Trouble with my older Marantz receiver. SR6006 Any ideas guys?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost certainly a physical intermittent, nothing to do with the microprocessor, or settings. As someone suggested, a bad solder joint or a relay. If you're comfortable with it, pop the cover and wiggle things around. Aside from the raw 120VAC probably nothing that could hurt you. Use an insulated tool just to be safe.

Also, you could clean and exercise all the switches and controls, with contact cleaner. And any chips in sockets, give them a push down with your fingers. You might hear a crunching sound as the contacts shift.

In addition to wiggling things, you could try circuit cooling spray on individual components.

Intermittents can be a bear to troubleshoot. You have to be comfortable with diddling around with things while it's operating. Unlike tube gear or ESL innards, there's very little inside that can hurt you.
Thanks for the advice. Luckily its in a place hardly used and wont cause much disruption while it is messed up. I really hate intermittent problems like this. Almost rather it just be messed up all of the time and I know for sure it is toast.

Well, the receiver was used many hours watching TV and streaming from Amazon TV. No problems! So now I'm thinking it could be the sound card on the pc, the optical jack on the receiver, or the optics cable.

Strange thing is, the sound was mute when I did the speaker level check on the receiver the last time it went silent. That points to the receiver having problems and not an outside force. I'm lost.

Maybe when I switched off the auto setting on digital vs analog input it fixes the issue. In the past it worked well but maybe the part that controls that went bad.

We need to play some hours of pc gaming now to see if that recreates the audio dropout.

Well, sounds cut out again. It's only the front left and right channels that cut out, the center channel is fine and plays while the fronts cut out. Once again I went into setting and tested the channel volume levels in the menu. Both the front channels had zero sound output while the center is fine. I'm not using the other 4 rear channels now, so don't know if they go out.

Oh, and I heard a relay flick when the sound went out. It makes the same sound as when you turn the avr on and off. Same exact clicking sound.

Turning the receiver on and off several times will get the channels back on again. Pain in the ass. The problem seems to be totally random. Sometimes it can be used for days and have no problems, and then other times it goes off several times an hour.

My opinion of Marantz is pretty bad now. This receiver isn't very old really. Never had a higher priced receiver like this go out. My new Marantz is now having firmware update issues. I started a thread on that. Doubt I will buy any more Marantz equipment.

Oh, and I heard a relay flick when the sound went out. It makes the same sound as when you turn the avr on and off. Same exact clicking sound.

Turning the receiver on and off several times will get the channels back on again. Pain in the ass. The problem seems to be totally random. Sometimes it can be used for days and have no problems, and then other times it goes off several times an hour.
This makes it sound like a flaky relay is the problem. Can you see the relay and tap on it through slots in the cover while it's acting up? If you can't reach it (and don't want to remove the cover), try some percussive diagnostics, ie banging on it to see if the relay is sticking and needs some 'encouragement.'

This makes it sound like a flaky relay is the problem. Can you see the relay and tap on it through slots in the cover while it's acting up? If you can't reach it (and don't want to remove the cover), try some percussive diagnostics, ie banging on it to see if the relay is sticking and needs some 'encouragement.'
Are there separate relays for each channel, or at least more than one? Somehow the center channel still works while the front right and left are out.

Back