Trouble with my older Marantz receiver. SR6006 Any ideas guys?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert D

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
The problem just started yesterday out of the blue. It has been fine for many years, and luckily this is on the spare home theater setup in the basement.

When my daughter was playing a PC game the sound cut out on all of the speakers. The only speaker making sound was the subwoofer. I only have 3 channels connected: left, center, and right. The 3 speakers were silent for no reason. I checked on it for her and switched input over to the cable box and still no sound on tv. I then went into the menu and tried doing the white noise on each channel to see if they would work. The left and right channel had no noise but then the center channel worked. Still no sound from the left and right. I messed around with a few more settings trying to find something wrong but no luck. I unplugged the receiver and plugged it back in. Still no sound on the left and right speakers. I had already of course checked all of the physical connections.

Then all of the sudden the speakers all came back on again. Tonight she was playing another game and the sound did the same thing to her. Ive not been in the room when it occurs, so not sure if there is something I am missing. She turned everything off and then about an hour later I checked it again and the sound is just fine now. I had it on the cable box to watch tv for about 30 minutes and watching youtube videos and it didnt cut out again.

I read in the manual about "resetting the microprocessor". A process where you turn off the power. Then hold the power button while at the same time pressing zone select and DIsplay buttons at the same time. Its supposed to do some kind of factory reset. I havent done it yet because Id hate to lose all of my settings for no reason. Id like to not have to do audyssey again and redo all of the HDMI and digital input settings. If the problem occurs a 3rd time then I guess I really have no choice.

Anyone ever have this happen to them? Im stumped. It seems like somehow the amp(S) are going out? It really isnt that old and hasnt been used much the last 3 years or so. Ive got a Denon receiver that is more than 20 years old and works like new. Hard to believe a Marantz would crap out like this. The red lights are not coming on to indicate a bad amp. Maybe they came on and I didnt notice it or missed it because I wasnt in the room when it happened.

Doesnt make sense why the sound would cut out and then come back on later. She said it was cutting in and out while playing the game. When I checked it out, both the left and right channels were not working. Then bam, they came back on and were fine.

I checked to see if we have the latest firmware and we do.

Anyone know what doing the reset of the microprocessor does exactly? The manual doesnt really explain it well. Im wondering if it takes the firmware back to how it was shipped and then I have to reupdate it again?

This webpage has the manual at the bottom along with other manuals. Hoping I can get this working right again, dont really want to try to buy another receiver now. Last time I had to it was real hard to even find one.

SR6006 (marantz.com)

Intermittent electrical is the last thing I'd want to attempt to repair. Unless that was one of the high-end AV processors of its time, I'd just replace it with something basic if it's main uses are gaming and casual TV use.

But before even considering that, have you checked the physical connections for everything? Make sure all your speaker, HDMI and power cables are fully inserted and see if the problem recurs.

If you hook the game console up to another AVR in the house, does sound drop there too? I'm wondering if something bad in the console could've triggered a safety cut-out on the SR6006.

Intermittent electrical is the last thing I'd want to attempt to repair. Unless that was one of the high-end AV processors of its time, I'd just replace it with something basic if it's main uses are gaming and casual TV use.

But before even considering that, have you checked the physical connections for everything? Make sure all your speaker, HDMI and power cables are fully inserted and see if the problem recurs.

If you hook the game console up to another AVR in the house, does sound drop there too? I'm wondering if something bad in the console could've triggered a safety cut-out on the SR6006.
When a safety protection comes on, a red light is supposed to flash. It also does it with multiple inputs. Sounds like some of those relays as described on that web page I found. If I turn it off and on enough it will come back on.

It's a shame because it's a decent receiver. Spent $1100 on it 10 years ago. I will probably have to replace it. Looking at getting another Yamaha I think. I was hoping it wasn't a hardware issue but seems to be.

Today I did the factory reset. Later turned it off and back on. No sound. Turned it off and then back on, sound.

We game on a PC.

I had another idea what could be wrong. Seems it has an ability to automatically decide what form the source is: digital, hdmi, or analog. Maybe that went bad? I tried setting each input to either hdmi or digital rather than have it on auto. Still need to test it more. So far it hasn't cut out.

I had an issue like that with an older Yamaha and it was the thermal protection kicking in. I felt over the top and the receiver was HOT. It was creating heat because a bunch of solders were cracked. When the solders crack the signal doesn't disappear right away - it starts arcing and generating a lot of heat.

Thing is, receivers like that are almost disposable. If you can't solder yourself, then it will probably be cheaper to just buy a new one. I pitched my garage receiver (old sony) this year and bought a replacement on craigslist for $80.

-Geoff

I had an issue like that with an older Yamaha and it was the thermal protection kicking in. I felt over the top and the receiver was HOT. It was creating heat because a bunch of solders were cracked. When the solders crack the signal doesn't disappear right away - it starts arcing and generating a lot of heat.

Thing is, receivers like that are almost disposable. If you can't solder yourself, then it will probably be cheaper to just buy a new one. I pitched my garage receiver (old sony) this year and bought a replacement on craigslist for $80.

-Geoff
Wondering if it's not something like that. If thermal protection comes on it is supposed to have a red light come on, but it doesn't and the sound doesn't come on sometimes after first turning it on, even after it's been off 24 hrs or more. So probably not heat.

Just sucks throwing out a receiver I paid $1100 for. It's equivalent now would cost even more.

Wondering if it's not something like that. If thermal protection comes on it is supposed to have a red light come on, but it doesn't and the sound doesn't come on sometimes after first turning it on, even after it's been off 24 hrs or more. So probably not heat.

Just sucks throwing out a receiver I paid $1100 for. It's equivalent now would cost even more.
It could be specific to the input like you are saying. I would just keep playing around with it - see if you can narrow down to where the problem specifically happens. Try different physical plugs and if you have A B speakers, try those too.

-Geoff

It could be specific to the input like you are saying. I would just keep playing around with it - see if you can narrow down to where the problem specifically happens. Try different physical plugs and if you have A B speakers, try those too.

-Geoff
Yeah, I thought about going to B terminals for the fronts, but the center channel drops too. So I've not done it yet.

Going to test it out now after having set the inputs specifically instead of on Auto.

I would also try swapping in a different (preferably known to be good) HDMI cable, and try different HDMI inputs too as SGG suggests above.
The big thing to me is the fact that when I run the speaker level test in the menu and do the white noise, no noise at all comes from any of the 3 speakers. They are all silent. So that doesnt even depend on any cables since the sound is originating from the AVR itself.

Right now its working as normal. WIll just have to wait and see what happens.

Hate to just throw it in the trash. If someone is handy and knows electronics, im sure it can be fixed, and maybe even relatively cheap with the parts. The labor is what costs.

The problem just started yesterday out of the blue. It has been fine for many years, and luckily this is on the spare home theater setup in the basement.

When my daughter was playing a PC game the sound cut out on all of the speakers. The only speaker making sound was the subwoofer. I only have 3 channels connected: left, center, and right. The 3 speakers were silent for no reason. I checked on it for her and switched input over to the cable box and still no sound on tv. I then went into the menu and tried doing the white noise on each channel to see if they would work. The left and right channel had no noise but then the center channel worked. Still no sound from the left and right. I messed around with a few more settings trying to find something wrong but no luck. I unplugged the receiver and plugged it back in. Still no sound on the left and right speakers. I had already of course checked all of the physical connections.

Then all of the sudden the speakers all came back on again. Tonight she was playing another game and the sound did the same thing to her. Ive not been in the room when it occurs, so not sure if there is something I am missing. She turned everything off and then about an hour later I checked it again and the sound is just fine now. I had it on the cable box to watch tv for about 30 minutes and watching youtube videos and it didnt cut out again.

I read in the manual about "resetting the microprocessor". A process where you turn off the power. Then hold the power button while at the same time pressing zone select and DIsplay buttons at the same time. Its supposed to do some kind of factory reset. I havent done it yet because Id hate to lose all of my settings for no reason. Id like to not have to do audyssey again and redo all of the HDMI and digital input settings. If the problem occurs a 3rd time then I guess I really have no choice.

Anyone ever have this happen to them? Im stumped. It seems like somehow the amp(S) are going out? It really isnt that old and hasnt been used much the last 3 years or so. Ive got a Denon receiver that is more than 20 years old and works like new. Hard to believe a Marantz would crap out like this. The red lights are not coming on to indicate a bad amp. Maybe they came on and I didnt notice it or missed it because I wasnt in the room when it happened.

Doesnt make sense why the sound would cut out and then come back on later. She said it was cutting in and out while playing the game. When I checked it out, both the left and right channels were not working. Then bam, they came back on and were fine.

I checked to see if we have the latest firmware and we do.

Anyone know what doing the reset of the microprocessor does exactly? The manual doesnt really explain it well. Im wondering if it takes the firmware back to how it was shipped and then I have to reupdate it again?
You might try buying a can of circuit board cleaner and spraying the inside of the receiver. I do this every two years or so to get rid of built up dust/dirt that can accumulate if the receiver is in a cabinet.

Hey Robert did you ever purchase a replacement or fix the issue? If not I just replaced my Marantz AV7703 with the Trinnov and its just sitting around collecting dust if you want to make me an offer? I mean if you are interested in used.
Well, it's in a place that doesn't get used a lot so I've not had much of a chance to test it out more. One of my daughters uses it the most but she's not been on it any. She's busy with graduation stuff.

Not sure what I am going to do about it. She might end up using it some this weekend. I'm still not 100% convinced the receiver is bad. I also feel foolish spending much on it because it mostly just sits in the basement. Used would make sense maybe. Just have to figure out what I want to do. Thanks for the offer. That gives me another option.

Almost certainly a physical intermittent, nothing to do with the microprocessor, or settings. As someone suggested, a bad solder joint or a relay. If you're comfortable with it, pop the cover and wiggle things around. Aside from the raw 120VAC probably nothing that could hurt you. Use an insulated tool just to be safe.

Also, you could clean and exercise all the switches and controls, with contact cleaner. And any chips in sockets, give them a push down with your fingers. You might hear a crunching sound as the contacts shift.

In addition to wiggling things, you could try circuit cooling spray on individual components.

Intermittents can be a bear to troubleshoot. You have to be comfortable with diddling around with things while it's operating. Unlike tube gear or ESL innards, there's very little inside that can hurt you.

Latest posts

Back