Trim Rails for Aeon i

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attyonline

Reaction score
I did a search but did not find an answer. The new ML website no longer has this info, but I would like to know if ML made piano black trim rails for the Aeon i? Thanks for the info. :)

attyonline said:
I did a search but did not find an answer. The new ML website no longer has this info, but I would like to know if ML made piano black trim rails for the Aeon i? Thanks for the info. :)

Not sure if they did, but give them a call. For the right price, they seem to accommodate most trim requests.

Or, you could just take the trim boards off your current set and take them to a qualified and reputable furniture craftsperson and ask them to do it for you.

Several people have done that when looking to change the color of the trim, usually going darker.

Also, some have reported craftspeople willing to 'duplicate' the form and hookups of the rails in other materials such as Corian. That looks particularly nice with today's synthetic materials.

Cheers,

Yes they did make Piano Black. This is what I plan on getting once I get back to the states.

I had an extra pair of maple Aeon rails that I sanded the polyurethane coating off and then stained the wood to look like dark walnut to match my Salamander walnut credenza. I then clearcoated the wood and it matches very well. However, I came across a deal on pair of dark cherry that match my teak wood furniture so i'm now using those.

If anyone is interested I'll sell the walnut stained trim set for $40. It would be a good candidate for converting to piano black. Just sand lightly with very fine paper and paint with gloss black. Clear coating on top of that is optional. Very easy to do.

Last edited:
Craig said:
It would be a good candidate for converting to piano black. Just sand lightly with very fine paper and paint with gloss black. Clear coating on top of the that is optional. Very easy to do.

Craig, glad to hear you have had some success in changing the color by yourself. I currently have the Maple finish and read some posts on here about a year ago to not attempt as it was overly difficult to do well. Perhaps I will give it a shot.

It isn't hard to do but it is very time consuming to sand all sides of 4 rails and then to apply layers of coats not to mention lightly sanding between clear coats. I recommend using an electric palm sander, oil based stain and polyurethane. It took 3-4 coats of walnut stain to match the dark walnut color of the Salamander A/V rack.

I would think re-coloring Ascent trim panels would be easier since they are flat and you only have to be concerned with one side. If I get brave I might try it on the black Ascent trim panels. If it doesn't work I can always just go ahead and buy the wood type I really wanted anyway. Also, it would be a relatively simple job to cut the wood and make your own Ascent trim panels. If you can do that you could make some panels using the exotic wood of your choice.

Last edited:
Back