Trigger Pulled: Upgrade

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beakman

Reaction score
I went to the ML dealer yesterday, being it was a "customer sale" day and also I was having questions about my system's sound characteristics. I was demo'ed a pair of Vistas using Krell head equipment and a CD I was familiar with. Needles to say, I was enthralled by their sound. Unfortunately, if I wanted to use the upgrade program offered, I could only go for the Vantage or better, an expensive proposition either way. I told the salesman I'd think about it some more and as I started to leave, I noticed a demo setup with my current speakers (Aeon i) in another demo room. Just for the heck of it I asked to play the aformentioned CD on that system, all good head equipment, and lo and behold, the same sound anomolies I was hearing at home. Nothing wrong with the speakers or equipment as I had thought, just my ears being trained by good sound after years of abuse by lesser equipment.
Originally when I chose the Aeon i's, I compared them to the Polk Lsi25's and thought the ML's as much more open and dynamic. However, difference between the Aeon i and the newer panelled Vista was incredibly apparent, a whole dimension in the timbre of the vocal of the demo CD. I was sold. A down payment went on a pair of Vantages. Now I can concentrate on upgrading the head equipment, which i will post a question about.

As a future new owner of ML (on order), let me be the first to congratulate you! I have no idea how good the Vantages will sound in my room, but from everyone here, they are great!!:rocker:

Thanks. I have no doubt whatsoever you'll enjoy yours (ML's) too.

Beakman...

Welcome to the wonderful and crazy world of audiophilia.... especially ML audiophilia! Glad you went with the Vantages... those are superb speakers!

Joey

Beakman, Welcome ! As a happy and satisfied owner of Vantage's for a year now I'm sure you will be the same with your purchase as well !

Hope your'e able to join us @ "The Get Together" next June in Lawrence too !

Vantages / Krell System...

Beakman,

:D Welcome to the ML Club!
Congratulations on your Vantage purchase. :D You plan to up-grading (Joeyitis) to Krell electronics - Processor and Amp in the future?

Thanks,everybody, for both the congratulations and the reassurances. Hopefully I can live with the current head equipment for awhile, as the speaker upgrade has used all my (not so) spare change for the year.

Follow Up:
I just picked up the Vantages this afternoon and what a world of difference! First, the cabinet is a lot less imposing than my previous Aeon i's, so I can bring them out from the front wall a little more. Whether this has a proportionate effect in the stageing and image I don't know. What I do know is that the imaging and resonance are much, much improved. The placement of the speakers are easier to make and the structure of the room is much more dynamic in effect, all in a good way.
The bass is beautifully present and intergrated even (obviously) before break-in, allowing for total bypass on the prosesser, allowing me to give the cheesy sub I have the boot, and this with the woofer adjustment in the negative.
Once again, as when I brought the Aeon's home, familiar personal reference material has become new and exotic, the Beatles "White Album" in particular. I can only imagine what improved head equipment can do for these speakers. Actually, I have had a brief taste at the dealer, and look forward to the day when that happens.
One small complaint though. The receivers for the feet / floor spikes in the front of the cabinets don't give enough travel for the threads to be fully used, they are set too deep.
Very nice, though :D

Follow Up:
I just picked up the Vantages this afternoon and what a world of difference! First, the cabinet is a lot less imposing than my previous Aeon i's, so I can bring them out from the front wall a little more. Whether this has a proportionate effect in the stageing and image I don't know. What I do know is that the imaging and resonance are much, much improved. The placement of the speakers are easier to make and the structure of the room is much more dynamic in effect, all in a good way.
The bass is beautifully present and intergrated even (obviously) before break-in, allowing for total bypass on the prosesser, allowing me to give the cheesy sub I have the boot, and this with the woofer adjustment in the negative.
Once again, as when I brought the Aeon's home, familiar personal reference material has become new and exotic, the Beatles "White Album" in particular. I can only imagine what improved head equipment can do for these speakers. Actually, I have had a brief taste at the dealer, and look forward to the day when that happens.
One small complaint though. The receivers for the feet / floor spikes in the front of the cabinets don't give enough travel for the threads to be fully used, they are set too deep.
Very nice, though :D

They are fabulous speakers -- so detailed and lifelike and capable on so much music and yet so non-fatiguing. FWIW, I found Joey's and others' setup instructions to be right on the money -- these do seem to require a bit more toe-in than usual in my room. Enjoy!

k

Play with them and carefully toe them in... you should notice things snap in place. Atleast, that's mine and Kirk's experience (along with others).

Congrats!

Joey

Back