Tri-corner Bass Traps

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theWB

Reaction score
http://www.asc-home-theater.com/tricornertrap.htm

Anyone here ever use these Tri-corner traps.There $100 a piece.In theory it sounds like they would work,but I'm not so sure because of the small size,they're just 19"x25"x25".I'm thinking of getting them for the rear corners of my room where I have the script i's mounted.I have the scripts mounted upside down in my room so the woofer is towards the ceiling,figure these might help clean up the bass coming from the scripts. I currently have 2 acoustical panels from GIK mounted directly behind my mains and to Tri-traps from GIK in the front corners.

Thanks,Wayne

From the link:
Each Trap includes built-in diffusion strips to help keep sound bright and lively.
Good!

You are talking about the upper triangles and not the big corner tower, right?

I think they work, one of those “bang for the buck” products. Making your own can be even more cost effective.

I don't think the triangles really absorb bass (like the large corner trap), but they make better behaved room acoustics, which should be most noticeable in the bass.

How it works with the room is that most of the sound is deflected (I'm not talking down to you or telling you something you already know, am I?), and a smaller amount of the sound sine wave energy is allowed to pass through. The longer (physically, some bass is three feet long) bass wave lengths bounce off the wall and hit the backside of the triangle getting trapped. Once trapped they dispate their energy in mechanical form.

kach22i said:
From the link:

Good!

You are talking about the upper triangles and not the big corner tower, right?

kach22i,

Yes I'm talking about the triangles against the ceiling and corners of the room.Has anyone had any expierence with them.I have tri-traps from GIK Acoustics in the front corners of my room,these are 4 foot towers I only paid a $129 a piece for. These triangles for the upper corners run $100 a piece.Just wondering if anyones used them and do they feel they're worth the $100 price point.My plan is to put them in the rear corners of the room.Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

theWB said:
kach22i,

Yes I'm talking about the triangles against the ceiling and corners of the room.

The triangles and their claims are focused on RT-60 . That is to say, sound decay reverbration times. I don't see where they claim to be bass absorbers or tuners/tweekers of particular frequencies.

Google search:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=RT-60+&btnG=Google+Search

Know what you are buying and why, and give this thread a little time so some other people can add their opinion.

For reference-1:
I have HT speakers positioned high up in my two rear corners. They are mounted on 2x8's mitered at a 45 degree angle. I have a wad of batt insulation behind the one foot long 2x8. It's open top and bottom so sound can circulate but perhaps at certian times be trapped or deflected.

For reference-2:
A high end shop I once went into used cardboard or foam core board in their corners. It worked so well it was never replaced with the expensive stuff. The duct tape did look silly, I think they upgraded the tape to something clear after a while.

Back