Took the plunge today.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beat_Dominator

Reaction score
Almost literally :p I took apart my Sequell IIs today and washed off the panels and cleaned up the x-overs. I probably need to replace most of the foam tape as well to secure the woofer panels better while I'm at it.

It's killing me though! I want to see if it made a difference NOW! :eek: The thing that prompted me doing this is a very poor lower-midrange performance. I know that this was one of the faults of the earlier hybrid designs but I'm fairly certain that it should not be as bad as it had been. Seeing as how my MLs were made in '89, having the lower portion of the panels performing poorly seems probable as dust would settle down there over time.

Wish me luck!

Good luck on that!
So far my Sequel 1s still have a good balance of sound top to bottom, but then again they don't have many hours on them, and don't have much dust in the lower part of the panels. It'll be good to know the results of your cleanup!

They are all re-assembled now! I want to plug em in so bad but I know I should let them dry up a little more :(

Beat_Dominator said:
They are all re-assembled now! I want to plug em in so bad but I know I should let them dry up a little more :(
All you had to do was blow fans (one on top half and one on lower half) on the front and back of the panels for an hour each. That is how I dried mine up and they were fine.

I let them air dry in the back for about 3 hours and then left them alone after I had assembeled them for another 2 hours.

Results: I'd say there was a decent gain in performance top-to-bottom. Nothing huge in my mind but the added response up high was a nice surprise. I thought I was getting enough up there but I was missing out on a few octaves I guess ;)

In all I'd say it was worth the effort as my MLs were bought used. If you factor in Cost/Performance ratio I'd say it would be worth doing every 1-2 years.... if you live in a clean environment.

After doing this and seeing the panels in new light (literally :p ) I have decided that replacements are deffinately in order. There are at lest two spots that look like there are holes in the panels and a few wrinkles here and there. They sound great right now but I'm sure it will be well worth the money to upgrade in the future!

Back