Toobs part 2!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice one Joey - remember to have the SA102 muted when you turn the tube preamp on as any d.c. at the preamp outputs will be amplified hugely as the SA102 is direct coupled. There can be a bit of d.c. with many tube preamps at start up. Let the tube preamp stablise for a minute or so at startup before unmuting the Plinius.

Takes about 48 hrs to really come on song and will chew 1100 V/A in Class A. Can you devote a circuit to the amplifier or is that not a practical reality at the moment?

Plinius is a great sound with ML and may be a solution that you do not step away from.

Kevin

Kevin,

So.. you're saying that either the amp has to be on mute before tube pre is turned on or the amp has to be off before tube pre is turned on?

Everyone else.... the Plinius SA102 has shipped! Brand new with full warranty from dealer for a very very good price (I think). Looking forward to a head/head with the Rotel 1090.

*Stoked*!!!

Joey :D :D :D

Audiobliss,

Nice to see you here! :)

Joey_V said:
Kevin,

So.. you're saying that either the amp has to be on mute before tube pre is turned on or the amp has to be off before tube pre is turned on?

QUOTE]

Leave power amp on. Hit mute switch before turning tube preamp on. Tubes often have bit of d.c. at powerup. Quite a few preamps have a start up sequence where the output stage is not engaged until the preamp has stabilised (don't know if the Rogue has this feature) because of this problem.

We run an all valve dynamic speaker setup as well as the Plinius/ML setup. During a bit of a component swopping fiddle between systems I forgot to mute the SA102s (running as monoblocs into Osborn speakers) and thought I had cooked the tweeters when I turned the valved Consonance preamp on. No damage done but a horrendous noise before I got to the mute switches on the SA102s. :eek: :eek: :eek:

The ML screen is pretty robust but do not do this to yourself. :p

Kevin

Had a glance at the Rogue site. Not much info on the Metis but it does have a soft start feature and the product manuals for the other preamps specifically talk about an on sequence with the output stages engaging after an initial stabilisation period. You can probably ignore my warning but check with either the dealer or Rogue about this.

Kevin

Joey_V said:
Everyone else.... the Plinius SA102 has shipped!
Joey...Good news for you!!! BTW...what day is the amp coming in? Dude you like you are under the weather and is that a cough I hear???? Man, you better take a day or two off to get rid of that nasty cold of yours. :eek: You can stay nice and warm getting over that cold of you right next to the Plinius. :D

Dan

Joey_V said:
2 more days..... and counting....
Ah yes, this brings us all back to the days of being a kid and Christmas just two days away, but it seemed to take forever for those two days to pass!!!

Remember like KWR stated, give it a day or two to really settle in and get sounding good.

Also with the cold weather upon our Nothern states, make sure to let the amp warm up to room temp before firing it up. The warehouses, shipping docks, and trucks will keep the amp pretty cold.

Dan

DTB300 said:
Also with the cold weather upon our Nothern states, make sure to let the amp warm up to room temp before firing it up.
And then you can flip the amp into class A, and let the amp warm up the room! :D

Spike

WOW Joey,

I go away for 4 days and all of this. I will have to come over and listen again.
:)

Hey Joey, Dan's got a good idea there, you can take a look at the stand I have for mine and you will notice it is completely open UNDER the heat sinks as well thus allowing the "chimney" effect in so far as excellent air circulation up through the cooling fins / heat sinks.

Kiddo, not only do we want to see pics of the amp in it's new home but also the one of that you know what grin on you face !!!!!

Robin said:
Joey,

:D Way to go Joey! The Plinius SA102 has an excellent reputation. ;)

Thanks Robin!! I hadn't seen you reply to my toob threads lately and I was beginning to wonder where you went!:p

Toobs and Plinius Excellent Combo...

Joey,

Well, thank you for the kind words... :) Yes, I think your Roge pre-amplifier and Plinius SA102 is an awesome combination. Your ears will be in sonic nirvana heaven for sure... :D I guess I'm a bit envious, though very happy for you, Joey.

Sometimes I have this feeling that by the time I've actually saved up enough money to purchase my toobed amplifiers, source (CD/SACD) and possibly pre-amp, ML will have finially come out with the new CLX speakers and Descent i. I just know I'll end-up purchasing the CLX's and the new Descent i instead. I estimate the CLX's will be around, $12,000 to $17,000 for a no frills, basic pair of CLX speakers, and the Descent i - probably around $4,000 - $5,000. Oh well, I guess, I could run the CLX's and Descent temporarally with my, reserved-for-my-son (Pioneer Receiver), which I have currently moth-balled away in my garge. At least until I can save up (again) for my toob amps & CD/SADC source and possibly pre-amp. At least I'll have the very best speakers made, at any rate... :)

Cherian said:
WOW Joey,

I go away for 4 days and all of this. I will have to come over and listen again.
:)

Anytime Cherian.... anytime.

And this is just the beginning.

Wait till you hear what's coming next.

Joey_V said:
Dont discount the Summits just yet, Robin!

Joey :p
Yeah, by the time the clx comes out, you will be able to get a great deal on Joey's used Summits when he upgrades. :D

Back