To "i" or not?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Taz

Looking to upgrade my speakers to Ascent and Cinema. My questions is how much a difference the "i" makes. And if I look at older non "i" what should I look for in used Logans?

i believe the newer "i"s have a better woofer and newer panel with better dispersion. if the price is very close, i would opt for the "i".

Taz said:
Looking to upgrade my speakers to Ascent and Cinema. My questions is how much a difference the "i" makes. And if I look at older non "i" what should I look for in used Logans?
I take it you have Ascents now and are thinking about buying new woofers and panels to upgrade them to “i” status?

If I remember correctly the upgrade was $850.00, you will get a little more punch from the new aluminum woofers and a little more open less forward sound from the 2nd gen panels, not to mention the better looking clear spars. Not sure if the 5 to 10% gain if worth $850? But if the money is burning a hole in your pocket I say go for it.

Taz said:
No I have Claritys looking to purchase.
If I was buying a pair of ascents and had the choice between Ascent and Ascent i, I would defiantly go for the “i”. I liked the woofer in the “i” better; also the clear spars are a big plus in my book. Are you going to sell the clarity’s or use them for surrounds?

Minor difference in sound but worth it if price differential is small, primarily for resale. :)

Zip3kx07 said:
If I was buying a pair of ascents and had the choice between Ascent and Ascent i, I would defiantly go for the “i”. I liked the woofer in the “i” better; also the clear spars are a big plus in my book. Are you going to sell the clarity’s or use them for surrounds?
Looking to sell the clarity's no room. I have fresco's mounted on the wall. I was planning on the i's but I thought I would ask to see about the differences to see if it would be worth it to save a few bucks.

Taz said:
Looking to sell the clarity's no room. I have fresco's mounted on the wall. I was planning on the i's but I thought I would ask to see about the differences to see if it would be worth it to save a few bucks.
Either way you go I think you will be more then happy.

If you are going to make a change don't bother with the i. There is a difference but not that significant. Go with the vantage is a vastly improved product. Even the vista is a real improvement over the ascent i

Mrjb said:
If you are going to make a change don't bother with the i. There is a difference but not that significant. Go with the vantage is a vastly improved product. Even the vista is a real improvement over the ascent i
Anyone have thoughts on this? Vantage is probably to much, unless I would find some super deal used.

Last edited:
Back