To Buy Or Not To Buy

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TiBoneFramer

Reaction score
Guys, I have a question and am looking for opinions. I think I am going to do it either way but am willing to be talked out of.

I have a SMALL home theater area. 9' deep by 13' wide. This area is open on both sides, one side to a mini kitchen, then other to a closet and back door. This is located in my finished basement. This is not ideal, but sounds GREAT to my ears! We were planning on moving, but gonna have to hold off until this market adjust itself in our area. I was dead set on buying a pair of 15As this year as a real treat, but now with the lack of a dedicated full room coming, what do I do?

Speakers are 6 1/2 feet apart and I sit 6 1/2 feet back from them. No more room in any direction. The have heavy absorption behind them and sound GREAT! They are Montis speakers. If I get 15As, their backs are touching the rear wall, woofer or no woofer, so the panel will be 28" away from the back wall which can be treated and actually on one side is open straight back for 12'. Just one has a hard stop with accoustic treatment. No walls on either side for 5' or 15' (depending side...room aint symmetrical.)

Should I purchase the speakers and enjoy them even though they are not ideally set up? Will they still be an improvement over the Montis? Or will I do more harm by putting them in this space?

All thoughts welcome

I'd also wait until you move. You'll avoid having to move the speakers and by then this inflation will be down. You might even save a few $$ waiting to buy.

You guys think they will sound that bad?
Not bad, exactly. But the bass will definitely be stifled (an All In The Family word) from being its best.

With plenty of absorption behind them, I doubt there would be any issue with the backwave from the panels. So it's really just all about that bass, to quote a song lyric.

Here's my .02. I had the same dilemma 1.5 years ago. Had a good deal on 15A, but had a tiny spot. I know I was moving etc. Ended up buying the 15 A at a great price and stored them at my friends house until I moved. I took over a small amp and tested them while they waited. Once in my new home, had my buddy bring them over and we set up in the new proper sized room. This worked for me and yes the bass and panels need some space. Also my buddy is 6'4 - 360lb and can hang 80" tv's up on ladders by himself so I do have an advantage of Bull power lol. Good luck in your decision!

I also have a slightly larger room than the one you mentioned. The speakers need room to breath at least 3 ft' from the front wall. Speakers are 78inch's apart. With this set up I have a fair small soundstage. I have some imaging but not near where these speakers can deliver. Sound stage is also pretty shallow. If you know your going to move I would wait and get what you want, Right now it sounds like you are settling for something close. Trust me that is not a good decision. GOOD LUCK

Seems you have some $$$ burning a hole in your pocket!
Unless there is another price-hike coming along, there is no point in getting the 15's now. If you don't have a specific house in mind yet, with HT /Audio listening room size defined, why would you be buying a specific pair of speakers right now? What we all DO know is that room placement can make or break ML systems... you have no room defined, so don't do it yet!

If you want to spend your bucks, maybe upgrade amp or pre/pro, etc. They will travel well! What amp/front end are you currently using?

Personally I'd be looking at maybe the 11A at the largest. Electrostatic speakers really require some room to breathe and those 15A are for very large rooms and will not perform the greatest when shoved against a wall. A lot of the spacious sound that ESLs are famous for is created by bouncing sound off the back wall, the closer to the wall you get the more you diminish the sound stage.
Even the smaller models need a minimum of 2ft off the wall. You can always sell whatever you end up buying if you move.

Not bad, exactly. But the bass will definitely be stifled (an All In The Family word) from being its best.

With plenty of absorption behind them, I doubt there would be any issue with the backwave from the panels. So it's really just all about that bass, to quote a song lyric.
How does running a 40hz crossover affect that? I understand it wont be best for say 300hz where vocals are being produced, but how bad can it really be?

Here's my .02. I had the same dilemma 1.5 years ago. Had a good deal on 15A, but had a tiny spot. I know I was moving etc. Ended up buying the 15 A at a great price and stored them at my friends house until I moved. I took over a small amp and tested them while they waited. Once in my new home, had my buddy bring them over and we set up in the new proper sized room. This worked for me and yes the bass and panels need some space. Also my buddy is 6'4 - 360lb and can hang 80" tv's up on ladders by himself so I do have an advantage of Bull power lol. Good luck in your decision!
Love the story! Ask your buddy if he wants to come gimme a hand lol.

By the way, what kind of ladder supports 300lbs+++ an 80" TV??

I also have a slightly larger room than the one you mentioned. The speakers need room to breath at least 3 ft' from the front wall. Speakers are 78inch's apart. With this set up I have a fair small soundstage. I have some imaging but not near where these speakers can deliver. Sound stage is also pretty shallow. If you know your going to move I would wait and get what you want, Right now it sounds like you are settling for something close. Trust me that is not a good decision. GOOD LUCK
Thank you for the advice. Maybe I should re-phrase the question....will they sound worse than my current Montis? I have an Illusion butted against the wall with absorption and it sounds amazing! Also 3 BF 212 subs and they rock...I know the speakers wont be anywhere near their best, but as long as it is better than my current set up, I feel I can live with that.

What is the worst imaginable outcome, if you get the speakers now? Either this outcome is acceptable, or it is not!
Worst is they sound worse than my Montis, and that would suck. Same or better I think I am in.

Seems you have some $$$ burning a hole in your pocket!
Unless there is another price-hike coming along, there is no point in getting the 15's now. If you don't have a specific house in mind yet, with HT /Audio listening room size defined, why would you be buying a specific pair of speakers right now? What we all DO know is that room placement can make or break ML systems... you have no room defined, so don't do it yet!

If you want to spend your bucks, maybe upgrade amp or pre/pro, etc. They will travel well! What amp/front end are you currently using?
Money just isnt a concern if I am honest. House will be bought only if it has the space to build the dedicated room I need in the basement. No room no purchase, so I dont think it'll be a big deal but great point.

Mcintosh MX180 and 1.25KW LCR

Personally I'd be looking at maybe the 11A at the largest. Electrostatic speakers really require some room to breathe and those 15A are for very large rooms and will not perform the greatest when shoved against a wall. A lot of the spacious sound that ESLs are famous for is created by bouncing sound off the back wall, the closer to the wall you get the more you diminish the sound stage.
Even the smaller models need a minimum of 2ft off the wall. You can always sell whatever you end up buying if you move.
Fair, but at an 11" wide panel I'd never ourchase them. Doesn't seem like a big enough jump from my Montis, especially since I hate the idea of 8" woofers. I am SURE the 11A SMOKE the Montis, but I wont be buying them. I thought 13A, but always have my panel vertical and have to admit I really want the 15.

FWIW I am watching movies only and never 2 ch music. I dont think the compromises are as big a deal as if I was a die hard stereo guy

Fair, but at an 11" wide panel I'd never ourchase them. Doesn't seem like a big enough jump from my Montis, especially since I hate the idea of 8" woofers. I am SURE the 11A SMOKE the Montis, but I wont be buying them. I thought 13A, but always have my panel vertical and have to admit I really want the 15.

FWIW I am watching movies only and never 2 ch music. I dont think the compromises are as big a deal as if I was a die hard stereo guy
If youre using it as a theater only, then you may want to consider traditional speakers like ML in-walls. Three of these up front in your new place would sound great.

https://www.martinlogan.com/en/product/monument-7xw
Youd have money left over to put in surrounds and atmos speakers in the ceiling too, instead of spending $29k on a pair of speakers. Many of the guys here that know home theater well say that a traditional cone speaker is better for home theater. Personally, I use a set of Prodigy speakers for my fronts, a focus center, 4 surround in-walls, and then 4 more ceiling atmos speakers. I use my current setup for 2 channel music as well as home theater.

When we finally build another home I plan on having a dedicated home theater, and if I dont use that for music I would go with those ML in-walls for my front left and right channels as well as center.

That's a great point Robert, the comment about 'movies only' went over my head.

The Statement would be my first choice for a theater, no question about it. And if money was not a problem, I'd use them for all bed channels. Room size almost doesn't matter, but you do need walls. They are great speakers!

And, . . .
You could get them with the surface mount boxes and use them now, then, when you move they'd be easy to unmount and take with.

Latest posts

Back