Tilt??????????????????????

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

ES Fan

Not sure if I have the tilt adjusted properly on my Aerius. I have taken a level and made sure that front to back on the woofer enclosure is level which has the top of the speaker further back than the bottom. Is this how to do it?

ES Fan said:
Not sure if I have the tilt adjusted properly on my Aerius. I have taken a level and made sure that front to back on the woofer enclosure is level which has the top of the speaker further back than the bottom. Is this how to do it?
hola...the tilt has to do with your highs and your room. If you are not getting too much highs or when you stand up, there is a big difference in getting highs, what you have to do is, with the help of the feet, unscrew the front feet two or three turns, and listen again...do this several times until de desired sound is achieved. if you want to do it faster, with the help of two coins at the front feet, will lift some the speaker and listen...hope this help...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Which way gives more/less highs and is level on the woofer enclosure the "proper" setup?

ES Fan said:
Which way gives more/less highs and is level on the woofer enclosure the "proper" setup?
The proper setup is when you get the desired sound you like.

Try them perfectly verticle (bubble in the middle of level), then try them tilted back - front feet higher than back, and vise versa.

Also do like Joey, and play around with toe-in or toe-out and see which sounds better.

For me with trial and testing, I prefer my speakers tilted back some, with just a little bit of toe-in.

Dan

I have my Aerius tilted forward a little so that I am listening to just under halfway down the panel. I find this gives the best balance in my room and with the added benefit of not losing too much of the high frequency when standing in the room.

Just play with the tilt until you get the balance and focus you like.

So as I understand it, if you tilt the speakers back, the highs are diminished, tilt forward and highs are increased? :confused:

attyonline said:
So as I understand it, if you tilt the speakers back, the highs are diminished, tilt forward and highs are increased? :confused:
It typically depends on if you sit high or low on the panel. If your seating is above the panel, you would be more inclined to tilt the panels back. If your seating is low, you would be more inclined to tilt the panels forward.

The easiest way to tell is just stand a bit up in your seating position. If the high frequencies sound better than you'd want to tilt the panels forward. If they sound worse you may want to tilt the panels back.

attyonline said:
In a word..................YES.

Just angle them so it sounds good to YOU. :)

When looking at my speakers from the side I could see that they were not sitting at the same angles (one tilted further back than the other). This was probably due to sitting on carpet with pad and uneven adjustment of the extended spikes. To match them up I used an angle guage (also called an angle level) placed on the front of the panel to align my speakers. However, don't use the magnet edge on the panel. I don't know if would do anything negative but why take a chance. One was reading 6 degrees and the other was at 8 degrees so I extended a pair of rear spikes on one speaker so they are both at 6 degrees. I did notice an improvement in the highs and midrange and overall sound.

The angle level can be found at the local hardware store for less the $10 and comes in handy for vertically aligning speakers.

Last edited:
Back