Tilt

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aburnham2

Reaction score
I just tilted my Sequel 2s up about 8 degrees, and sound got better actually alot better? I will set them back level next week and listen to them. Any thoughts?

speaker angle (generally) corresponds to ones listening height when seated

That is a pretty radical angle!

So what's likely happening isyou are changing two things: the front wave is bouncing off the ceiling, so you have some direct some reflected sound from the front wave, which while that generates some comb-filtering, maybe move the soundstage in way you find pleasing.
What you are doing with an gle like that for the rear wave in likely hitting the floor/wall boundary behind the speaker, and if the floor is carpeted, more absorption. Also, you've removed the wall (the one behind the speaker) reflections, so you are likely getting much less energy from the rear wave, and as I've stated for years, that's a good thing in most cases.

So please try this, and I think you'll like the results: Return the Sequels to their full, upright position, and place some absorption on the wall directly behind them. For a temporary test, hang a couple of thick quilts, bed-covers, etc. on the wall or hung over some support. It's just to test.
The dampening of the rear wave will allow you to get the majority of the sound from the front of the panel (i.e. more direct, less reflected energy).

Management of the rear-wave is one of the keys to getting good dipole speaker performance.

Setting the panel angle to perpendicular eliminates any "time smear" delays. Highly recommended.

Latest posts

Back