Three Best Audiophile Moves I Ever Made

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raycrew77

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am proud to join this group.

Here's a little recent history. About two years ago I made what I consider to be the first of the three best audiophile moves I ever made when I purchased my first pair of electrostatic speakers, the Electromotion ESL's and an 1100X sub. The second was puchasing a previously owned pair of Aeon i's which I brought home last week. They needed some cosmetic TLC and a new set of feet but that was the easy part. When I fired them up for the first time I was disappointed by the muddy highs and mids. I tried vacumning the panels but there was no improvement. so I figured panel replacement was the only answer. Then I found this group through Ron at Martin Logan and read about putting the panels in the shower. It sounded crazy but after reading all the positive member testimonials I figured, "why not?" I only paid $600 for the Aeon's and they were unlistenable in their present condition. It took three rounds with the shower head over two days to get rid of the visible grime. With fingers crossed I reassembled everything this morning and hoped for the best. I used "Gaucho" by Steely Dan as my test CD and I was stunned at how good it sounded. Even my wife came downstairs and remarked that it sounded as though Donald Fagen was standing in the living room.

So, the third best audiophile mover I ever made was joining this group that taught me how to make an amazing pair of speakers sing again. Thank you! I only hope I can give back some wiisdom that will help someone else someday.

Welcome! I am sure you will find loads of hints here. Glad it worked out. Now you can explore upstream effect of associated equipment amps/preamps which these speakers are capable of revealing.
But first...placement,placement,placement.

Welcome Raycrew, glad you found us. You are apt to find many goofy ideas here that actually work for you. Reach out anytime you have a question or comment.

My best audiophile move was taken 18 years ago when I bought my first pair of Avantgarde speakers. Second was probably buying my first CD player decades ago, and third was getting started with streaming and ripping my CDs.

The Avantgarde move has been developed from Uno, to Duo to latest Duo XD. The CD move has developed from Denon player to Mark Levinson 390S to NAD M50.2. The third has developed from Sonos plus RipNAS to the same clever NAD M50.2 that offers CD play or rip, hard drive store and streaming.

Sadly the purchase of Martin Logan Expression 13As does not feature here, as they don't suit my room, but I'm sure if I lived with a sensible room, they may well have made the Top 3!

IMG_5952.JPG

Last edited:
My best audiophile move was taken 18 years ago when I bought my first pair of Avantgarde speakers. Second was probably buying my first CD player decades ago, and third was getting started with streaming and ripping my CDs.

The Avantgarde move has been developed from Uno, to Duo to latest Duo XD. The CD move has developed from Denon player to Mark Levinson 390S to NAD M50.2. The third has developed from Sonos plus RipNAS to the same clever NAD M50.2 that offers CD play or rip, hard drive store and streaming.

Sadly the purchase of Martin Logan Expression 13As does not feature here, as they don't suit my room, but I'm sure if I lived with a sensible room, they may well have made the Top 3!

View attachment 21130
Beautiful stereo setup, but that view out your window draws most of my attention! Great view.

View attachment 21130
Gorgeuous! I'm sure it sounds even better than it looks!

1. Purchasing SL3's 1998. Best $3100 ever invested. May have made a big mistake selling them this year.
2. VTL MB 250 made a magical combination with the SL3. Pure luck. I've tried quite a few through the years but no match.
3. Miles Theta CD still sounds wonderful

Funny how we all think a little differently. Avantgarde's catch my eye immediately but appear to block your room (but wonderful sounding no doubt)...where the ML's allow opportunity to see through the speakers to your wonderful view. Back light the ML's and you'll have magic IMHO.

I always wonder when I see that room, if that statue near the wall is just that, or a novelty bottle opener. :giggle:
Absolutely stunning room otherwise. I'm jealous...

Funny how we all think a little differently. Avantgarde's catch my eye immediately but appear to block your room (but wonderful sounding no doubt)...where the ML's allow opportunity to see through the speakers to your wonderful view. Back light the ML's and you'll have magic IMHO.

Yes I chose the MLs because of their transparency after my first trial run with electrostatics using a pair of Quad 2905s. They were like barn doors and the MLs certainly suit the room far better aesthetically, although I also considered these strange full-range tube active electrostatics, another "transparent" designs.

Looking again at my photo above, the AGs block a bit of sky, but little of of the more interesting land and sea. The MLs create a diffuse view. Both OK with me. The MLs sounded much better than the AGs from the dining area behind the speakers.

RDC - I wish I had the bottle that the wall-mounted "bottle opener" was made for!

Blanko Nu.jpg IMG_0105.JPG

Last edited:
Yes I chose the MLs because of their transparency after my first trial run with electrostatics using a pair of Quad 2905s. They were like barn doors and the MLs certainly suit the room far better aesthetically, although I also considered these strange full-range tube active electrostatics, another "transparent" designs.

Looking again at my photo above, the AGs block a bit of sky, but little of of the more interesting land and sea. The MLs create a diffuse view. Both OK with me. The MLs sounded much better than the AGs from the dining area behind the speakers.

You have an amazing system.
The reason you chose ML electrostatic speakers is the same reason I chose ML electrostatic speakers. We love the sound they produce. I like how you have paired the other types of speakers ~ Horns and Cone speakers with ML electrostatic speakers in your system. Quite a beautiful balance of sound :)
Very pleasing to the eye as well...

Nice view, beautiful home, great stereo system, I would be spoiled for choice if I had to choose just one thing, I don't know which one.
Thanks for sharing

You have an amazing system.
The reason you chose ML electrostatic speakers is the same reason I chose ML electrostatic speakers. We love the sound they produce. I like how you have paired the other types of speakers ~ Horns and Cone speakers with ML electrostatic speakers in your system. Quite a beautiful balance of sound :)
Very pleasing to the eye as well...
Thanks Robin and Sfinge.

The photo I posted was taken soon after my MLs arrived and when I was comparing one set of speakers with the other. Unfortunately in my room, the old Unos won out, so I'm selling the Martin Logans. I blame the room, not the MLs. They need a wall behind them, something the horns don't.

Unos were sold when I found a nice pair of slightly younger Duos and very recently I further upgraded to latest Duo XDs - rightly or wrongly! Peter

IMG_0265.JPG

I am sure it can fill the room with big sound:) I have an Atmos 5.1.2 setup ML all way round except heights where I have MK. The sound is so big that it takes a cinescope screen 133" (sitting 3-4 m away) otherwise the picture does not do justice to the sound IMO. Wonder if you have a screen somewhere or how you get the full experience?

Back