Thoughts ? ................

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Point taken timm, as for the 'sneaking' in of his test equipment, I don't have a problem with that for if the manufacturer is given a 'heads up' then all bets are off. What I don't get is this Bob Levi (prez of the audio society) character, he comes off as the 'tool' of the manufacturer's !

GW, again, as for your comment about the preconceived direction that you feel I intended this thread to go I'm hoping we can keep it focused to the article at hand, if not, I'll edit and or close it, understood ?

I agree Dave. Bob appears to be a bit defensive and over reactive as though he may have something to lose personally.

I may have missed it in the article but, one would think Mark might have asked the person's providing the demonstration about the volume difference. Not sure what their explanation would be but there could be a piece of information missing.

Last edited:
Point taken Brad, I'm gonna re-read to see what I might have missed .......

I was suggesting I may have missed something. I read the article again and it did say at the end he chose to not confront or question the presenter.

If the Soceity or presenters are concerned about possible miss representation, one would think they would make it known there is no recording of the demonstration.

I was suggesting I may have missed something. I read the article again and it did say at the end he chose to not confront or question the presenter.

If the Soceity or presenters are concerned about possible miss representation, one would think they would make it known there is no recording of the demonstration.

I agree with u about bob. But I will say this. If he is the Prez - then it is up to him to run it as he sees fit. He may have to grovel to get presenters in of interest for the group. Well... that job just got more difficult. Hence the reaction.

It's not really about the possible snake oil presented which the recorder was focused on. Maybe it was? They were really arguing about two different topics. One was snake oil , while the other was thinking about future presenters for the group and how this could impact that.

I agree with u about bob. But I will say this. If he is the Prez - then it is up to him to run it as he sees fit. He may have to grovel to get presenters in of interest for the group. Well... that job just got more difficult. Hence the reaction.

It's not really about the possible snake oil presented which the recorder was focused on. Maybe it was? They were really arguing about two different topics. One was snake oil , while the other was thinking about future presenters for the group and how this could impact that.

That did just open a can of worms didn't it?

On the one hand, if I were trying to get presenters I would never invite a snake oil salesman like that.

However lets say that you were a purveyor of a solid product that had a sonic character that some people loved and others didn't like. If presenters now potentially expected "hostile" audiences with negative Internet feedback that lingers long after the presentation, that could become a real an issue.

I'm with you on Bob having to deal with finding programing for events. Being the Prez has to be a PIA job.

If you are a manufacturer, I think you must be tough enough to take some criticism justified or not. They can always provide a rebuttal to the reviewer.
That is a very large audio group manufacturers would jump at the chance to have a captive audience to possibly sell their product to.

It was never mentioned whether their is a board of directors that run the club and did the majority vote to ban Mark or did he make a unilateral decision?

I had never heard of Mark's site or knew of the work what he is doing. Like any person that reviews and or writes about technical aspects of audio it would seem hard to believe he has never commented on what he has seen or heard previously Society functions.

My opinion is Bob might have reasonably expected some comment from Mark in his column. I don't think there will ever be a 100% consensus on any product. People that aren't in favor will often be critical based on their beliefs. Did Mark overstep the reasonable boundary expected, possibly. Kind of like asking if better cables are worth it.

Hopefully the bear will grab a salmon and a beer and hang a "do not disturb sign" on his cave. :)

I'm a Porter drinker at heart but I will give it a try.

I like a good Porter or Stout. Anything heavy enough to still taste good if it gets a bit warm. Ale's and IPA's are just too weak for my taste.

This last year I was surprised by a local brewer's Ermagourd which was a fall Pumpkin beer, but they used 50 lbs of pumkin in their fairly small batches. It had a great flavor, high alcohol content and was very opaque. It felt like a heavy beer.

However for bottled beers right now I'm favoring the Yee-Haw Dunkel over my go to beer a Guinness extra stout. Still I've really gotten to like fresh microbrewery beer on tap much more than bottled beer. In the last few years I've enjoyed some excellent dark local brewed beers.

Hmmm, I wonder if I would start a thread about drinking Cider, would it end up in a discussion about diffuser placement...

Back