Thoughts On Preface and Mosaic

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itch

Reaction score
Hello,

Newly active on this forum.
See my welcome post for my system layout and background.

I understand that the Preface and Mosaic speakers are lower end ML lines and were offered by big box stores.
As is typical of "end of model year", each were offered at substantial discounts to list price towards the end of their sales lives.

There are pairs of each model offered locally.

I know that how a speaker "sounds" is an individual preference but, any glaring inadequacies noted?

Thanks!

I own and use Mosaics as my current main speakers. What I like about them (compared to the motion series) is they don't have the same level of "shrillness" I hear in the motion line. But MORE importantly, like the bigger electrostats they are bipolar, which give them a good sense of openess from the reflected sound. They are pretty efficient but don't have much slam, although I feel they play plenty loud for my needs. I'm actually really happy with them, although I am looking to upgrade to ESL 9 or 11a speakers. I've personally been looking for another pair of Mosaics to use one as a center channel! I think things like Fresco speakers match TERRIBLY with the Mosaic because there is no backwave so the center sounds so small by comparison. I currently run them with no center channel which is great for my sweet spot. If you aren't going to buy them can you tell me the link so maybe I can?

There was also the "Montage" in that line, but it is a lesser speaker with only one ATF tweeter. The Mosaic uses ATF mid range as well. I am not sure what the Preface does as it came later, and in my opinion is hideously ugly. I actually like how the Mosaic looks.

I very much appreciate your reply.
They are located in Denver.
The seller is asking $650 for the pair.

As I mentioned above, speaker manufacturers apply deep discounts during model changes. I am not sure if this is applicable to this model.

Back