Thoroughly confused about power requirements

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spike,

Admit it you had fun moving all those amps around and connecting and disconnect and reconnecting the wires. Anyway thanks for taking the time to fill me in. I have never been a "Tube" guy, but I have been tempted to try and I agree a good way to give it a shot would be with the SixPacs they are very reasonable in cost and there are a few sets available on audiogon. So you never know, I may have to try old school just as class "D" is redefining our future. I do have some tubes in my Melos phono pre-amp so I am 1/3rd the way there.

Thanks again......Steve

charliemike said:
True, but I'm trying to understand why double power at 1 ohm is a good thing :)

Listening makes sense and that's how I narrowed my search down to MLs and then to these SL3s but I need to have a general sense of why I'm looking for certain things. It's just the way I'm built, I guess :)

CM

This white paper may help with the technical side of things: Sunfire White Paper

roberto said:
Hola Charliemike...the impedance (A.C. resistance) of the stat panels drops like a brick as the high frequency is increased. A tweeter, is the opposite, their impedance decrease as the high frequency goes up. The panel at 2OkHz has sometimes less than 1 ohm. This is almost a short circuit for any amp at it speakers binding post, and this amp must be designied to drive this kind of load. So what you are looking for is a high current amplifier, capable to drive this very small, little load impedance. If your amp is not capable to do it, the highs will be rolled off. On the market place today, are many good brands that have being using ML as a tool desing in the test bench. Brands like Mark Levinson, Conrad Johnson, Krell, Jeff Rowland, Cary Audio, Classe, Bryston, Anthem, Spectral, Carver. Sunfire, Aragon, Margules, Audio Analogue, McIntosch, Audio Research, Blue Circle, Manley, VTL, Halcro, Rotel, Adcom, NAD (some models), and there are so many more that I can recall, that could drive the panels with no problem. So, as I always say, trust your ears, and the the one that you like most...and of course your budget. Power does not means can drive low impedance...look for quality watts than quantity. At www.audiogon.com you can find many of these brands in at fair price. Hope this can help...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Wow, thank you Roberto. That is a huge help :)

Back