This is for Robin

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkNewbie

Reaction score
Robin,

Wanted you to see this auction on audiogon. I have posted the link below. Also, I just purchased some Bendix 6385 Red Bank tubes for my Shanling. From everything I am reading, these are as hard to find as they get and they are supposed to blow away the WE's. The application was originally for the guidance systems on ICBMs (Inter Contentinental Balistic Missles) and they were only made for the Government. As that is the case, there are no other tubes like them in the world and they have not been made since the 1960s. I have been searching for them for a couple of months now. I am eager to compare them to the Western Electric 396as that are currently in the output stage.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1130780021

The Shanling looks beautiful...

Mark,

The Shanling looks fantastic!!!!!! and the price is excellent! :) I wish, I had some extra money, I would diffinately concider this great deal..., and I want to Thank you for sharing the information about this deal with me. I want you to know, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I have to once again save-up... As my funds are totally exhaused after, I purchased the Anthem P5, amplifier. What is very encouraging though, about this deal on audiogon, is that maybe, when I have the money, I'll be able to find this kind of deal again. :)

I was not aware that the, "Bendix 6385 Red Bank", tubes (values) were so very rare, and not made anymore... Where did you get them? And, If you don't mind my asking, how much did the Bendix tubes cost? So, tell me Mark, if the, "Bendix 6385 Red Bank", tubes that you purchased were made in 1960-69 (say, 1969 was when they were last time that they were manufactured)? Did you buy, 45 - 36 year old tubes, and they still function well? But, how long will they work, before they burn out? Given the fact that they are at least, 45 - 36 years old, wouldn't the tubes not last that long before finially giving out? The Bendix tubes seem, very unusual, and of extremely high quality, as you said, "Used in guidance systems of ICBM's (Intercontinental Balistic Missels)", but just how long are they rated to last? Can you get more, if they do burn-out? Who did you get them from? And, can you reveal your source? Your source isn't, "Deep Throat", I hope?:D

When I'm finially able to purchase a Shanling, I will diffinately want the, Bendix 6385 Red Bank tubes, in my SACD player. Mark, from your excellent discription the Bendix tubes, sound like the very best tubes in the world. I would be very interested, in any other information, you have.

I appreciate all of the great information you have given me.

Thank you, Mark. :)

-Robin

Robin,

Many of the tubes/valves that people are buying and selling today are no longer being made. A good example is the Western Electric 396a. I worked for Western Electric at one point in my carreer and my father retired from AT&T. He was actually the Chief Engineer over guidance systems for the Safeguard Anti Ballistic Missle System back in the late 50s and early 60s that was scraped by then President Carter when he agreed to take a totally offensive posture with the Soviets. In other words, Carter gave up our ability to defend ourselves from attack to pacify the Soviets who were claiming it was not fair that we could take their missles out before they reached American soil. Thank goodness Reagan came along and bluffed them into ruin. Back to the WE 396a's. They are no longer made and people are hording these tubes that become even more rare with each passing day. I have twelve(12) of the 396a's myself. The Bendix Red Banks are rated for 10,000 hours and were designed to sit atop of missles that will pull G forces that would rip a human apart. Trying to give you a feeling for just how durable these tubes are. I bought them on audiogon of all places and have been sending emails to every tube source I could find on the net for the last few months with no luck. I purchased four of them from this guy and should have them by the end of the week. I posted that auction below for you. I have not jumped on the Bendix bandwagon yet. I am buying them with the thought of auditioning them and if they are that much better, I will keep them. If not, I should not lose any money if I sell them. I am following Roberto's advice and going to let my ears decide. Not to take anything away from all of the other great people on here who give pretty much the same advice.

I understand the waiting after you have made such a big purchase. I was not indicating that you should buy right away. I am one who will watch the market for a particular item for months or even a year or two before making a purchase. I watched the Shanling prices for over a year before I bought mine. Same with the Ascent i's which I bought new at less than what I was seeing used go for. I am slow to release my money and will not until I am absolutely sure that I am getting the best deal I can find. I hate "Buyers Remorse"....LOL I am so anal about it that I continue to watch the prices of things that I have purchased. I like knowing market values. Know that when your time comes to purchase an SACD player or CD player, no matter the brand, knowing the market will give you piece of mind well after the purchase is complete.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?dgtlplay&1130959088

Awesome intel on the Bendix 6385's...

Mark,

Incredible information about the Bendix 6385's..., WOW, I never knew, how or why, it is great to know these Super tubes, somehow still exsist and are still concidered the state-of-the-art, of vacuum tube design technology. I was not aware that they actually were built to survive physical 'G' forces... amazing, fascinating information. Thank you, Mark. All of your information is excellent!

I really do wish, I had the money to buy, not only the SACD player, but at least four, Bendix 6385 Red Banks... I am very glad, Mark, that you are in that position, or will be very soon... I trust you will, please let me (us) know how they sound.:D The over-all improvements over the WE 396a's, and what the sonic differences or improvements are spacifially... How many Bendix 6385 Red Bank tubes will your, Shanling T200A require? Is it two or all four tubes? Replacing the WE 396a's in your Shanling... As I remeber, you were using two WE 396a's, in your Shanling T200A? ;)

Thank you, so much for the 'Audiogon', look at the, 'Bendix 6385 Red Bank' tubes. I enjoyed seeing and reading the reviews about these, turly awesome, Super-tubes.:D

Cheers

-Robin

The Bendix 6385 Red Banks arrived about 3 hours ago. Without taking them out of their box and while my Western Electric 396a's are still in my Shanling, I put Celine Dion's "All the way...A Decade of Song" SACD on and listened to the first track, The Power of Love three times in a row. This was to embalzon it on my mind. Then I listened to the entire SACD twice. All this while measuring the sound level at right around 80 dcb on my sound meter. The volume level read 35 on my Mac pre. After listening twice, I played The Power of Love one more time for good measure. The Shanling was powered down and the WE 396a's removed and the Red Banks inserted. I powered her back up and waited for 15 minutes figuring this was ample time for the new tubes to warm up.....

Using the same volume level of 35...

On came Celine and The Power of Love. This was the moment I had been waiting months for. I swallowed and the music started. I closed my eyes and focused on my ears and what was reaching them. Have you ever heard the staccatto of the organ in the beginning of this song? What about the way the drummer uses the brush on the snare? Have you noticed how the block is used as accent in the transition? Notice how the lead guitar and bass pedal join in together but seperately? Then comes the snare with stix? What about the way they use bells? I am hearing seperation and detail that I was not aware of before. The bass seems more powerful. Then there was the piano in the beginning of "It's all coming back to me now"! It was so powerfully played. I had not noticed how wonderful the piano sounded in that song before and how everything else was an accompanyment to it! With my eyes closed, I could see the piano player sitting just right of center! I could almost picture his head moving up and down as his fingers struck the keys. The thunder in the crescendo reverberated in my stomach. Where was this bass before? Then on came "Love can move mountains". I had never noticed the seperation from the bass guitar and the bass pedal on the drums. Wow! it was clear as day. How well they were playing together! It sounded like they were standing there looking at each other, smiling and in total sychnc with each other. There were times I thought I could hear the bass guitar player's fingers on the frets! Then came "To love you more" and the opening with the accoustical guitar. What I thought had been drumming before was in fact, the guitar players hand tapping the body of the guitar. That had never seperated out before. I could hear a distinct French horn playing in the background. What a beautiful sound it makes. The final chorus made me sway from side to side without realizing it. On came "My heart will go on". The flute has always been lovely in this song and still is but to a different degree. It is as if I can hear the flutist's breath now. Everything sounds expanded and more detailed. The duet with R.Kelly, I'm your Angel came on next. Again, the drums were more detailed and seemed to reach further down into my gut. It was as if what I was once hearing or feeling in my heart was now reaching out and stroking my soul. Next up was "That's the way it is" and there was that bass guitar player again! That dude is good! Him and the drummer were at it again, smiling and grooving together. I could imagine his guitar neck moving back and forth with the beat, his head bobbing up and down, lips curled into a smile that said "We got it going on now!"

I think I'll be keeping these Red Banks... :cool: Anyone interested in some Western Electric 396a's?

Great review and recommendation...

Mark,

Thanks anyway, I want the Red Banks too!!! :D

Mark, what a wonderfully expressed and greatly detailed review! WOW! I felt, I was there with you! The Bendix Red Banks Tubes, seem totally awesome. It sounds like the Red Banks, have been the biggest improvement, to the quality of your sound system, sence you purchased your Shanling or maybe your Ascent i's... I guess, you will be re-listening, to all of your SACD's again. What a beautiful trip that should be, for your ears... :D

I've been looking at the Shanling CDT300..., and I am wondering, if it is that much better, than the T200? The T300, definiately has a totally different phsyical design. The reason, I was looking at it, was because their was another new, Shanling T200 for sale at, 'Audiogon' for just $1250.00 (USD). The seller loved the player so much, he was selling it to up-grade to a T300 player... It got me thinking though, maybe the T300, could be alot better? The T300 has the same four tubes, though set-up in a new configuration... I know the Shanling CDT300 cost's alot more, but is it so much better? I wonder? What do you think, Mark?

Well, at any rate, it's great to know that the only tubes, to have for the SACD Shanling or for any tubed CD player would be the "Bendix 6385 Red Banks"... What a sound they have, WOW. I am already saving up... ;)

Thank you so much, for your excellent write-up/review, It is gold to me, extremely valuable information...

Enjoy your new and wonderful 'Red Banks' tubed sounds.

-Robin

I cannot tell you much about the CDT300 other than it is a CD player and not a SACD player. When it came out I thought it looked awesome but the fact that it is not a SACD player made me dismiss it. Actually, the CDT300 comes with Russian tubes where the SCDT200 comes stock with Chinese tubes so there is some upgrade there amoung other things. But like I said, I want the SACD playing ability. IMHO the SACDs are much better sounding than the standard CDs. I have spent a large portion of the day and evening listening to more of my SACDs. Wow, it is/has been awesome!

Shanling SACD is best...

Mark,

I agree, the SACD is preferable... :D

It is good to know, that you are enjoying, new and improved sounds from your SACD/CD collection. It must be like, rediscovering a treasure of sound, from your best loved SACD/CD music collection... :) Someday, I will be able to experiance what you are experiancing now... As you know, I'm very envious, but in a good way, I am happy for you too... your deligent, patient and persistant quest for the optimal set-up and especially the 'Red Bank' tubes paid off in fine syle :D

Congradulations and continue to enjoy...

-Robin

You should post some photo's of your system...

Mark,

You should concider posting your wondeful, musical, ML system under our, "Member Systems", section... IMHO, I think your system is quite unique... :D What do you think? You could be system #64, you know..., or are we up to #65 now? :D
I, for one, would like to see your set-up, when you get the chance, to take some digtal photo's... Just a suggestion. :D

Cheers

-Robin

Robin said:
Mark,

You should concider posting your wondeful, musical, ML system under our, "Member Systems", section... IMHO, I think your system is quite unique... :D What do you think? You could be system #64, you know..., or are we up to #65 now? :D
I, for one, would like to see your set-up, when you get the chance, to take some digtal photo's... Just a suggestion. :D

Cheers

-Robin

Thanks for suggesting that. I actually plan on that once I get my Arcici Suspension Rack that has been on backorder for the last few months. All of my components are laying on the floor and I want it to look better before I put it out there. Please bare with me but I want it to look great first...

:D

That sounds so cool...

Mark,

I never heard of the 'Arcici' suspension rack? Am I correct, in assuming that, it is a rack that reduces vibration for all of the gear on the rack? Had you ordered it on-line? If so could you share the web-site? It sould like a versital piece of audio equipment. :)

I look foreward to seeing your system, after you have everything set-up properly. ;)

-Robin

Adona Corp. products look very cool...

Dan,

Thanks for the information. The Adona Corp., looks to have a great product line-up. I wonder if their racks can hold an amplifier like the P5, which weights 130 lbs.? I'll have to check them out some more...

Thanks again, Dan

Cheers

-Robin

Robin said:
Dan, Thanks for the information. The Adona Corp., looks to have a great product line-up. I wonder if their racks can hold an amplifier like the P5, which weights 130 lbs.? I'll have to check them out some more...

Their 2 Level Component stand has this info: "Conservatively rated at up to 300 lbs per shelf!"

Dan

Robin said:
Mark,

I never heard of the 'Arcici' suspension rack? Am I correct, in assuming that, it is a rack that reduces vibration for all of the gear on the rack? Had you ordered it on-line? If so could you share the web-site? It sould like a versital piece of audio equipment. :)

I look foreward to seeing your system, after you have everything set-up properly. ;)

-Robin

Here is the link to the one I have coming. It will hold 300lbs per shelf.

http://www.tjbailey.com/arcici/suspense.htm

Thanks Mark...

Mark,

Visualizing this audio rack is just great. But, It makes me wish I had more money to afford more... The good think is..., I can still dream of, 'what if I had the money'... :D

Thanks again.

Cheers

-Robin

The Arcici was ordered last week and should be here by the end of next week. I got a great price on it so if anyone is looking for one, I can direct them accordingly. Once set up, I will get some pictures and put them on here. It is slowly starting to come together.... :cool:

I'm looking forward to seeing your system....

Mark,

Hope it all comes together for you. I am excited for your newest audio acquisition...:D I will be interested to know your findings with regards to the sonic changes? Let us know your progress... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Now I have found out that the Arcic will not be shipped until the first part of next week. Grrrrrr. I also purchased a PS Power Director. I have to stop spending money!!!! :eek: I am blaiming this latest purchase on Kruppy! It is all his fault!

Whew, now I feel better! :D

Oh no you don't!

Oh boy, I knew that one was coming. You better like it....and if you don't maybe I'll take it off your hands at a nice discout. :D

I convinced my wife to let me upgrade....well it was more begging and groveling, but alas I passed on the deal. Good thing too, I'm about to dump 6 grand into a new roof. So much for any up grades for the next year or so. :(

You know you could make some money to fund your audio habit by selling those Scooby and Spidey underwear on ebay. Let me guess you've also got Sponge Bob, Mickey Mouse and Power Rangers too. Might be worth some cash......

Back