This is a great Forum!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Timw

Hi everyone! I just recently discovered this forum and have really enjoyed all the interesting topics and comradere(sp?) among everyone here.
I just became a proud owner of a pair of used SL3's and absolutely love them!
Pretty cool story how I got them I'd like to share. A friend of mine who buys/sells audio equip picked them up for $450! Yes $450! (After talking the guy down from $750). The owner said one spkr wasn't working and he just wanted to unload them. My friend brought them directly to me to check out and fix since I do this on the side for some extra $. It turns out only the top 5" of one spkrs ESL panel was working. I went to the ML website and made contact with Jim and Melodie at ML who were a big help. Jim actually recommended that I take the bad panel off and hose it down!! (I never thought I'd see the day I would be taking a garden hose to my speakers! My wife, of course, thought I was losing it when she witnessed this!). Well, this did bring the panel back to about 75% but eventually it did have to be replaced. My friend ordered 2 new panels and eventually decided he wanted to sell them. That's when he gave me the sweet deal on them!!!($900) w/ 2 NEW panels too boot!
All I can say is I first heard ML spkrs at a Stereophile show in NYC back in '91 and was blown away! I just never thought I'd be able to afford a pair...well, as u can see...I 'lucked' out :) .
It's great to now be a part of this club too!
Thx ,
TimW

Tim, Welcome, sounds like a hell of a bargin on your SL3's. When you get a chance fill us in(members systems) with the rest of your gear !!

Tim,
Welcome. Great find indeed!
A little over a year ago I did a similar thing with my CLSiiZ's. I bought from a guy who needed to sell and I got them for a great price and have since replaced the panels and still exicted about them.

Jeff :cool:

It's Great to have you here...

Tim,

Welcome. I'm glad you "lucked" out too. Your ML fifteen year odyssey is a marvelous story, thank you for sharing it with us... :) From your post it seems your interest electronics is more than just a passing fancy. ;) How long have you been repairing audio equipment as a hobby? Who or what sparked your interest in audio repair?

I'm curious, what associated audio equipment you have driving your SL3's?
Also, what percentage do you listen to music vs. HT?

Robin said:
Tim,

From your post it seems your interest electronics is more than just a passing fancy. ;) How long have you been repairing audio equipment as a hobby? Who or what sparked your interest in audio repair?

I'm curious, what associated audio equipment you have driving your SL3's?

Thx Robin , I do want to add my system info & pics to the forum alongside all the other amazing systems featuring ML spkrs here eventually.
I currently have my SL3's hooked up to a Denon AVR-3805 receiver and must admit...they sound very good. I am thinking of adding a good 2ch power amp to my Denon's Front channel Pre-outs for even better quality when listening in 2ch Pure Direct mode. For Home Theater, the SL3's sound VG. I have a ceiling mounted 'In Focus' projector and 85" screen . Here's a list of my other equipment:
Pioneer DV45 dvd -sacd -dvda player
Theta Data Basic&Gen-III Cd Transport&DAC
Thorens 'classic' TD145 TTable w/ Denon DL106 cart
Sony SLV-1000 SVHS vcr
Panasonic L800 Laserdisc player(Currently collecting dust)
HHB "BurnIT Pro CD Recorder
Ramsey Electronics FM25 FM Transmitter(kit)*** Great way to get stereo music around your property(...and beyond :) ) Just hook it to a stereo 'tape out' and set xmitter to an unused area on the FM dial and you're set. You can then hear YOUR tunes on any FM radio within a 1-mile radius(Even in your car!). No joke, See here if interested:
http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=FM25B
(BTW, I have no affiliation w/ this company-Just sharing what i think is a great way to get music around your house w/o having to run lots of wires!)
I've been repairng audio equipment as a hobby for as long as i remember...mostly for friends&family. VCR's were a big moneymaker before they became a throwaway item. I used to love building Heathkits..anyone remember them??? They only had 2 stores in NJ and luckily I lived near one. My Dad was the one who saw my electronics interest and when he wanted to go from MONO to STEEEREO(As he put it) He brought me to Hkit and he bought me a basic stereo amp to build. It was a thrill when we first powered it up...and it WORKED! I can still remember the first stereo lp i played..McCartneys 1st solo album. I was in awe of the whole stereo experience!! I think I was in 7th or 8th grade at the time. Needless to say....and as much as I hate to admit...I did get suckered into the whole Quad/4Ch era. Sound quality sure took a nose dive during this time so I quickly got back to a good 2CH setup!!! Of course now today we have the SACD/DVD Audio format fiasco going on and it's not looking good. Too bad, When done right...it is an amazing experience!
OK, I better stop now...Thanks for hearing me out and thanks for the nice welcome guys!
TimW

Robin said:
Tim,

Real quick...forgot to answer this one:
I'd say for me it would be 60% Music / 40% HT

I still enjoy sitting between the spkrs and listening to classic floyd, Yes, ELP, Zep, Dire Straits, Eagles, J. Browne, CSNY, Dream Theater, robin Trower...
as well as some folk, New age, and classical.

As for HT...I probably have more concert DVD's than movies so I do quite a bit of Music 'watching' too! I think these are the best bargain out there right now. Many times I have picked up the concert dvd for LESS than the CD version. Plus, you get the dts/DD surround sound and visuals. Some of my favs are: Led Zep-DVD, Cream reunion, Eagles farewell, Rush-R30, Dream Theater-Budokan, Loggins and Messina-Sittin' in Again, Springsteen, Peter Gabriel, U2-Vertigo live. I just this week picked up Collective Soul-Home-Live with the Atlanta Symphony youth orchestra...It's Very good!
TimW

Timw said:
Thx Robin , I do want to add my system info & pics to the forum alongside all the other amazing systems featuring ML spkrs here eventually.
I currently have my SL3's hooked up to a Denon AVR-3805 receiver and must admit...they sound very good. I am thinking of adding a good 2ch power amp to my Denon's Front channel Pre-outs for even better quality when listening in 2ch Pure Direct mode. For Home Theater, the SL3's sound VG. I have a ceiling mounted 'In Focus' projector and 85" screen . Here's a list of my other equipment:
Pioneer DV45 dvd -sacd -dvda player
Theta Data Basic&Gen-III Cd Transport&DAC
Thorens 'classic' TD145 TTable w/ Denon DL106 cart
Sony SLV-1000 SVHS vcr
Panasonic L800 Laserdisc player(Currently collecting dust)
HHB "BurnIT Pro CD Recorder
Ramsey Electronics FM25 FM Transmitter(kit)*** Great way to get stereo music around your property(...and beyond :) ) Just hook it to a stereo 'tape out' and set xmitter to an unused area on the FM dial and you're set. You can then hear YOUR tunes on any FM radio within a 1-mile radius(Even in your car!). No joke, See here if interested:
http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=FM25B
(BTW, I have no affiliation w/ this company-Just sharing what i think is a great way to get music around your house w/o having to run lots of wires!)
I've been repairng audio equipment as a hobby for as long as i remember...mostly for friends&family. VCR's were a big moneymaker before they became a throwaway item. I used to love building Heathkits..anyone remember them??? They only had 2 stores in NJ and luckily I lived near one. My Dad was the one who saw my electronics interest and when he wanted to go from MONO to STEEEREO(As he put it) He brought me to Hkit and he bought me a basic stereo amp to build. It was a thrill when we first powered it up...and it WORKED! I can still remember the first stereo lp i played..McCartneys 1st solo album. I was in awe of the whole stereo experience!! I think I was in 7th or 8th grade at the time. Needless to say....and as much as I hate to admit...I did get suckered into the whole Quad/4Ch era. Sound quality sure took a nose dive during this time so I quickly got back to a good 2CH setup!!! Of course now today we have the SACD/DVD Audio format fiasco going on and it's not looking good. Too bad, When done right...it is an amazing experience!
OK, I better stop now...Thanks for hearing me out and thanks for the nice welcome guys!
TimW

Built my share of Heathkits an Dynas too back in the day. Still, if you look hard enough, you can find new-production audio kits. Van Alstine continues to offer some of his preamps as kits. Transcendent Audio also makes OTL amps as kits. Kit builders can also look into Audio Electronic Supply (aka Cary.)

Cool System and Audio Talented too...

Tim,

Thanks for the kind words.
You should consider posting your system on the "Member System" section, it would be good to see your set-up, when you get the chance. Some of the guys I went to school with put together "Heath" kits as well. I have a lot of respect for people who have the talent for actually working with and understanding the inside of amps. / processors etc. Unfortunately, it is definitely a skill I just never acquired. Admire people that do though... :)
Excellent musical artists you mentioned.

Welcome, Timw! Oh boy another Robin Trower fan! Just bought the Rush R30 DVD this weekend but haven't heard it yet.

tonyc said:
Welcome, Timw! Oh boy another Robin Trower fan! Just bought the Rush R30 DVD this weekend but haven't heard it yet.

Yeah Tony, Big Trower fan here! I saw him live back in '74 at Madison Square Garden. One of the best concerts I've ever been to. Just 3 guys with a basic light show rockin' The Garden! The sound was incredible!!!
Of course, The Bridge of Sighs' CD is one of the 1st I played through my ML SL3's and it sounds GREAT!(I just read he's coming out with a Live DVD/CD from his 2005 tour...not sure how good this can be after all these years but I'll probably check it out! I wish they had filmed him back in the 70's!!!)
You'll like the Rush-R30 DVD I'm sure. Especially if you had previously bought their BAD sounding(IMO) Live in Rio DVD from the same tour!
Timw

Back