Thinking of buying new headphones.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherian

Reaction score
Ok, so I think it is time to upgrade from my Sennheiser HD650. Thinking of moving up to the Sennheiser HD800. Is this the best move? I’m looking to spend about $1000.00. Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks

Cherian

Contenders to try should be Beyerdynamic T1, Audeze LCD-2, Sennheiser HD800, Stax SRS-2170/3170, Hifiman HE-5/HE-500 and Grado GS1000i.

Must say I can't stand the Sennheisers - way too coloured for my liking. All of them. Every model I've heard.

I second Daniel's suggestion - Stax. Considering they also come with drivers, yet you'd need a pretty darn good headphone amp for the Sennheisers, I'd say it's an easy choice.

How is the build quality on the Stax? It looks a bit plastic. I That is not to say my HD-650 don’t look plastic. I must say I’m intrigued by the thought of the Stax.
I want to move up in audio and build quality. I have not listened to any of the Stax so I cannot comment on its sound. I do like the Sennheiser. I can listen for hours without any fatigue.

Stax aren't cheap and I don't know about build quality, but they are the best headphones, and near the best system overall, I have ever listened to when paired with a Woo Audio Headphone amp. Check out this page: Woo Audio Products Page

Personally though, I find the HD 650's adequate for the few times I listen to headphones. I would rather listen to my system anyway.

I would rather listen to my system too. However my daughter goes to bed between 7:30-8:00 about an hour after I get home from work so headphones are becoming more and more the norm for me at night. I think Stax may the correct path for me. Do I need a special headphone amp with the Stax? Righ now I use the headphone jack on my CEC cd player. The CEC has a volume knob for the head phone out.

I guess if I'm going this way I should look into an amp as well.

What do you feel is lacking with the HD650? Dynamics, bass, detail, soundstage? What are you looking for? Same questions we ask here about ML speakers wrt amps, speakers, cables, sound, etc..
So, you're running your HD650 right from a CDP. Like ML speakers, you need a good amp (and source, of course). My recommendation would be at looking at getting a dedicated headphone amp or dac/amp. You have in no way reached what the HD650 are capable of.

Like ML speakers, it's all about synergy. You can't just plug in a pair of HD800 into a CDP and expect stellar sound. In fact, the HD800 are pretty demanding and you'll probably need to spead at least as much to drive them properly. Without a decent supporting rig, it will sound awful! (You wouldn't drive a pair of CLX from an AVR would you :) )

Check out Head-Fi.org, specifically the HD650 Appreciation Thread. It may take hours (or days) to read through and there are a lot of good recommeded amps, cables and sources. There are also a lot of comparisons to other cans which may help.

I spend a lot of time in my home office and have spent the last two years trying to nail down a decent headphone system. Spent a lot of time on HeadFi, researching and auditioning. I ended up with the Schiit Lyr amp and it's stellar with the HD650. You can also roll tubes to tailor the sound. (I've recently moved on to the HD700 and HiFiMAN HE-400 but had the HD650 for 2 years - almost regret going to the HD700 but it has worked out well for me - next move is the LCD2r2)

mvHP-sys.jpg

Last edited:
I plan on keeping my HD650 moving it into the bedroom. After listening to the HD800 I felt the 650 was lacking the detail the 800 has. 650 also felt a bit light on bass. Not that bass is that super important. just felt it was lacking a bit. With the new setup I plan to step up a notch with equipment as well.

Last edited:
You don't need a special headphone amp (but you could if you wish to). They come with their own driver.

After seeng your sytem (wow!!!), you do know about synergy. Still, check out HeadFi to see what mates best with the HD800 - best of luck!

I plan on keeping my HD650 moving it into the bedroom. After listening to the HD800 I felt the 650 was lacking the detail the 800 has. 650 also felt a bit light on bass. Not that bass is that super important. just felt it was lacking a bit. With the new setup I plan to step up a notch with equipment as well.

Thanks for the point to head-fi.org. Lots fo good information. Time to do some research.

How is the build quality on the Stax? It looks a bit plastic.

Build quality is fine. The drivers' build quality is fantastic. The HD800 look (and feel) very plastic too!

Cherian said:
I have not listened to any of the Stax so I cannot comment on its sound.

When you do you'll understand.

Cherian said:
I guess if I'm going this way I should look into an amp as well.

No need. They come with their own drivers - right up to valve-powered exotica.

I've owned a pair of Stax SR-40 Electrostatic Headphones since the late 1970's (memory not exact) for monitoring when recording records to reel to reel tapes.
They sound exactly like my CLS's...except the frequency response extends down to 10 HZ on the headphones! Well not spatial imaging but everything in the source is there. My SR-40's connected to the speaker outputs, so the pre-amp volume controls the sound level. I used Pioneer Spec 4 power amps to drive them, although the headphones only need a few watts. The key feature is extreme clarity at very low sound levels..I didn't have to turn up the volume to hear any glitches when recording or monitoring the taped output. These headphones are bidirectional and don't isolate you from the room, you can still hear anything in the room. The current Stax are waaaay outside my price range and I don't know how their spec/design compares.
Best to listen before buying if you can.

Just an update...Yesterday I got a chance to listen the Sennheiser HD800 along with the Ray Samuels audio headphone amp. I found a headphone amp by accident when doing some research on the internet. When I got to the Ray Samuels web site I found out he was very local to me. So I called him up asked some questions. He told me to come over and have a listen. So I did just that.
Along with me I brought my HD650 and a few CDs I know well. He had set up a CD player (I forget the brand but it was a good one), and his Emmeline II “The Raptor” headphone amp. Needless to say I gave it a listen and I was floored. The HD650 sounded sublime but the HD800 was even better. More neutral less colored with good bass. So after one hour of listening I was giving Ray a check and an order for “The Raptor” Headphone amp. Now I need to order an HD800.

http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/raptor

Above is a link to the Ray Samuels audio website.

Last edited:
Placed on order an HD800 today. So, in two weeks my Head-fi setup should be well on its way. After that I will be tweeking this setup for a few months.

Part of my new Head-Fi system will be a dedicated DAC. This is a new area for me as I have always used the built-in DAC of the player. In doing some research I’m thinking of getting a TEAC UD-H01. Anyone have any experience with this DAC? Any others I should consider? My budget is limited as I have blown most of it on the headphone and amp. So around $500 – 700.

Congrats on the new setup! Sounds awesome ( no pun intended)
I was at a HeadFi meet on Sunday and had a chance to audition the Stax SR007 - I know where I'm going next - there's a local seller selling a used 007 and a Stax amp - bad timing but they do come up used

Would love to hear the Ray Samuals somed day - anyway, Enjoy!!

Back