Theater Room Construction

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68sting

Reaction score
I have started construction of my theater room and have come to the conclusion that the best place for my equipment is in the rear of the room. The long runs of speaker cable worry me. Is there any brand of speaker cable that I can run 30+ feet of to my mains and center that will sound good and not break the bank. Also my Aerius i's have been siting in my basement for three years now. I just brought them out and hooked them up. They sounded harsh and hollow. I'm trying the shower cleaning tommorow thinking they probably got quite dusty. If someone has another idea, let me know. Thanks for the help. I just found this forum and enjoy reading the new posts each night. If I can figure it out I'll post some pictures of the project.

68sting,
Welcome!!
You will be buried with advice, opinions, experience and what ever you seek. We are a vocal and friendly bunch.:eek:

Before I would wash them I would vacuum them first and I would also do this to the electronics too.
I would also play "stuff" through them for a few days and see how they "resettle" in after being idle for sometime.

If there is no improvement then I would wash them.

Jeff :cool:

Thanks

I guess no one likes the idea of long cable runs to Logans. I also figured out why my Aerius i's sounded harsh. My receivers broke.

68sting said:
Thanks

I guess no one likes the idea of long cable runs to Logans. I also figured out why my Aerius i's sounded harsh. My receivers broke.
Well axially I don’t. I like to keep my cables as short as I possibly can. However when building a home theater, sooner or later you will have to run long cables, I mean you have got to get a single to those rear speakers some how.

I would recommend you run as small a gauge of wire you can 12guage is good 10 is better. As you may or may not know the smaller gauge number the larger the cable is. The bigger gauge will give you less resistance and less loss in sound.

As for what brand of cable to use? Audio Advisor is offering discounts on Audioquest Bedrock speaker cable. That would be an excellent cable to run a long length.

Last edited:
68sting said:
I have started construction of my theater room and have come to the conclusion that the best place for my equipment is in the rear of the room. The long runs of speaker cable worry me. Is there any brand of speaker cable that I can run 30+ feet of to my mains and center that will sound good and not break the bank. Also my Aerius i's have been siting in my basement for three years now. I just brought them out and hooked them up. They sounded harsh and hollow. I'm trying the shower cleaning tommorow thinking they probably got quite dusty. If someone has another idea, let me know. Thanks for the help. I just found this forum and enjoy reading the new posts each night. If I can figure it out I'll post some pictures of the project.

68sting,

I just posted a classified for a pair of Nordost Solar Wind, 6 meters long, and a Nordost Flatline Gold MKII, also 6 meters long. I used them in my previous home theater for my mains and center. Selling them now because I just moved into a new place and I don't need the long runs anymore. Of course, the shorter the run the better, but they perform well and are in excellent shape.

You'll be fine with 14 gauge for anything under 50 ft. or so., though others generally believe in over-preparing when it comes to cable size. I know some guys who use 12 gauge for 4 feet runs. I'd rather buy a quality cable that will get the job done and put the extra money elsewhere in the system.

Anthony

asindc said:
I know some guys who use 12 gauge for 4 feet runs. I'd rather buy a quality cable that will get the job done and put the extra money elsewhere in the system.

Anthony

I am using 9 guage Audioquest Mammoth for a 6 foot run. :D

I have personally used 16, 14, 12, and 9 Gauge cables. In my experience the longer the run the smaller the gauge the fuller more natural the sound. Once you try a small gauge cable you won’t want to go back.

Last edited:
I have Aerius speakers with 5.5 meter speaker wires (Nordost Blue Heaven), works for me.

I had my speakers unpluged for a couple of months this year, plugged them in - warmed them up and let them play for a while. They were super harsh sounding to me. I vaccumed them for 20 minutes (unplugged over night) and played my Cardas record.................I think it was the Cardas record which helped the most - cleaned up the CD playing too.

Back