Theater i crackling?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dominick22

Reaction score
I just noticed today they the speaker is crackling during musical peaks. Obviously,this is when using the pro logic function to convert 2 channel into 5.1. It is so wierd and sudden but when listened for is consistant. It is most noticed in dialogue. Sounds made from hard letters like P (prayer...tr (try)...ca (cant) and so on.

I tried different cd's, different power outlets, and listened to the other speakers. The Theater i has a problem for sure and it is more pronounced as the volume increases.

I am thinking that a good vacuum cleaning might be what is called for, but are there other causes for this? Should I write/call ML direct before buying a "good" vacuum?

Thanks for any input,
Dominick

By the way-The closest way to describe the crackling is to relate it to that split second when you here the ESL first turn on for use. That power up type of crackle that normally happens for only a split second on power up is continuing in rythem with the music.

Dom, Definitely clean the speaker first and see what impact that has. Remember that you need to try and vacuum *both* sides of the stats. Pretty hard to do on some models (like the Logos). But the Theater is much more open, except for the part cover by the tweeter array, so make sure you get back there.

Also, what amp are you driving it with? At what volume levels does it occur?

I find a vac with the right attachments works good for getting into the hard to reach places. A soft paint brush is good for loosening the dust in and around the holes prior to vacumming.

I am driving it with a moderate sony amplifier. The crackling occurs at pretty much all volume levels except very low (whisper level low). At higher volumes, the crackle is constant like a steady static distortion. The overall impact is pretty minimal, but I notice it very much since I have become reliant on the crystal clear capabilities of the ML's. I have stopped using the center for fear of damaging it further.

Thanks,
Dominick

Can anoyone reccomend an "ideal" vacuum to purchase for cleaning since I will only be purchasing one for the ecplicit use on the ML's??

Thanks,
Dominick

I am driving it with a moderate sony amplifier. The crackling occurs at pretty much all volume levels except very low (whisper level low). At higher volumes, the crackle is constant like a steady static distortion. The overall impact is pretty minimal, but I notice it very much since I have become reliant on the crystal clear capabilities of the ML's. I have stopped using the center for fear of damaging it further.

Thanks,
Dominick

Hola dominick...I think with all respect, that your Theater i does not like your Sony amp...change the amp and listen if you have the same problem. The Theater i is not easy to drive, due to a very low impedance at certain frequencies, just try another high current amp and confirm the problem. Happy listening,:rocker:
Roberto.

Can anoyone reccomend an "ideal" vacuum to purchase for cleaning since I will only be purchasing one for the ecplicit use on the ML's??

Thanks,
Dominick

A shop vac is very versatile, high powered and relatively inexpensive.

Kruppy,

I was excited to see your shop vac link, but it did not work correctly.

Any chance you could post the model number and I could look it up on the HD website that way??

Roberto,

While I appreciate your advice, I do not think that it holds validity. This is because I have been using the amp for about a year with the Theater i and have also been powering a total 5.1 ML system with it. Am I wrong to assume that the Ascent i's would cause an amplification problem before the rarely used theater i? Regardless, I will heed your advice and try just what you said!

Thanks,
Dominick

Kruppy,

Any chance you could post the model number and I could look it up on the HD website that way??

Roberto,

While I appreciate your advice, I do not think that it holds validity. This is because I have been using the amp for about a year with the Theater i and have also been powering a total 5.1 ML system with it. Am I wrong to assume that the Ascent i's would cause an amplification problem before the rarely used theater i? Regardless, I will heed your advice and try just what you said!

Thanks,
Dominick

Hola Dominick...still think that you have a power amp. problem...seems like an open low value resistor at the amplifier itself...do this...change the front left or front right amplifier for the center channel for an instant and listen if you have a broken sound. If the sound comes right through the Theater i, then the suspect is the amp. If the sound is not acceptable, then the Theater is the problem...happy listening,
Roberto.

Thanks Roberto,

I just tried what you suggested and it is the Theater i that is crackling. I wasn't sure before if it was the esl or the tweeter array, but now I have confirmed that it is indeed the esl. I guess I will start with a good vacuum!

Dominick

Kruppy,

Dominick,

I hope this link works. I did make sure the previous link worked before posting it. If it doesn't go the the homedepot website and do a search on Rigid Wet/Dry Vacs. The web deal is apparently no longer available, however the site does say to check local store availability.

RIDGID
12-Gallon 5 Peak HP Wet/Dry Vacuum
Model WD1245
Price: $67.97 on sale for $27.00

You can't be $27.00 for a small shop vac.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80HDUS...session.new=Yes&CNTKEY=misc/searchResults.jsp

Edit: Well...poop...this link doesn't work now. It worked when I posted it. Search for the Wet/Dry vac.

Last edited:
Thanks Roberto,

I just tried what you suggested and it is the Theater i that is crackling. I wasn't sure before if it was the esl or the tweeter array, but now I have confirmed that it is indeed the esl. I guess I will start with a good vacuum!

Dominick

In my experience with ML (20 years now), I never had a cracking panel...always the cracking is coming from the amplifier...it is impossible to crack the panel, :cool: why? 1) the stators are modulated by the transformer, 2) and the bias is applied to the diaphragm, it is a big speaker...and if the speaker cracks, no matter the intensity, always would be cracking, at a very low level or high level, (this is not your case, right?)...due to a possibility of a faulty power supply at the Theater i...better take it for ML service. I hope that you can find the problem...
Roberto.

Thanks,
Dominick

Dominick, Good day, Any decent shop-vac will do, preferably a smaller unit with the smaller dia hose (I believe 1 1/4 inches), I'm using a Shop-Vac QA-560. Now the important part, DO NOT use the nylon bristlled brush that is a standard acessory with most vacs, instead go to a local Vacuum repair shop and pick up a 100% horse hair brush ( mine cost $6.50). No static build up with it and it does a much better job to boot !!

Good Luck !

Latest posts

Back