Theater/center placement question(s)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jon7988

Reaction score
I am new to the MLs sound and placement, However I love them!!!

I have the Theater-i CC. I have a wall/entertainment center that at this time can not be parted with (wife says so-I wear the pants............under my apron) I have an opening the is 48wx14hx14D The Theater will fit in there size wise very well, almost custom. The bottom shelf is about 1" above my 50" Samsung. My concern is that it is a box like opening/placement with a rear 3/4" beack panel. Back hole drilled for power and cables. Is this a poor location for the design of the ML Theater. Is the rear dipole design/rear acoustic waves going to cause big problems? In essense, does the (massive) Theater need to be mounted out in the open? I had a front non-ported Paradigm there before so it was never a problem. Thanks Jon

The Theater should be mounted in an open area, only enclose it if there are no other options. If you enclose it I would recommend acoustically treating the inside of the cabinet to soak up as much sound as you can.

Last edited:
Theater i needs room to breath....

jon,

I totally agree with, Joe (Zip3k07). I have a, Theater i, too and it really does need space, for it's sonic wave and sound disbursal. Is their any posibility to mount it over your, 50" TV Cabinet? As you know, the Theater i, can be tilted downward. I made a, 'special' angled wall mount (out of pine, 2"x6"'s), for my Theater i, which is mounted over my 43" Pioneer Plasma HDTV. IMHO, try to keep the Theater i, in the open.

Enjoy, and let us know how it works out... :)

-Robin

jon7988 said:
I am new to the MLs sound and placement, However I love them!!!

I have the Theater-i CC. I have a wall/entertainment center that at this time can not be parted with (wife says so-I wear the pants............under my apron) I have an opening the is 48wx14hx14D The Theater will fit in there size wise very well, almost custom. The bottom shelf is about 1" above my 50" Samsung. My concern is that it is a box like opening/placement with a rear 3/4" beack panel. Back hole drilled for power and cables. Is this a poor location for the design of the ML Theater. Is the rear dipole design/rear acoustic waves going to cause big problems? In essense, does the (massive) Theater need to be mounted out in the open? I had a front non-ported Paradigm there before so it was never a problem. Thanks Jon

My Theater i is placed inside the cabinet with an inch space all around and sounds great. Just leave the front in the open as my installer suggested. Can't even use speaker cloths to hide it as he said it will affect how it sounds. I would like to try putting some acoustic material at the back as some members suggested and see if there will be any difference.

Thanks for the input all, I could remove the back panel that would give me about 12" to the rear wall. The 4 sides would still be there of course. I don't know if that would be better? It sounds damm good, I just don't know if it sounds as good as it could?
Picture608.jpg

rtagle said:
My Theater i is placed inside the cabinet with an inch space all around and sounds great. Just leave the front in the open as my installer suggested. Can't even use speaker cloths to hide it as he said it will affect how it sounds. I would like to try putting some acoustic material at the back as some members suggested and see if there will be any difference.

Better yet, stuff the plant in the box and put the speaker on top.

We had a member on the old site that was suggesting using Black Hole 5 acoustic treatment inside his Martin Logan’s for better bass performance. I would start there. http://www.soniccraft.com/parts/blackhole5.htm

If you check out my system you will see I had to place my Theater center under the TV in the cabinet. It was a perfect fit, and worked well, the back of the cabinet is open so I still get some of the electrostatic bi-polar sound. However the cabinet and glass shelf defiantly had a negative effect on the sound. I had some dynamat left over from a car audio install that I used to line the inside of the cabinet with, it did help but not enough to recommend some one go out and spend the money to do it.

After the dynamat I laid a thick towel over the glass, and purchased a roll of foam egg crate (for softening a bed) for about $10.00. I cut the egg crate into sections and laid the sections inside the cabinet. The change was pretty dynamic and easy to do.

Latest posts

Back