The ongoing new SACD Player Purchase...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTB300

Reaction score
Who would have ever thought purchasing a new SACD player would be so difficult. I have been considering the following players as an upgrade from my current Denon 2200. I could purchase a new Universal or keep the 2200 and just purchase a SACD/CD player.

Marantz 8260
Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi
Denon 3910
Sony DVP-NS999ES

All these can be purchased from $600 - $1000 depending on source be it new or used.

I have also considered modding the units and that costs from $400 - $1700 depening on the mods being done...

First, depending on where you read and who has posted it, all of these players are the *perfect* players for someone to purchase. Then there are the posts where all of these just would not cut it - period.

So I attempted to call a few stores in my area who *say* they carry the following companies I mentioned.

First store....Carries Marantz, Pioneer, and Sony. Called and asked if I could setup a time to come out and listen to the players. Answer: We only have the Marantz DV-8400 to listen to. The other players would have to be ordered and we would only do that if you wanted to purchase them. :(

Second store...Denon dealer. Asked why I wanted a SACD player and I should consider going with vinyl and the setup they have would cost me $2000. This is after I told them I had NO vinyl and stated my price range of $800 - $1500. I was then told that a 45 RPM 200g Vinyl album would blow away any SACD player and source. Now Vinyl does sound very good, but 1: it was over my price range, 2: I would have to start buying vinyl at $50 a pop for what they were talking about. I have seen new vinyl for $30 - $50 depending on who it was. Most vinyl that I am seeing, are remakes and not too much new. Some is out there. I then asked about listening to the Denon, and they stated they did not have one, but could possibly get one if I was interested in buy one. But their store is really about high end sound, and they specialize in Vinyl.

Third store....Pioneer and Denon. Both in stock, but not sure they could hook everything up for MCH listening or not. Just stop in and they could see if they could do it or not... :confused:

Online store.....mods Sony Player. Contacted via email. Very quick reply, very informative post. Emailed back asking questions about players and mods. Quick reply again, answered all my questions, have 30 day return if I do not like it. Same player can also be modded to a higher level for $400 - $1100 from other modders.

Man...after a day like that, just trying to find places to listen to, and getting people to show me what they have - read: nothing, it is a wonder why online places are thriving and the local stores are having trouble staying open...

Ace in the Hole.....I still have my trustly local Stereo Store that I orginally purchase my 2200 from that I have yet to visit. The salesman there is GREAT, and hopefully we/they can find something to listen to and I can end this long road...

Truely disgusted but still on my search....

Dan

Last edited:
Sounds like my Vignette vs Fresco thread..."still ongoing". I just read as I am sure you did already the reviews on the Marantz 8260 last night. The last 2 reviewers were'nt so happy even though Stereophile gave it an A rating. I have never actually heard the others in person BUT always heard from a friend in the business that the Sony was good machine.. BUT did I listen to him... I bought a Marantz SA 14. I know what you are saying about going store to store and finding sales people and equipment they say they carry not setup or not there at all

Wayne said:
Sounds like my Vignette vs Fresco thread..."still ongoing". I just read as I am sure you did already the reviews on the Marantz 8260 last night.

Yes I have been reading about your woes too.

I have read many many reviews on all the players. Which reviews were you talking about regarding the 8260?

The last 2 reviewers were'nt so happy even though Stereophile gave it an A rating. I have never actually heard the others in person BUT always heard from a friend in the business that the Sony was good machine.. BUT did I listen to him... I bought a Marantz SA 14. I know what you are saying about going store to store and finding sales people and equipment they say they carry not setup or not there at all

I have a friend with a modded 777ES and he loves it. Used they are still $1200 or so.

I know what I want, just have to take the time to find it, listen to it, and find the best sound for the price I want to pay - or is that the price my wife will allow me to pay :D

Dan

Dan,
The reviews online at AudioReview was what I was reading the other night, The last reviewers weren't as kind to the 8260 as Stereophile Mag was when they gave it that A rating... But then again I was reading it at 4am... what a life !!!!! I assume you have gone on Audiogon and read the discussions as well.

Wayne said:
I assume you have gone on Audiogon and read the discussions as well.

You name it, and I have been there reading about all the players out there. Like I said before, with each player there is a camp that loves and one that hates it. It is a matter of me getting out there, finding it, then listening to it. Unfortunately I may have to go to...aghhh!!!!!...help me.... Tweeter to find a player to listen to.

I still need to call or stop by my local SS to see what they have to offer. Just too busy with family lately to get out in the world of audio....

Dan

Well here is a question for all of you. I saw two universal DVD players today (Pioneer and Sony) selling at Circuit City for around $140.

My question is how would an SACD sound on one of these players as opposed to my standard CD player? That is, would the sound be that much better (I know they are probably not as good as a higher end SCAD) but nevetheless , in a one to one comparison playing that same SACD on my $1200 Adcom GCD-750 vs this universal player that does play SACD, would the sound difference be that notoiceable.

Anyone done a compare?
The more i think about, I think I may go get one tommorow anyways.

Obviously the the multi-channel layer (if applicable) would sound better on a player that supports that feature, but I'd imagine the Adcom would do a better job with everything else.

Then again, I could be wrong. The universal Denon 2200 that I have sounds pretty damn close to my Rotel RCD-1070.

-D

Try it. If you don't like it, you have 30 days to take it back. I have a cheap Sony which sounds good to my ears. Save your money for HI Def DVD next year. :)

Bill

Latest posts

Back