The new C8 Corvette, I'm in love, again ...........

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many owners have there been, just two?

Robert, supposedly I'm the 4th. How the gal knew my '67 was her Dads was years back she and her husband met the fella who owned it before me and he had bought it off the fella that her Dad sold it to back in '70

Robert, supposedly I'm the 4th. How the gal knew my '67 was her Dads was years back she and her husband met the fella who owned it before me and he had bought it off the fella that her Dad sold it to back in '70
Who do you plan on giving it to? My 07 911 turbo will go to my wife or daughters. None of them care a bit about it. I'm sure they'll sell it ASAP. Kinda hoping one of my daughters will want it, but I'm just dreamin!

if I'm still in possession of it when I croak my boys will deal with it, they're both car nuts, my youngest owns a C7 Grand Sport. But I'd sell it tomorrow if the $$ was right ! I've owned 7 Corvettes over the past 45 plus years, it's just a Chevy ......

With regard to electric performance, I see one serious issue.

Historically people who purchased a car capable of a 0-60 in under 4 seconds were purchasing a fairly exotic sports car lets say $250,000-$1,000,000+. It was a garage queen and they treated it with respect. Occasionally you would see pictures of one completely flattened by someone who didn't respect it.

Now people are buying these cars matter of factly en mass and showing off the Ludicris mode acceleration for friends etc...

Tesla's have the safest crash ratings of any cars ever built by a margin and yet the death rate per mile driven on them puts them at about 10x Mercedes owners and just above the national average.

They are putting 100% torque or close to it at peoples disposal for crazy acceleration at any speed. This doesn't give people even a split second to reconsider or back off the throttle and people are getting themselves in trouble and serious accidents.

Recently I noticed that the Model Y's come from the factory with a 4.8 sec 0-60 and it is a $2,000 upgrade through a software upgrade to allow 4.2 sec 0-60. That may help deter some people and I'm sure insurance companies would love to know who purchased that option.

Related to this, people's opinions of Tesla owners as drivers on the road has been plummeting and there is a good reason for that. Let's say there is a gap in traffic that most cars could never reach from an onset ramp or a stop, but the Tesla owner knows he can make that gap easily. When he accelerates at a rate most people are not expecting and pops into traffic, it is catching people by surprise and they are having "negative thoughts".

Tesla does have a chill mode that backs off the performance, but I suspect very few owners take advantage of that and most likely the people using it are not the ones killing themselves who don't respect the power under foot.

With regard to electric performance, I see one serious issue.

Historically people who purchased a car capable of a 0-60 in under 4 seconds were purchasing a fairly exotic sports car lets say $250,000-$1,000,000+. It was a garage queen and they treated it with respect. Occasionally you would see pictures of one completely flattened by someone who didn't respect it.

Now people are buying these cars matter of factly en mass and showing off the Ludicris mode acceleration for friends etc...

Tesla's have the safest crash ratings of any cars ever built by a margin and yet the death rate per mile driven on them puts them at about 10x Mercedes owners and just above the national average.

They are putting 100% torque or close to it at peoples disposal for crazy acceleration at any speed. This doesn't give people even a split second to reconsider or back off the throttle and people are getting themselves in trouble and serious accidents.

Recently I noticed that the Model Y's come from the factory with a 4.8 sec 0-60 and it is a $2,000 upgrade through a software upgrade to allow 4.2 sec 0-60. That may help deter some people and I'm sure insurance companies would love to know who purchased that option.

Related to this, people's opinions of Tesla owners as drivers on the road has been plummeting and there is a good reason for that. Let's say there is a gap in traffic that most cars could never reach from an onset ramp or a stop, but the Tesla owner knows he can make that gap easily. When he accelerates at a rate most people are not expecting and pops into traffic, it is catching people by surprise and they are having "negative thoughts".

Tesla does have a chill mode that backs off the performance, but I suspect very few owners take advantage of that and most likely the people using it are not the ones killing themselves who don't respect the power under foot.
Good point. Can you imagine a teenage driver in one for their first car? They look rather sedate,and people probably underestimate them. My 911 does 0 to 60 in about 3 seconds, but I didn't drive it until I was in my 40s and a very experienced driver. I also track it and get experience there. I can easy see a lot of folks get themselves into trouble driving some electric cars.

I have a neighbor that owned a Mustang gt500. He was showing off in it and ended up flipping it over upside down. It was a convertible and the accident killed his passenger.

Friend has one in white. Absolutely beautiful! Nose has a bit of Mclaren, IMHO.

I live in San Diego, land of the Tesla…I’ve only once ever seen a driver doing a max acceleration run, honestly I feel like most of the drive no differently than anyone else.

I live in San Diego, land of the Tesla…I’ve only once ever seen a driver doing a max acceleration run, honestly I feel like most of the drive no differently than anyone else.

I've never seen one doing this either and I'm very sure that 99% of the time you will just see them moving along with traffic. But if you have a take a driver over the course an entire year and see what the worst situation was that a driver accidentally got into was that occurred over a split second, the results may look a bit skewed with Tesla drivers having more close calls statistically.

Keep in mind that the overall death per mile rate for Teslas is only a tick above the average for all cars on the road. So it's not like we are going to see this happen every day.

BTW I very much like Teslas in general and my next car will be electric, BUT I would like to see Li Sulfide or Na Sulfide batteries first. They have no runaway thermal conditions, don't require cooling and will have more capacity, more duty cycles and faster charging.

Na Sulfide is really the end game because both Sodium and Sulfur are plentiful and cheap. Lithium has been increasing very quickly due to demand.

Sadly the C8.R didn't do very well this past weekend at Watkins Glen, kind of a throw away year for the Corvette racing team as everything transitions to GT3 spec for IMSA. Regardless my boys and I had a great time at the 'Glen' !

Latest posts

Back