The new C8 Corvette, I'm in love, again ...........

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we are voting for favorites based on looks, for me the order is as follows:
There are no others. Yes, I skipped '63 split window, don't tell my buddy's uncle who had one.

This is based solely on looks, not performance because the order would be reversed, and not for the least amount of rattles because none of what I listed would make that list. sorry twitch

Regardless, while an all electric my out accelerate my '67 BB it will never sound as good !
Yep, no beating the sound in a convertible w/a big V8. Lovely car Dave!

A buddy and neighbor of mine had a Cobra with very loud side-pipes, it was awesome from an acoustic standpoint!
But handling was not its forté. Very tail-happy.

Another neighbor & friend has a Ferrari 458 Spyder that he let me drive, and boy, that is another sweet-sounding V8.

Last edited:
Yep, no beating the sound in a convertible w/a big V8. Lovely car Dava!
Especially with the side pipes!

Another neighbor & friend has a Ferrari 458 Spyder that he let me drive, and boy, that is another sweet-sounding V8.
In my youth I was a staunch Ferrari fan with my favorite being, and still is, the "Not A Ferrari" Dino. Almost bought one when it was overpriced (at the time, and in its depleted condition) at $10K back around 1980.

Fast forward a lifetime, I ended up buying my next favorite mid-engine car, also the slowest of the brand at the time it was built, a 2004 Porsche Boxster. The newest version of the body style I like the best. Sold it a year ago and was expecting to get a newer, but less good looking version, but that was pre-pandemic thinking. I keep trying to convince myself to get a 911 but I only like that in a coupe, and I will only buy a convertible for a fun car. It's my motorcycle replacement since I don't ride anymore.

And . . . I love mid-engined cars, which is why the new Corvette is so attractive! Not for looks, but for what it is functionally speaking. Also it seems that the latest few series of Corvettes have been very solid in build. Always great performers, but even more so now. I wonder if Sabine Schmitz could beat the C8 Corvette at The 'Ring in her 911? I'm not so sure . . . .

Especially with the side pipes!

In my youth I was a staunch Ferrari fan with my favorite being, and still is, the "Not A Ferrari" Dino. Almost bought one when it was overpriced (at the time, and in its depleted condition) at $10K back around 1980.

Fast forward a lifetime, I ended up buying my next favorite mid-engine car, also the slowest of the brand at the time it was built, a 2004 Porsche Boxster. The newest version of the body style I like the best. Sold it a year ago and was expecting to get a newer, but less good looking version, but that was pre-pandemic thinking. I keep trying to convince myself to get a 911 but I only like that in a coupe, and I will only buy a convertible for a fun car. It's my motorcycle replacement since I don't ride anymore.

And . . . I love mid-engined cars, which is why the new Corvette is so attractive! Not for looks, but for what it is functionally speaking. Also it seems that the latest few series of Corvettes have been very solid in build. Always great performers, but even more so now. I wonder if Sabine Schmitz could beat the C8 Corvette at The 'Ring in her 911? I'm not so sure . . . .
Get a 911 Targa, good compromise.

I keep trying to convince myself to get a 911 but I only like that in a coupe, and I will only buy a convertible for a fun car. It's my motorcycle replacement since I don't ride anymore.
I drove a 2002 911 Turbo once, great car, but I'm more into mid-engine.
I used to race Motocross in my 20's, and love bikes, but have refused to ride for the last 20 years, as I'm convinced I'd kill myself ;) So totally sympathize.

The very best for me, as a total tech geek (and I've driven it on track) is the Acura NSX. It checks all my boxes: Mid-engine, Hybrid (so both nice sounds and e-Torque), AWD with torque vectoring (Super-Handling in Acura-speak), and superb ergonomics along with affordable insurance and maintenance (for a supercar, that is).

Me, in a 2017 NSX at AMP in June of 2017

JonNSX-AMP-3.jpg

The 2019/20 variant I want in Thermal Orange:

2019NSX-Orange.png

But curious as to the rumored eHybrid version of the C8, might be a more affordable variant.

Get a 911 Targa, good compromise.

love the current Targa's. I had one Porsche back in the late nineties, it was a between time in my Corvette ownership, LOL ! It was an '84 911 Targa, while I for the most part enjoyed the car I hated the '915' transmission. Porsche finally came out with the G50 in '87 and made things much better

I drove a 2002 911 Turbo once, great car, but I'm more into mid-engine.
I used to race Motocross in my 20's, and love bikes, but have refused to ride for the last 20 years, as I'm convinced I'd kill myself ;) So totally sympathize.

The very best for me, as a total tech geek (and I've driven it on track) is the Acura NSX. It checks all my boxes: Mid-engine, Hybrid (so both nice sounds and e-Torque), AWD with torque vectoring (Super-Handling in Acura-speak), and superb ergonomics along with affordable insurance and maintenance (for a supercar, that is).

Me, in a 2017 NSX at AMP in June of 2017

View attachment 21179

The 2019/20 variant I want in Thermal Orange:

View attachment 21180

But curious as to the rumored eHybrid version of the C8, might be a more affordable variant.

Way to go Jonathan , lookin' good !!

As much as we love the looks of these cars, they each have a unique aural signature as a group I'm sure we appreciate.
One of my favs is the double clutch upshifts in Bullitt. What a soundtrack!
How many times have you rolled the window down to hear a particular car go by??

hey Jonathan, this is for you, looking forward to next year at the 'Glen' !
Thanks, and hey, if we're vaccinated and all that by June, would love to catch that IMSA race the 'Glen !
Beautiful area, maybe we can meet up a day before and go for a spin in that gorgeous 'Vette of yours.

Thanks, and hey, if we're vaccinated and all that by June, would love to catch that IMSA race the 'Glen !
Beautiful area, maybe we can meet up a day before and go for a spin in that gorgeous 'Vette of yours.

Fingers crossed ! Obviously we didn't attend this year but our reservations are in place for next year. I've been going to the Glen since '74, it and Elkhart Lake are my two favorite tracks

Any thoughts of coming up this year for the '6 hours of the Glen' ? I'll be rolling in Friday morning (6/24). I added another Corvette to the stable .........
'67 : Z06 side profile.JPG

Dave, that ‘67 Vette is gorgeous! Almost as gorgeous as my ‘55 Jag. I can just imagine how sweet it sounds.

Dave, that ‘67 Vette is gorgeous!

Thanks Rich, a couple weekends back the daughter of the original owner approached me at our local coffee & cars. Had to get a pic of her in it since the last one she had was at her High School graduation back in '68 !
Betsy re-sizedpg.jpg

Latest posts

Back