"The Holiday Tune up"

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
I have just recently commented on Jeff's nice "re-do" of his listening room and he had mentioned how the visual changes were not the only ones, for sonic improvements followed as well.

That brings up a good point that I can attest to, for recently I "tweeked" my speaker positions by a mere 1.5 inches and improvement was gained both in depth and sounstage. the point I'm making is that almost a year ago when I intially set-up my Vantage's I thouight I had them "just right" and they did sound mighty fine but someimes after you have spent so much time tweeking you need to listen for a while and not be afraid to re-adjust !

best part....it took just alittle time, tape measure, masking tape no no $$$ spent !!

Dave,

Which way did you tweak your Vantages? Did you toe them in more?

Joey :rocker:

Joey, just a tad over and inch further out from the wall and about a quarter of an inch more toe-in. I actually tried greater numbers than those but settled back to them for I felt it was "the magic spot" !

Since Dave started all of this, I decided to follow suit :rocker:

I changed the tilt on my speakers, going a quarter of a turn lower on the rear leg.

After a nice discussion with Glenn at GIK Acoustics, I ordered 4 more of the GIK panels to acoustically treat the rear wall (in front of bookcase) and rear corners of my room. Arrival is scheduled for early next week.

Dan

Hey Dan, So I'm not the only one continuing to "tweek and twiddle", I think I can speak for most of us in saying we've enjoyed your continued room accoustic upgrades, along with the apparent cost effective means by which you have obtained them. I'd love to see some pics once you have the new panels in place for the pics would be worth a thousand words !!

Hey Dan, So I'm not the only one continuing to "tweek and twiddle"...!!

Same here. Can't seem to leave well enough alone and haven't been sitting idle either. I've been working on room acoustics and the challenge of mainting an acceptable WAF factor that goes along with trying to improve room acoustics . I recently made 4 more DIY acoustic panels to hang on the walls. I asked the wife to pick out the fabric covering and glad I did she has a much better eye for interior design/decorating than I. Key to good WAF is getting them involved. I've very lucky to have a wife that tolerates and usually even enjoys and supports my audio interests.

I also came across 8 used ASC panels at my favorite local high-end dealer and snatched those up yesterday. That was a rare find. I'm still experimenting with positioning of the panels and not even close to having them all properly setup let alone hung on the walls yet. I do have them leaning up against the walls with a noticeable improvement in overall sound quality so far including better bass.

Not done yet...I also just ordered a pair of ASC tube traps to throw in the corners but it'll be several days yet before they arrive. I've been fighting room acoustic issues for a few years now and got tired of throwing pillows and blankets in the corners and elsewhere.

Finally came across the pair of Bi-wired Audience AU24 cables I've desiring since I sold my last pair of AU24 single set. I really like the sound of these cables. I distincly hear a difference between most cables I've used in my system. You can debate the cable thing if you want but I my ears haven't lied to me yet and therefore I have no reason not to trust them.

I'll post some photos soon of the redone room and my latest interation of the Tubed-Summit rig. Time for an update of my system anyway. I'll also do a DIY on acoustic panels. They're actually very easy to make.

I guess this is turning out to be more of a major make-over than a holiday tune-up. But I'm having fun and enjoying it. Isn't that the whole idea?

Last edited:
Not done yet...I also just ordered a pair of ASC tube traps to throw in the corners but it'll be several days yet before they arrive. I've been fighting room acoustic issues for a few years now and got tired of throwing pillows and blankets in the corners and elsewhere.

Finally came across the pair of Bi-wired Audience AU24 cables I've desiring since I sold my last pair of AU24 single set. I really like the sound of these cables. I distincly hear a difference between most cables I've used in my system. You can debate the cable thing if you want but I my ears haven't lied to me yet and therefore I have no reason not to trust them.

I'll post some photos soon of the redone room and my latest interation of the Tubed-Summit rig. Time for an update of my system anyway. I'll also do a DIY on acoustic panels. They're actually very easy to make.

Craig, I am contemplating making some corner traps unless I come across something used at a good price, lucky for you to have come across a good deal at your local Audio Salon ! I totally understand the cable thing, for me it is trying to find the "Holly Grail" of cables at a reasonable price point ! As I'm sure this applies to most of us.

Looking forward to your pics after the changes are done.

Back