the Gathering - Black Light District

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomDac

former MLO owner/operator
Reaction score
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>the Gathering
Black Light District
2002 Psychonaut Records
Genre: Pop/Rock

rr_poprock_3.jpg

</TD><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=750>General Comments
[size=-2]07/06/2004 Peter Voelker [/size]
the Gathering is a band from the Netherlands. Originally a heavy metal band, they have evolved to a mellow atmospheric progressive rock sound. Their strongest point (IMHO) is their singer. She has the voice of an angel. The individual players do not have the chops of a progressive band, but their combined songwriting skill has made them a favorite of mine for years.

This CD was released as an EP. There are only 3 tracks, but don’t let that stop you. The first track is 18 minutes long.

Track 1. Black Light District. This is a very long song. It starts of really mellow with a nice piano intro, then drum, and then voice. I’m not a piano expert, but this recording sounds exceptionally to me. It’s as if I’m inside the piano. I am a drummer though, and these drums sounds exceptionally real as well. Then it breaks into an industrial metal-inspired drive with keyboard subtlely layered on top, ending up a very depressed, forlorn, but beautiful exit. When she sings the exit, it reminds me of roaming the streets of London on a chilly night at 3:30 AM with a slight drizzle. The musical beauty of this exit brings tears to my eyes. Track 2: Debris. This is a very industrial sounding song. More than any other of their songs. Kind of mid-tempo. The effects from the synth bass, keyboards, and electronic drums keep this interesting. As usual the beautiful melodic singing is entrancing.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

Back