The Canadian Anthem is playing in my HT...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
Well, after previewing the Anthem P2 at home. Then auditioning the, Cary Cinema X, the B&K 200.5, and the Simaudio Moon Aurora, amplifiers, in stores. With much thought, consideration and reseach, and soul searching, I've taken the plunge... I just took delivery of the, "Anthem Statement P5" amplifier, yesterday. It took me about 4 - 5 hours to set up, this 'Bad Boy', in my HT. As some of you know, my dedicated HT room is quite small (12'x11'x8'), a converted small bedroom actually. Thinking creatively, and out side of the box, was the only way, I was able to fit this huge, amplifier into my HT room. Mostly, because the of the wonderful build quality of the, "Omimount" audio equipment rack, I had purchased some time ago (Tom D., you know what I'm talking about).

http://statement.anthemav.com/HTML/Products/P_Series/P_Series.html

So, with the help of my big, strong son, I was able to place the Anthem P5 on the bottom shelf of the audio rack. Having replaced the glass shelf with a 1/2 inch. thick wooden shelf to hold the, 130 pound weight, of the P5 amp. I had to move my Pioneer VSX 59 TXi (80 lbs.) to a sturdy stand next to the Omimount audio rack.

It was all worth it, as the Anthem P5, has finially given my ML speakers their voice, at last... I never really knew what I was missing, WOW!!! The details the positioning of the instruments when I listen to music. Especially, with vocals. Eva Cassidy, Daina Krall and Natalie Cole never sounded better with my new, 'P5' powered, finially musical, stereo system. My Ascent i's, sounded as beautifully rich and musical, as when I had auditioned the Anthem P2, in my home, a couple of weeks ago. The P5 was very musical, rich bass and glorious vocals (Highs & Mids). I am going to start listening to more music, definitly! Musically, I agree, with some of the reviews of, Anthem P5, it's not a tube sound, but it is the very best SS sound of all of the amplifiers I had auditioned.

In comarision to the other amplifiers I auditioned, I found the Anthem P5 to be, much more powerful and translucent than the Cary Cinema X. More exact and attention to details than the, Cinema X. Their was not even any comparision between the P5 and the B&K. IMHO, I found the, B&K in be too harsh at times, too bright, brassy, to my ears. The B&K, added something to the sound..., in addition to the brightness, I want to say a darkness to the sound, I was hearing. My ears did not like it.
Now the, Simaudio, Moon Aurora, amplifier was the closest to the sound of the Anthem P2 and the P5. The Moon Aurora, has a beautiful dynamic sound with attention to detail and clarity of sound, both in music, and with movies. For me, it was between these two amplifiers - the Anthem P5 and the Moon Aurora. In the end, I had to choose the, Anthem P5, beacuse the sound was a little more filled-in, more clear / translucent and beautiful. I also, thought, the (individual monoblock) power of the P5, was needed for my ML speakers...

My ML speakers really sing, now... For HT and movies, I was literally blowen away, WOW..., The dynamic's, the precise placement of the sound effects, is truly amazing. For instance, I watched the first battle sequence of the movie, "Master and Commander", - Oh my god! I felt like,... I was there... really. With each bomb blast, I could hear every grain of sand and wood hitting the deck, of the ship. I think my, Pioneer 59TXi A/V reciever had been clipping or stressed beyond it's build capabilities, as this movie, was uncomforable to hear before, with the 59TXi... The Pioneer 59TXi, was actually hurting my ears, during the dynamic special effect sequences. The exact oppisit for the Anthem P5..., the sound of the battle sences were, 'life like' and realistic, natural, non fatiguing and very enjoyable.

I have my HT system set to, "THX Ultra 2", which as, I'm sure you guys know, means that all of my speakers are set to, "small", during movie watching. All bass sound go to my, ML Descent. For the first time, my Ascent i's, Theater i, and Script i's were brought foreward, into the sound track. I could actually hear no strain in the vocals, music or the special sound effects. The Descent and all the other ML speakers, easily and for the first time came together, bonding between the highs, mids and the bass for the first time. I know that the Anthem P5, made this movie experiance possible, on my system in my HT. The P5, gave my system real power, depth and quality.

IMHO, I believe, it is truly, the best purchase, I have made since purchasing, most of my ML's, alittle over a year ago...

I am sooooo tried though (in a good way), as I was up all night last night, listening to music and watching movies. I am tired and very happy, with my new Anthem Statement P5, amplifier. Somehow, I feel light and airy..., and then, I realize it's beacuse, I'm $5000.00 (USD) lighter...

PS - I really want to take the time to again, thank - Jeff, Dan, Roberto, Mark, Tom D, SugarMedia, EricE and especially Zip3k07 (Joe), and all the rest of the wonderful folk here, on the greatest web-site in the world, for all of your excellent advice , support and encouragement... I really appreciate it.

Now, it's off to dream land where I can start dreaming of a, Shanling SACD T200C, tubed CD player,:D with visions of a CJ tubed per-amp., or a new pair of ML Summits :)

Sweet dreams...

-Robin

Robin, congrats on the arrival of your new 130lb baby!! I love reading these success stories from everyone... it gets me all pumped up.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Congratulations Robin,

Well you beat me to the P5, DAMN!

At least I know I have been after the right amplifier, the P5 sounds grate, that mono block design of the P5 should really let your Logan’s open up, and reach a new level of detail your Pioneer receiver was never able to achieve. At this point in time I am trying to sell my Sunfire Theater Grand III pre-amp because I am replacing it with the Anthem Statement D1 pre-amp, after that comes the A5 or P5.

Enjoy that new toy Robin.

P.S. I look forward to seeing new photos of your system with the P5. :D

When's popcorn night?

I was wondering why you werren't so active on the board lately. Hope you don't mind some of us being a bit jealous of your equipment. Maybe some day for me.....

Enjoy your toys.

Last edited:
Robin said:
Well, after previewing the Anthem P2 at home. Then auditioning the, Cary Cinema X, the B&K 200.5, and the Simaudio Moon Aurora, amplifiers, in stores. With much thought, consideration and reseach, and soul searching, I've taken the plunge... I just took delivery of the, "Anthem Statement P5" amplifier, yesterday.

Very nice. See wasn't auditioning the equipment at home the best way to go in figuring out how to "blow" all that cash? :) Congrats!!!

Their was not even any comparision between the P5 and the B&K. IMHO, I found the, B&K in be too harsh at times, too bright, brassy, to my ears. The B&K, added something to the sound..., in addition to the brightness, I want to say a darkness to the sound, I was hearing. My ears did not like it.

This has been my opinions and thoughts on B&K over the past couple of years when I listened to it. It always seems to be just as you decribed.

My ML speakers really sing, now... For HT and movies, I was literally blowen away, WOW..., The dynamic's, the precise placement of the sound effects, is truly amazing.

IMHO, I believe, it is truly, the best purchase, I have made since purchasing, most of my ML's, alittle over a year ago...

Isn't it great when you put some really nice amplification to a pair of ML's? You have now experienced it first hand and can pass on your experiences to others!!!

Enjoy your music and your new toy!!!! BTW, have you called in sick to work for Monday, Tuesday, etc. etc. :eek:

Later...Dan

congratulations...

Hola Robin...it is very nice and good to know that you are that happy. This is what our beloved hobby is...I think that you should be now enjoying it and it will give you many hours of pleasure. Listening ML sound with good and well build equipment is the best...again, enjoy your new toy! and I know that you will be listening again all your CDs and DVDs...happy listening and trust your ears!!!
Cheers,
Roberto :D

Robin,
I am happy that you have found something that will make your ML's sing!
Enjoy the P5 and re-enjoy your ML's

I am thinking that you may get the ML flu come next week LOL :D

Jeff :cool:

Robin,

Reading your review put a smile on my face and a warm spot in my heart. I am really happy for you. ;) What a fantastic write up you did as well. I felt like I was there with you experiencing it all as you were! How does it look lit up? Reading about those blue LEDs made me think it must really be cool looking in the dark. I cannot wait to see the pictures! Congrats and I am really happy for you! :D

Mark

Dang... a P5! That's a MONSTER if I ever saw one! Glad you like it.. enjoy it to the fullest, my friend.

;)

I am really glad you wrote this! I have come to be dissatisfied with what is running my MLs. That is exactly the word for the B&K gear--brassy. I am now going to wait for the D1 to have video scaling and go for it when I can pick it up used. I have been running through my amp options and have been strongly looking in the Cary Cinema X direction. I thought I would get the "solidtube" detail in the mid and highs that I wanted w/ a multichannel cinema amp. I have not even been looking at the Anthem amps, so that really helps me. Besides the amount of power is there a big difference between the A2/A5 and P2/P5? I only have Aeoni, Scripti, Theateri, & Fresco, so I am thinking I could get away with lesser expensive A model?
Did you look into it at all?

Thanks

rynopr said:
I am really glad you wrote this! I have come to be dissatisfied with what is running my MLs. That is exactly the word for the B&K gear--brassy. I am now going to wait for the D1 to have video scaling and go for it when I can pick it up used. I have been running through my amp options and have been strongly looking in the Cary Cinema X direction. I thought I would get the "solidtube" detail in the mid and highs that I wanted w/ a multichannel cinema amp. I have not even been looking at the Anthem amps, so that really helps me. Besides the amount of power is there a big difference between the A2/A5 and P2/P5? I only have Aeoni, Scripti, Theateri, & Fresco, so I am thinking I could get away with lesser expensive A model?
Did you look into it at all?

Thanks

Helllo Rynopr,

I currently have an Anthem Statement D1 (used) lined up, I should have it in about a week. As soon as they release the update from D1 to D2 status I will send it in for the upgrade. I can’t wait to have HDMI video switching with video scaling.

The A2/A5 are very similar in design to the big dog P2/P5. The P5 is a true mono block design, which in the P5’s case has five independent amplifier modules each with its own set of compositors and power supply. Each one runs independently from the other. Think of it as five separate mono block amp’s housed in one chassis. As for the A5 each channel is it own individual module, but all five channels share a set of compositors and two mid size transformers. Think of it like what B&K does, you have there smaller 125. series and you have the bigger 200watt Reference series.

One thing to keep in mid with the P5 is it has two power cords and both must be plugged in. Anthem says to plug each one into separate circuits. The P5 is a power hungry beast.

Thank you, one and all, for all of your wonderful words...

Thanks everyone!

WOW! I left my HT room and my new toy, to check in here..., and found all your words of encouragement. It was my intent, to give to all of you, a detailed discription / review of the Anthem P5, my impressions of the experiance. I am glad you guys enjoyed my thoughts on the P5 and, Thanks again... It means alot to me... :D

rynopr,

I loved the sound of the, Anthem A2 and the A5, but just wanted more power for my system, as I am concidering a possible future up-grade, of my Front speakers (to Summit's or something similar), years from now. Mostly, I just wanted to have the power, in addition to some other refinements that the "P" series has to offer, over the "A" series. But, they both sound wonderful...

Mark,

Yes..., I felt like, all of you guys were with me, as I was making the purchase... IMHO, call me senimental but, I think, it is all apart of the bond we share together. I take it to heart... I does mean so much to me, personally. We really have a kinship, in addition to lots in common...

The LED, 'Blue Lights', of the P5 amplifier look fantastic next to the Blue lights of my Ascent i's and the Descent's Blue lite - 'ML', symbol. Whats so cool is they all match - in blue lights... I have already taken some photo's which I will post here when they are developed, probably in a week or two... I'm in audio heaven!!! :D

Roberto,

I took your advice... I trusted my ears. Thanks

Jeff,

You are quite correct, work will have to wait, awhile... :p

Dan,

Auditioning, at home was key... and I will pass on my experiances. Thank you

Kruppy,

It will happen for you too, someday... Thanks for your encouragement...

Joe,

The info. on the Anthem you gave me, in the begining was extremely helpful, along with your impressions. Thanks

SugarMedia,

You have been soooo influencial to me... A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away... (I don't know if you remember), when, I first came to this ML forum, you graciously and kindly challenged me..., to power my expensive ML speakers. To make them sing... After careful thought and concideration, I realized you knew what you were talking about, and you were quite correct, I needed to power / drive my expensive ML speakers, not just for HT, but as you said, 'to concider music more', which is what movies are mostly filled up with (in addition to sound effects). I know now, I am on the road at least.

My dreams for the future now enclude: 1). Improved Interconnects cables. 2). Possible ML Summits (or something similar) front speakers. 3). Tubed two channel or two mono blocks amplifiers, for my front speakers, for music listening mostly. 3). A Tubed SACD player. 4). A tubed pre-amp.

Thanks again everyone!

Cheers

-Robin

Can you give me more detail on the comparison between the Cary Cinema X and the P5?
In my mind, this is what I am wanting that I am not getting. I want much more detail at lower listening volumes with refined mids and highs. I want much more pronounced, clear, and detailed dialogue from my Theateri that I am not getting. We are still having to say, "What did they say?" I hate that :mad:
Right now I'm thinking a P2 for my mains and an A5 for my center and surrounds. Do you think the A5 will do the trick for dialogue?

Congrats on a nice system

Robin said:
My dreams for the future now enclude: 1). Improved Interconnects cables. 2). Possible ML Summits (or something similar) front speakers. 3). Tubed two channel or two mono blocks amplifiers, for my front speakers, for music listening mostly. 3). A Tubed SACD player. 4). A tubed pre-amp.
1st, congratulations on a nice system. Now, on to what the future holds... If I have to put things in order, it would be as follows: 1) tubed pre-amp. 2) tube amplifier (preferably tube monoblocs). 3) good SACD player. Does not have to be tubed, good power-supplies & analogue stage are keys. 4) improved cables. 5) ML Summits.

Spike

Powerful sound imagining....

rynopr,

In comparing the, "Anthem P5" with the "Cary Cinema X", it all boiled down to a difference in 'Sound Imagining' of the two amplifiers. The P5 would project the sound better, diving all the speakers at will and as needed (The A5, did this too but with less authority, as the P5 was much more powerful), as the Cary Cinema X, did not have the imagining of the sound with power. I had the same problem with my Theater i, i. e., not being able to hear the voices, over the other HT sound effects or music (with my Pioneer VSX 59TXi). I had to have the volume up to, "-15" when I was using just my Pioneer 59TXi (+20 being the highest volume). Now, with my Anthem P5, I listen and hear all details in voices on my, Theater i, at a volume of, "-25".... It is all because my Theater i, is driven, with power, by the Anthem P5. So now..., I can easily hear, even whispers of vioces properly, at lower volume levels on my Theater i... I know, it's hard to believe, but the huge monster P5, was also very sweet sounding, much more translucent with all of the delicate details in the sound, at lower volumes than was the Cary. Don't get me wrong, the Cary Cinema X, is a great amplifier too,.. but much less of an amplifier..., to my ears. Also, IMHO, with two channel (or P2) the Anthem is very pernounced and defined with Bass reproduction..., handling two channel without any stress or strain. I also enjoyed the A5's, bass, mid and highs, but at higher referance volumes, I senced, a slight strain, which the P5 never showed... Now the choice between the Simaudio, Moon Aurora, and the Anthem P5, was much more difficult a decission as I stated in the first post...

I hope this helps....:)

PS - You know, I did have an electrican, install two more individual, deticated, 20 amp. circuts to my HT room, just for my, 'Anthem Statement P5' amplifier.... I also, had the electrican's up grade the two electric circut's, I already had going to my HT room, from two 15 amp citcut's, to two 20 amp. circut's. Currently, I have, a total of, four, 20 amp individual circut's (80 amp's. total) going to my HT room...

Cheers

-Robin

Spike,

I agree, with your ranking of what should be next, for the future... Tubed pre-amp and tubed mono blocks (which is actually, how I'm leaning). I do love excellent sweet sounding tubed music too...

However, having said that, I'm not sure, I'll be able to resist, if a wounderful 'Blue-Ray' DVD player comes along..., as I can hardly wait for high definition DVD's, to come out... as I love great movies, presented in, as close to film presentation, as possible. :D

Cheers

-Robin

Robin said:
PS - You know, I did have an electrican, install two more individual, deticated, 20 amp. circuts to my HT room, just for my, 'Anthem Statement P5' amplifier.... I also, had the electrican's up grade the two electric circut's, I already had going to my HT room, from two 15 amp citcut's, to two 20 amp. circut's. Currently, I have, a total of, four, 20 amp individual circut's (80 amp's. total) going to my HT room...

I was wondering how you were powering the P5, I am glade to see you went the safe route with two dedicated lines. :D

Last edited:
It was expensive, but worth it....

Joe,

Yes, It was soooo worth, the extra $1,000.00 (USD), that it cost for the electrical circut's instalation... You know, I have all that high end gear, in my system and a 9000 BTU, air conditioner too... It all requires alot of extra juice. And, I thought my electric bill was high before..... :eek:

Thanks again, Joe...:D

PS- rynopr, your welcome, glad I could help..... :)

Cheers

-Robin

Robin said:
rynopr,
as I love great movies, presented in, as close to film presentation, as possible. :D Cheers -Robin

Off topic, but Robin if you can find it, check out the movie called, "the triplets of belleville."

http://www.sonyclassics.com/triplets/

You'll get a big kick out this through your ML's... promise.

Not really off-topic, but how does the Anthem amp line go?

There's the P, there's the A, there's the M.... hmm?

Whats the top to bottom distribution?

Back