The Canadian Anthem is playing in my HT...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rynopr said:
I've been going round and round with this. I really need input on what I should do. Ideally, I would get a P2 and P5. However, my funds are not limitless, so I have to cut corners. I have 2 aeonis and theateri in the front, 2 frescos for my sides, and scriptis for my rears. Also keep in mind I am looking to pick these things up used. Now and then I see them for really good prices.

Option #1 Should I be considering a P5 to run all the electrostats and an A2 to run the Frescos.
Option #2 A P2 to run the mains and an A5 to run the theateri, scripti, and frescos.

My only fear with option 2 is that I am not going to get the crisp, clear, precise dialog that I want. It is clear that I will get that with the P5, but is still questionable to me with the A5.

Why not get an A5 and A2?

Do you really need all that power from the P5?

The A5/A2 should be more then plenty for you Aeon's, Theater, and Scripts.

EDIT:
You should also take note that the P5 and P2 amps use the same chassis, which is very big and may not fit into your entertainment center.

9 3/8 H, 19 1/4 W, 22 1/2 D.

Last edited:
Ok, let me clarify a bit here. Will you notice a big difference if you were to have amp X on the front 3 channels while retaining the B & K for all the others? Do you need all 7 channels to be of exactly the same amplification while the speakers are of different models of the same manufacturer? I sure cannot tell the difference as I already stated previously, but that's just me. If you do need quality amplification, why not get just a P5 to drive the fronts, center & rears, while leaving the B&K driving the Frescos?
You're looking for "improvements in musical details and dialog clarity" which means front 3 channels most of the times, in my limited multi-channel experiences. If this is the case, why not spend $$$, focusing on the 3 front channels instead of spreading them around to the other channels, thereby compromising the quality of what you're seeking in the first place. As an example, I'd consider getting 3 Monarchy Audio SM70-Pro (75w monoblocs) to supplement the front channels in a bi-amping configuration with the B&K amplifier pulling bass duties. Basically, this option gives you 75watts of class-A, zero-feedback amplification for the panels to give you the musical details and dialog clarity. Cost? SM70-pro are going on AudioGon for about $400 each!! I think this is a much more attractive solution than getting a P5+P2. Another option? Proceed AMP5 (going on A'Gon for about $2k) which is also a 5 channel, multi-bloc configuration just like the P5.
Again, as I stated before, lots of options, but first you'll need to figure out what is it you're looking for (and why).

Good luck
Spike

Anthem D1 or D2...

Joe,

I've been thinking, if I ever come up with more $$$. I'm concidering a new processor - the new Anthem D2, possibly... ;) It seems to be a good match for the P5... What do you think? How do you like the D1? Have you up-graded it yet?

Cheers

-Robin

Robin said:
Joe,

I've been thinking, if I ever come up with more $$$. I'm concidering a new processor - the new Anthem D2, possibly... ;) It seems to be a good match for the P5... What do you think? How do you like the D1? Have you up-graded it yet?

Cheers

-Robin

I have had it about two week's now and I am love'n it. I will try and get my review of the D1 up by monday. :D

Back