The Canadian Anthem is playing in my HT...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joey_V said:
Not really off-topic, but how does the Anthem amp line go?

There's the P, there's the A, there's the M.... hmm?

Whats the top to bottom distribution?
The PVA and MCA series came first it is there entry-level components. If your looking for better the Statement line is there flagship products. For statement pre-amps they only offer the Statement D1, with amps the "A" series is the next step up from MCA and "P" being the best they make.

The MCA amps and statement "A" amps are basically the same with different chassis’s, the statement A’s do have a few upgraded components but it's like Martin Logan with the Ascent vs. Ascent “i”, they are a little different but sonically just about the same.

I like Anthem because they live by the “KISS” philosophy (keep it simple stupid).

Amps
PVA > MCA > A > P

Pre-amps
AVM30 or D1

Hope is helps
Joe

Last edited:
I understand that the P-amps are the best they make, but what about the MCA-20 type amp? Is this what you refer to as the A? Or is this the AVM?

Joey_V said:
I understand that the P-amps are the best they make, but what about the MCA-20 type amp? Is this what you refer to as the A? Or is this the AVM?

Sorry, I fixed my previous post.

PVA/MCA and Statement are two different series. Check out Anthems web site, I think that will help you. There Statement products are on there own website separate from the regular line.

Anthems Ragular amps PVA and MCA series
Anthems Statement Amps A and P series

http://www.anthemav.com/
http://statement.anthemav.com/

Last edited:
Spike said:
1st, congratulations on a nice system. Now, on to what the future holds... If I have to put things in order, it would be as follows: 1) tubed pre-amp. 2) tube amplifier (preferably tube monoblocs). 3) good SACD player. Does not have to be tubed, good power-supplies & analogue stage are keys. 4) improved cables. 5) ML Summits.

Spike

You for forgot number .01) A good vinyl set-up.

Tons of music availble for pennies on the dollar and with a good recording, better sound than the best SACD or DVD-A.

Front End First!

It's been a week and...

After one week with my new, "Anthem Statement P5" amplifier, I am discovering so very many new and beautiful, musical & dymanic sounds, through my ML's. Hearing so many varied detailed sounds, out of my ML's, especially my, Theater i. I am so amazed and bowled-over... The imagining and the diffinition of each sound and how my ML's reporduce that sound, in the way only ML's can do, it just blows my mind... I am having a blast, a week after the purchase... No buyer's remorse here...

When my family, can not find me... They just go to the HT room, and I'm there..., having more fun than the law allows listening, wrapped around my ML speakers...
Practically, I've found, "I can love, my Martin Logan speakers, but I can't "Love", them" :D :D :D

Cheers

-Robin

Robin,

I like how you keep say the entire amp's model number... "Anthem Statement P5 Amplifier" every time. Hehehehehe... ;) .

I'm very glad that you are enjoying it and that it has proven its worth to you. I'd be doing the same thing if I had that amp.

:D

Am looking to break off my HT and start a stand alone system using my Oddysy's. Currently use a Anthem AVM 30 and MCA 50. What are the differences between my gear and the gear mentioned above and what do I get to move forward with this?

Bob J

Hipgrncln said:
Am looking to break off my HT and start a stand alone system using my Oddysy's. Currently use a Anthem AVM 30 and MCA 50. What are the differences between my gear and the gear mentioned above and what do I get to move forward with this?

Bob J

Well when you say, “gear mentioned above” I assume your asking is if the statement line is better then the standard Anthem line?

The standard anthem line was produced with budget minded folks in mind, they are targeted at the bang for the buck crowed. The statement line if for those people that are looking for the best that technology has to offer. The D1 is trying to best pre-amps like the Lexicon, Theta, Parasound, Halcro, ETC. all on a budget of $5000.00, what makes the D1 better then your AVM30 is the DA converters, 24 bit/ 192 KHz up sampling, and the sheer processing power this pre-amp has to offer. The Anthem Statement products do hit that point of diminishing returns, but at $5000.00 you would pay a lot more for say a Lexicon MC-12B at $12,000.00 to better the anthem by 5 to 10% more performance.

Anthem does have a upgrade coming real soon for the AVM 20/30 that will upgrade it to a AVM50 as well as an upgrade for the Statement D1 to D2. The upgrade will add 4 HDMI ports and one output with video scaling and transcoding, plus more.

If your interested in the Statement products I encourage you to check out the secretes of home theater and hi-fi’s reviews of the statement line. There review of the D1 compares the features and performance of the AVM 20 to the D1.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_2/anthem-statement-d1-ssp-6-2004-part-1.html
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/anthem-statement-p5-amplifier-12-2004.html

Hope this helps

P.S. I have a Statement D1 comming in a week, I plain on doing a review shortly after.

Joe - knows of what he speaks...

Bob J,

I totally agree with what Joe said... Joe, is once again, right on. Joe, was the wonderful person who, first turned me on, to the Anthem Statement series. Joe, has researched the Anthem series more than anyone (even myself). I really trust his advice and counsel, he definately, knows of what he speaks... :D

Joe,

You are totally awesome! As I enjoy my, P5 for yet another wonderful day, of great listening and beautiful sounds... I can never thank you enough, for all of your, help and assistance, in making my ML's truly sing. :D

Cheers

-Robin

Robin said:
Bob J,

I totally agree with what Joe said... Joe, is once again, right on. Joe, was the wonderful person who, first turned me on, to the Anthem Statement series. Joe, has researched the Anthem series more than anyone (even myself). I really trust his advice and counsel, he definately, knows of what he speaks... :D

Joe,

You are totally awesome! As I enjoy my, P5 for yet another wonderful day, of great listening and beautiful sounds... I can never thank you enough, for all of your, help and assistance, in making my ML's truly sing. :D

Cheers

-Robin
Your welcome Robin,

I tend to research a product till I feel I know it inside and out, after I have assessed it’s strengths and weaknesses I will go audition it. In this hobby if you make a mistake and purchase the wrong piece of gear it can be an expensive mistake. What I find funny is I was deciding over several pieces of gear and the Anthem P5 was top of my list. I posted a list of the gear (in no particular order) I was most interested in and you homed in right on my #1 choice in amps the P5.

That has reinsured me I have found that magic amp I have been looking for. I think it as also made me forget about the A5 and go right for the P5.

So thank you for all your help and the grate review.

The feelings are mutual...

Joe,

Firstly, I must return the sentiments, Thank you!

You know, Joe, as I have continued to listen to the sonic imaging of the P5... I find, what you said before is very, very true... What I really acquired with the P5 was five, "Monoblock Amplifier's", and that's just exactly what it is that they do..., simply, individually (but in a coordinated way) and most beautifully amplify the sound.

So..., now, because of this kind of wonderful sonic imagining of the P5, I am now seriously concidering, two "tubed" monoblocks, for my Ascent i's, on down the road..., For when I want to just listen to two channel music... :)

Cheers

-Robin

Photo's... I finially got some Photo's!!!

Hey everyone,

I finially got my digital photo's developed of the Anthem Statement P5, set up and in my System #57. Sooooo, without further adue... Here they are... :D

What do you all think?

Cheers

-Robin

Attachments

• 013_9A_0001.JPG
    013_9A_0001.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 266
  • 014_10A_0001.JPG
    014_10A_0001.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 363
  • 015_11A_0001.JPG
    015_11A_0001.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 212
Robin said:
What do you all think?
BIG DOG!

Glad your still enjoying the new toy Robin, it looks grate.

P.S.
My D1 will be here tomorrow, I can't freak ‘in wait! My system has been down for almost two weeks now. :mad:

Robin said:
Hey everyone,

I finially got my digital photo's developed of the Anthem Statement P5, set up and in my System #57. Sooooo, without further adue... Here they are... :D

What do you all think?

Cheers

-Robin

I think that as long as you and your family is happy with it, that's all that matters!! :D

A hearty CONGRATS!!

Looks so cool.... :cool:

Congratulations!!!!

Robin said:
So..., now, because of this kind of wonderful sonic imagining of the P5, I am now seriously concidering, two "tubed" monoblocks, for my Ascent i's, on down the road..., For when I want to just listen to two channel music... :)
For tube sound, you should consider the tube monoblocs for the panels and re-use the P5 modules for the bass of the Ascent i's down the road, of course. The tubes will take you to another level altogether. Your system looks (and I'm sure, sounds) great! Enjoy.

Spike

I've been going round and round with this. I really need input on what I should do. Ideally, I would get a P2 and P5. However, my funds are not limitless, so I have to cut corners. I have 2 aeonis and theateri in the front, 2 frescos for my sides, and scriptis for my rears. Also keep in mind I am looking to pick these things up used. Now and then I see them for really good prices.

Option #1 Should I be considering a P5 to run all the electrostats and an A2 to run the Frescos.
Option #2 A P2 to run the mains and an A5 to run the theateri, scripti, and frescos.

My only fear with option 2 is that I am not going to get the crisp, clear, precise dialog that I want. It is clear that I will get that with the P5, but is still questionable to me with the A5.

Rynopr,
I took a look at your system (#15) and saw that yours is a very decent system. What is it that you're trying to improve? Better question should be what is it about your system that you find lacking and need to improve? Another question needed to be addressed should be regarding your listening preferences. For example, I don't care much about the timbre imbalance/mismatch between the front panels and the rears/surround channels. I'm having a hard enough time trying to discern timbre differences between the fronts & rears already that it does not really matter to me that much what I have on the rears. Somebody else will be more picky and will insist on same speakers and amplifications for all channels but not me. You'll need to figure this out for yourself since this is directly proportional to the $$$ you need to spend in terms of sound quality.
Looking at the options, I'd go with the P2 + A5 option. The rationale being that the A5 has a very beefy power supply already, and it's going to be used to power the center & surround/rear speakers. Not that much demand on the A5 so it should be able to hold up quite well. I seriously doubt you'll compromise much with the P2 + A5 option as far as crisp clear dialog is concerned.
Another option is to supplement your system with a good quality 3-channel amp in addition to th2 B&K 3-channel amp you already have on the front channels.

Good luck with your quest.
Spike

PS. Maybe you should consider starting another thread instead of taking this thread into a whole different direction.

There is a definite need for improvement in musical detail and dialog clarity. I want the mids and highs to come alive. I don't believe any longer that I am doing my speakers justice with B&K equipment. Granted, I need a new source player. However, that would bring us in a whole new direction with our discussion. Due to the fact that I will be getting a multiregional player. It probably won't convert Pal to Ntsc. Therefore, I will be needing a scaler and the new D1 will be able to take care of that and also serve as a DAC.
I thought the thread was regarding the P5 and Anthem equipment...I didn't see a point in starting a new thread.
Maybe I'm wrong. If so, I'll take appropriate action.

rynopr said:
There is a definite need for improvement in musical detail and dialog clarity. I want the mids and highs to come alive.
Well Anthem, will defiantly give you an improvement in clarity, detail, and overall power and control. If your looking for a warm tube sound, I don’t think Anthem is what you’re looking for.

I don't believe any longer that I am doing my speakers justice with B&K equipment.
I tried B&K’s smallest amp at 125 watts, and I was less then trilled. I found the sound very digital and cold. I like their lager reference amps but for the price there are better components out there.

Granted, I need a new source player. However, that would bring us in a whole new direction with our discussion. Due to the fact that I will be getting a multiregional player. It probably won't convert Pal to Ntsc. Therefore, I will be needing a scaler and the new D1 will be able to take care of that and also serve as a DAC.
The D1 is being replaced by the D2, the D2 will have the scalier built in. You should make sure the scalar can convert pal to NTSC before you by it. The processing chip is by Gennum, and the software is custom made by Anthem.

I thought the thread was regarding the P5 and Anthem equipment...I didn't see a point in starting a new thread.
Maybe I'm wrong. If so, I'll take appropriate action.
I think he is trying to say maybe you should take look at other products out there and not limit your self just to Anthem.

Back