The Best of Times, the Worst of Times

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenscollick

Reaction score
Back in May at the local audio show I talked to John Schaffer at Wadia about upgrading my Wadia to the 721, John Said he would be gone for about a week and to give him a call when he gets back. Major cool my systen is sounding great and I am really excited about taking another step.

Head down to Wadia and drop off my 581 to get reborn. should be a couple weeks. No problem, sunshine and blue skies no real reason to sit inside and listen to recorded music right? except I am going to have a 721 excellent reason to huncer down in the evening when I dont need to run the Air.

Talked to Wadia last week and was informed that they were looking at a new laser assembly for the 7 series and decided to go with the new assembly. A couple more weeks no problem I am going to be on the cutting edge, that is definately worth waiting for.

So Friday I am surfing all of the usual sites Audiogon being one of my early stops. A a pair of Krell EVO 400 monos for sale in Michigan at Paragon about 50 miles south of me. Now I have been coveting a new Krell for while, I was thinking a nice 402 would fit nicely into my system with out too much trouble. I fought the urge Most of the day but the little guy on my shoulder kept me reaching for my phone.

next thing I know I am talking to Larry and discussing the purchase. " I dont need them right away as my Wadia is in Chelsea for an upgrade" the deal was good, Where in Michigan are you? Larry asked I have a delivery in Midland today.

The rest is history. To be continued.............................

Attachments

• IMG_1004.jpg
    IMG_1004.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 585
As they say in Star Trek " Resistance Is Futile " Congradulations and enjoy.

Cheers, Greg

Ken, congrads on your bad azz monos! I wish I could be there to give it a listen. ENJOY!

And congrats to you also George on your Monos. When I was at Wadia Their System was using your Pass monos, sounding pretty fine.

I haven't heard of the Wadia 721. Do you mean the 781ior the S7i ? I can personally vouch that the 781 is a fine machine. Especially, when plugged directly into the amp.

Martin Logan's powered by Krell mono amps are going to be very revealing of the source. I think a Wadia will be up to the challenge.

Last edited:
I go away for the weekend and look at what you do. ........... Better call Synergistic Research. You will be needing a second Power cord! :ROFL: Very cool I'm calling ASAP !

WOW.....sweet upgrades Ken ! I trust your ears will thank you !

Busy day didnt get a chance to talk to Wadia, Probably going to have to wait a bit for the second SR power cord. dusted the amps for the fifth time. they look real cool in standby mode.
most likely will be running a second 20 amp circuit also looking at possibly better wire from the service.

This is sort of like having a new girlfriend and having her go on vacation just before the third date. GRRRRRRRRRRRR.

CAP to the rescue

The Wadia is promised for Monday, Yesterday Chris brought over his Krell kps 25 Hooked it up listened to one song then went for burrito's and margaritas. Back about an hour later everything was warmed up nicely using the cast connection we sat back for some serious listening. I noticed a definate change toward detail and imaging. more of both. with so many changes it was hard to determine what component was most responsible, but it did sound great. After living with the Krell amp and Wadia for so long I was very happy with my system. But had always wanted Mono's, looking forward to setting up and tweaking.

Attachments

• IMG_1010.jpg
    IMG_1010.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 329
Very cool, Ken. Someday I'll have mono amps. The hard (fun) part will be picking which ones. Those Krells should last a very long time; they look very well built.

Bernard

I have a pair of tube traps behind each speaker they have been in my system for about 5 years hard to describe but the sound just seems a little less brash with them.

Very nice setup! Are you sure you want to plug the Wadia in there right away? Can you wait a month or 2 and jsut enjoy the amps?

Personally, I like to spread the goodies out.

I doubt the wadia will spend much time in the "on deck zone" While the krell player is a fine deck I can enjoy the amps with is just as well and hopefully better.

My origional plan was to just upgrade the cd player in and out very simple. the deal on the Krells was too good to pass on. There are necessary changes that will have to be made. Another dedicated circuit. a new stand for the Wadia and another power cord for the second Krell. All of these I expect to improve the sound.

Sweet Music

Well the Wadia has been back for a couple weeks, August has been a real busy month for me and while my listening has been extensive, time to reflect and comment has been limited. The transformation simply has to be heard.

All aspects of sound has been greatly improved:wider clearer soundstage, Deeper cleaner bass, a top end that seems to go forever [well beyond my hearing limits] pinpoint images,

now i need to get saving for power cords most likely I will get a matching Tesla hologram A as I really liked what i heard with the 400cx.

I have updated the pictures:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=382#post382

Well I can attest to the improvement to Ken's Original system of the Krell FPB350CX and the older Wadia 581 with GNS Premium mod. I am not sure about what component that did the overall best $$$ for pound of ear candy, but the new package as a whole is MUCH better. On that note. The Krell Mono blocks were tested with My KRELL kps25sc as a hold over until Ken got his Wadia 781 back with GNS MODS. The KPS25sc was damn good . Deep sound stage and great separation and detail. We both did notice it had a bit of honky upper treble with some female vocals. I think some speaker adjustment would have helped eliminate it totally, However Ken iterated he did get it with the 581 and that was one reason for the upgrade. I wanted badly to play with the speakers and the toe as well as the width. It took great will not to tweak.. As knowing the KPS25sc unit well It needs very little toe to throw a wide stage and the CLX needs little as well.. Bless you Ken for the liquid de tweaker and your patience in not letting me take over your system.

OK, Now the fun part. Ken calls me and says LETS go get her ! She is done. We race there to pick it up as fast as we could only to race directly to the YACT CLUB.:eek: For those who do not know , YOUR MISSING OUT! The food is........ well who cares... There is a beautiful view. :ROFL:

After lunch we hooked it up real quick. No way your benching Joe Montana after he comes of the IR. Ken wanted to know if the surgery was worth it. We fired it up and hit our usual demo discs. It was silky smooth with no real issues . The staging and presence was very good but it wasn't dead right. I'm not sure it was the lunch, girls or the beer I was like Smalls in "The sandlot" and could not take it any longer . I stood up and declared lets move the speakers . These Monos are in need of some space and less toe. It was to late, I was on one moving it before Ken could fight the urge to throw a beer at me. I figured it was a safe move on my part as I had a CLX for insurance he wouldn't. Well I opened the toe up and WOW.

The stage opened right up and the depth now was much better and detail was clearer. This was a HUGE improvement over any system I have ever heard in his room. (Thanks Ken for not stabbing me when I sat back down)

The monos were effortlessly pushing the CLX at full Volume on the WADIA. 95+db. Bass was tight and detailed and there was nothing I could do but listen. Ken asked what I thought and my response was ,
" I could give you all of those audio cliche terms about detail and imaging and staging, Blacker blacks and what not. But what I am hearing is what I am not hearing. It just disappears and sounds right".

Yup, I have heard many a high end system sound over stereo phonic. This sounds RIGHT . Instruments were right there and not over emphasized and vocals were where they should have been. What I heard was harmony or as Ken likes to call it Synergy. All components working together to form one great sound. YES! great it is Ken. The Monos are a big improvement along with the Wadia 781 ,It seems as they are out of the way but when you need them they are there like a good friend on a date when a wing man is needed. Thanks Ken as always for the fun you let me have at your audio man cave.
If you ever get a chance and Ken is so gracious to let you listen , do your ears a favor, your in for a great treat !

Latest posts

Back