The Balanced Force 210 really is Amazing

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert D

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Just recently got mine and managed to set up the PBK. Shawn at DaVinci media was a great seller for me.

I am very surprised at how much better this sub is than my depth I. The old depth i is going in the basement setup for the kid's!

It blends even better than the depth i, and that blends well. It truly sounds like my Prodigy speakers are putting out all that bass.i actually got scared that I somehow screwed up and had too much power flowing to their woofers and might blow them! The bass is powerful and packs a distinct punch that the depth never had.

For some reason it needs a higher input from my Marantz receiver than the depth I needed. The volume of the knob is up at 5 too, and the depth was 4. Even just at 4, the depth had some boominess to it the the bf 210 just doesn't have at all. Not even a hint. The bf 210 is just all solid bass punch.

I highly recommend upgrading to the bf 210 if you have one of the depth generation of speakers. I originally ordered the new sub because the depth I has a sporadic static sound that it produces randomly. Very infrequently, but does happen. Now I feel like buying it just as an upgrade is justification enough! I'm shocked at just how much better it is.

Funny thing, my wife and daughter asked me if I had the new subwoofer running, after it was indeed set up. It blends in that well, that you cant tell. All I did is set phase to zero and run PBK,and then ran Audyssey. The programs did all of my work. I have it set up in a corner too and never had to mess with moving it around. My choices are limited because it is in the family room that is an open floor plan.

Great to hear it is working out well for you and is a step up from the prior model.

ARC is a big part of the improvement, so owners really should run that first, then whatever DRC is in their processors. It sounds like your results from that are great.

BTW- Gain variances between models from the same vendor are not uncommon. And in general, the numeric values of the 'volume' control mean very little. It's mostly so you can return to a prior setting easily, or if using two, set them the same at the outset.

Great to hear it is working out well for you and is a step up from the prior model.

ARC is a big part of the improvement, so owners really should run that first, then whatever DRC is in their processors. It sounds like your results from that are great.

BTW- Gain variances between models from the same vendor are not uncommon. And in general, the numeric values of the 'volume' control mean very little. It's mostly so you can return to a prior setting easily, or if using two, set them the same at the outset.
Yeah, I'm not too concerned about gain being set up higher. I was reminded again about the humor at ML when I saw that the dial goes up to 11! I guess all their subs do that? I forgot the depth i had that.

Robert, I must say I have mentioned on this site how much better newer subs are than old ones. They have come a long way. I'm so glad you are happy with your purchase. While I'm on the topic and it doesn't apply to you, but the same applies to speakers. That is why I always mention to people who want to rebuild 20 year old speakers or older!, to just buy new. Even if you downsize some, the new speakers will usually far outperform old dinosaurs. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back