Test your large screen with this youtube video...(from Boats vs Haulover)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhd1953

Reaction score
Impressive video of boats exiting the Haulover inlet (Miami) on a rough day. Watch people getting some serious bruises.
I don't boat but the boats and wave videos are larger than life on the big screen. Other videos show larger boats burying the bow in a wave. Haulover is a shallow inlet with an out flowing current, an opposing wind produces 3-5' waves, rougher than you'd think.

You can check this out at "Boats vs Haulover" The Biggest Regret At Haulover...

Note to self, never get in boat, if you do...don't ride in the bow.

Hmm, wonder how much gas they use?

I used to own own a 50'er with a flybridge, full galley, state room, bath, living area, front rear decks and bunk beds and tournament ski boat for waterskiing and use as a runabout to the mothership.

I have friends with more than one dive boat in different harbors and I don't see the sense in going out when the waves are like that. But that's me. I've never had a taste for scarabs or riding in them with people who like to go airborne.

Hmm, wonder how much gas they use?

A few years ago, I was walking past our local marina and I saw a nice boat for sale. Nothing big or extravagant - just a nice, average cruiser that I could take the family out on for a day on the water, so I decided to go and take a look.

The salesman was telling me how awesome it was (of course), and one reason was how efficient it was. He said the previous owner just drove up from Sydney (about 900km) and "it got here on only one tank of fuel".

Oh well, that meant nothing to me, so I just smiled.

On my way out, I checked the spec sheet............fuel capacity = 100,000 litres!

Wow - even someone gave me the damn boat, I couldn't affort to start the thing up, let alone take it out for a day.

But it's nice to know how some people live.

On my way out, I checked the spec sheet............fuel capacity = 100,000 litres!

Something doesn't add up. A "nice average cruiser" doesn't have that tank capacity. Modern boats with that tank size should have a range of between 3,000 and 6,000 nautical miles depending on the design and efficiency. These are boats at a size where you typically staff a crew to run the boat and don't take it out by yourself. There should be room for a family, a number of guests and crew quarters.

Something doesn't add up. A "nice average cruiser" doesn't have that tank capacity. Modern boats with that tank size should have a range of between 3,000 and 6,000 nautical miles depending on the design and efficiency. These are boats at a size where you typically staff a crew to run the boat and don't take it out by yourself. There should be room for a family, a number of guests and crew quarters.

"Nice average cruiser" was a figure of speech...............I was being facetious - I was just trying to make the point that this was not the most extravagant boat out there. To a non-boatie, it looked pretty reasonable (but yes, it was anything but. Yeah, you would have needed a crew to run it).

Sorry if the nuance / subtlety was lost in the written text. :)

Last edited:
I used to own own a 50'er with a flybridge, full galley, state room, bath, living area, front rear decks and bunk beds and tournament ski boat for waterskiing and use as a runabout to the mothership.

I have friends with more than one dive boat in different harbors and I don't see the sense in going out when the waves are like that. But that's me. I've never had a taste for scarabs or riding in them with people who like to go airborne.
When we were in Italy on vacation we saw a lot of very nice yachts. What a lifestyle to sail the Mediterranean! Where did you sail your boat?

When we were in Italy on vacation we saw a lot of very nice yachts. What a lifestyle to sail the Mediterranean! Where did you sail your boat?

I was land locked. On a typical weekend I would head out to a narrow cove rope off to the shore on each side and take it over as a play area for the family and guests and use the ski boat for waterskiing one of the nearby slalom courses and shuttle people to and from the local marinas.

I was land locked. On a typical weekend I would head out to a narrow cove rope off to the shore on each side and take it over as a play area for the family and guests and use the ski boat for waterskiing one of the nearby slalom courses and shuttle people to and from the local marinas.
Sounds like a blast!

Sounds like a blast!

It was. The kids loved their bunk beds and the big inflatable volcano that we would anchor off the bow. I had a large air compressor in back with the engines and generator and had a pile of inflatable toys, like the tube and rafts etc.. that we would deflate and throw in the state room between weekends. People would jump off the top of the boat or off the bow step. We sometimes had a pretty large group of our kids friends and their parents out there. Definitely some good times.

That said, I'm pretty well done with that scene. I have no interest in getting another boat of any kind at this point.

It was. The kids loved their bunk beds and the big inflatable volcano that we would anchor off the bow. I had a large air compressor in back with the engines and generator and had a pile of inflatable toys, like the tube and rafts etc.. that we would deflate and throw in the state room between weekends. People would jump off the top of the boat or off the bow step. We sometimes had a pretty large group of our kids friends and their parents out there. Definitely some good times.

That said, I'm pretty well done with that scene. I have no interest in getting another boat of any kind at this point.
Too much maintenance and trouble? If I were an owner I'd probably have to hire out help on most repairs and even maintenance probably.

Too much maintenance and trouble? If I were an owner I'd probably have to hire out help on most repairs and even maintenance probably.

I'd love a boat - but as my friend says "Nothing but a tub into which I throw all my time and money".

I'd love a boat - but as my friend says "Nothing but a tub into which I throw all my time and money".

A large boat can be expensive and have many continuing costs. I felt like I was always buying something for it. One year I had it hauled out for major work that came to about $24,000. That meant a semi had to trailer it and get permission for an oversized wide load, etc... etc.. Keep in mind I'm a pretty handy guy and I did a lot of work on it myself.

A tournament ski boat is much easier to deal with. They are simple direct drive boats with V8 truck engines. My last ski boat had a heater, hot water shower, oversized bimini, and a Ford 351 with GT-40 heads. It also had a Perfect Pass speed control with magnetic timing. It would adjust the throttle 200 times per second to maintain speed in the slalom course. With gear reduction that boat had over 400ft/lbs of torque at the prop and the engine is 310Hp. It could pop a skier right up and was easy to drive record tolerance passes on the slalom course. My first ski boat also had a 351, but it was older, lighter, didn't hold as well in the course and had glass packs which made it very loud at idle. I owned two ski boats. The 1st I purchased used and the 2nd I had custom built for me.

I trailered my ski boat because I waterskied on 3 different lakes. I was in a 3 ski boat rotation with a couple friends who were also slalom course addicts like I was. So I skied 3 times as many hours as I put on my boat.

In those days I felt compelled to get out every weekend I could during the summer. The first year we had two boats we stayed out on the lake for 12 weekends and each year after that the number of weeks dropped. It also meant that as soon as we got home from work on Friday, We had to pack up the pickup and ski boat with clothes, towels, and food. Drive to the marina, launch the ski boat, drive to the big boat, unload the ski boat, launch the big boat, then hook the ski boat behind it and drive across the lake to our cove. By the time we were tied up in the cove it was dark and we are tired and crashed hard. We had all day Saturday to enjoy it. Then Sunday after lunch we had to tear everything down, drive the big boat back to the dock, unload all the towels clothes and trash, trailer the boat and drive it home, park the boat and unhook it.

In the Ewwww category...

And every once in a while it was time to pump out the black water tanks. My boat had 80 gallons of black water capacity, 80 gallons of fresh, grey water went into the lake and the macerator toilet used lake water to flush with before emptying into the black water tanks.

The grossest thing was getting there and finding out that the refrigerator had quit. It was well stocked with meat and it had been in the 90's all week.

In case you are curious I owned a used Stardust Cruiser. Our Boats – Trifecta Houseboats
But it's not a cruiser, it's a houseboat.

Latest posts

Back