tar build up

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel

Reaction score
hi! first post!

Just received an e-mail from M-L. They said that what's the most armfull to M-L speaker is tar build up from cigarette smoke. Have you ever tried carpet cleaner (those in spray foam) to clean it ( like if you bought it used). I know this work great to remove tar from car. Could it be hazardous with M-L speaker?

P.s. i just stop smoking less than 2 weeks ago. Some people think about there health...i'm wan'T M-L speakers. So i'm thinking about there health!!!

i must be a real sick audiophile!

Daniel :D

What Won't We Do For This Hobby?

daniel said:
hi! first post!

Just received an e-mail from M-L. They said that what's the most armfull to M-L speaker is tar build up from cigarette smoke. Have you ever tried carpet cleaner (those in spray foam) to clean it ( like if you bought it used). I know this work great to remove tar from car. Could it be hazardous with M-L speaker?

P.s. i just stop smoking less than 2 weeks ago. Some people think about there health...i'm wan'T M-L speakers. So i'm thinking about there health!!!

i must be a real sick audiophile!

Daniel :D

Glad you quit, a deadly habit for sure. But quittin' for your speakers<font color= red> IS</font> really twisted.

Good Luck

Does not matter a whit why you quit, so long as you did quit. This will add years to your life. Congratulations. :)

Welcome aboard and congrats on kicking the habbit :)

Be it for your health or the ML's health :D

The most we have done is to rinse the panels with water after separating the stators from the rest of the speaker.

WARNING...don't use any carpet cleaner!!!!

Hola Daniel. Don't use any carpet cleaner to remove the tar in the panels. There is a very delicated coat and an adhesive in the panel's membrane and you could wash it away. This coat is what makes the speaker's membrane to move and produce the sound. Don't use any chemical to wash it!!! not even glass cleaner. Just use running water. If you want to wash them, follow the instructions at the tweak forum.
Now you will notice for good what you where missing when you did smoke. Your ears will be much better now!...and all of your senses will be more alert!
Happy listening,
Roberto.

Back