System #98 (Vista)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like your going to have a nice 5.1 setup or is it going to be a 5.2? Do you still have the Dynamo sub or did I miss reading where you got rid of it?

That Sunfire Super Jr is an incredible little sub! The tight, deep bass that the Jr can produce is amazing. Perfect for the size of your listening space.

Enjoy!

Dan

Wink..
Thanks, I am so pleased that I am done fo now.

no, never had a Dynamo sub.. it was on my list of sub considerations but after researching what I could on small subs, the Sunfire came out on top.

Just waiting on delivery of the Vignette. Hooked up one of the B&W M-1's as a centre channel and after a bit of tweaking, I think I could have gone for 3 M-1's (and been perfectly satisfied) for less than the price of one Vignette. Buit in the end, I'm sure I'll appreciate the Vignette more.

I hit the 2-CHAN button on the remote for fabulous 2 channel listening and then go to one of the surround modes for movies & TV. For me, it's the best of both worlds with my 'little' system.

Final Update.. for now..

Finally got the Vignette in a couple of weeks ago so here are some pictures of the final configuration as it stands for now.. ..note the latest issue of HiFi+ on the coffee table with a favourable review of the Vista's.. oh no..help!
- the Sunfire sub is about 3 feet to the right of the right speaker
- the B&W M-1's are on top of bookcases, one on each side of the couch
Now it's just sit back and listen & enjoy..

Attachments

• mvAVsm-Sys-20070301[01]-Main1.jpg
    mvAVsm-Sys-20070301[01]-Main1.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 436
  • mvAVsm-Sys-20070301[03]-SW.jpg
    mvAVsm-Sys-20070301[03]-SW.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 434
  • mvAVsm-Sys-20070301[04]-Rear.jpg
    mvAVsm-Sys-20070301[04]-Rear.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 442
Mickey,

Really dig your system! A work in progress as it was has now reached a more resolute conclusion! It looks great and I'm sure the sound is room filling and awesome. And I bet you get really good and realistic reproductions when you listen to the Claritys in pure 2ch stereo mode.

Do you listen to music a lot or do you consider yourself mainly an HT guy?

Joey

Hi Joey,
Thanks.. I'm really about 50/50 two channel and video. I love good two channel but am exploring surround a little (ok, a lot) more.

Since I've gone 5.1, I've been listening to 5.1 surround version of Simple Minds Once Upon a Time & New Gold Dream; Beatles Love, Dire Straits.. Love the 5.1 surround mixes. I'm now fully cabled for 5.1 DVD-A and SACD and I think I will explore this realm a lot more.

I've spent the last week going through my music videos.. Eagles Hell Freezes Over & Australia.. U2, Diana Krall, Dennis DeYoung, Phantom of the Opera (music vide/movie??)

I love this little system but am painfully aware of it's limitations. It's something I'll have to live with over the next few years (oh, woe is me, really, just kidding) but for now, I'm having quite a blast with it.

AntiCables

Well, I've had a few days with the AntiCables now and I must say I'm truly impressed. Previous to this, I was using Nordost Solar Winds. My cat likes chewing on cables and had taken a bite (a coupe of small holes) in the Nordost before I wrapped them in insulation.

Based on some web research, I thought I'd give them a try. Even if they were as good as the Nordost, I figured I was ahead with them being cat proof. To tell the truth, I'm now way ahead. I was originally skeptical of the claims but not anymore.

I love my system for HT but found it lacking for 2 channel. There was something missing. Here are the immediate benefits I found in 2 channel mode:

- I found that with extended listening, my ears were fatigued. Although the sound was amazing, crisp, clear and detailed, I now know that the fatigue was due to some harshness in the mid and upper frequencies. So it was a little bright. That has now disappeared.

- I have read with great interest about soundstage, depth and the ability to precicely place instruments and always wondered why my system was not all that focused. That too has changed. I have listened to Moodfood by Moodswings about a thousand times. After the cables were installed, I put on the CD and was enveloped in three dimensional music. I had to do a double take to validate that I was in 2 chan mode and that my surrounds were off. It blew me away. I could place instrumentation and the soundstage became wide and deep. there is now true dimensionality to the sound.

- I was never pleased with the bass response from the Clarity's bit it grew on me over time. Adding the sub was a definite improvement. Now I find that the bass is tighter and more musical. There is still some boominess but it is much better.

For the first few days, I thought that the cables were a slight, nice improvement. So far, so good. Now, as I listen to more and more of my favorite music, I am re-discovering it again. I am hearing depth and dimensionality that I never heard before. And some, like Dire Straits, Steely Dan, Enigma, are not only old friends, but new jewels. I picked up the remasters of Aja and Love Over Gold a couple of weeks ago. I cant stop listening to music and as soon as I get home from work, I put on another old favorite and re-discover it all over again.

I have found that one 'silver bullet' that pulled the system together and brought true joy back to 2 channel listening.

Back to the music..

Anticables eh?

What's the whole premise of that line and why is it called anticables? No insulation or something?

Joey

Yep, Joey, you've got it right. Anticables are insulated with a thin coat of enamel, so their premise is that they don't have any sort of dielectric interaction with their insultion. They look thin (compared to conventional cables) but actually, they use relatively thick wire for their speaker cables...

I don't own them, but I've heard good things abou them. And they are priced pretty reasonably too, so that's a big plus.

I have Nordost Solar Winds, and I love them. I also have cats, but they are not of the "cable chewing" variety. Frankly, it's probably a good thing. With Carver amps, our kitties probably wouldn't survive a chomp on the cables if they bit through both sides at once... :eek:

--Richard

Hey Joey,
here's the premise behine AntiCables.. http://www.anticables.com/technical.html
Anti because they go against the grain in cable design and pricing. For 2x7 foot lengths plus a 4 foot length for the center const me about US$130. The Solar Winds cost me $700 Canadian. The are quite a bargain given the sound differences.

Minor Changes..

There have been a couple of minor changes..

First, just got the Wii and am now golfing in front of my AV system.. lots of fun..

Second.. there was a problem with my Marantz DV-7600 multi-channel outputs. I have built a pretty good relationship with my dealer and when he spoke to Marantz, I was offered a repair (duh, under warranty) or hang in there until the DV-7001 arrived and they would replace it (no brainer here).

I've had the DV-7001 for a couple of weeks now and it is a fine piece. Overall, I'd say its about a 10% improvement over the 7600 for video and for audio, it's at least equal to or a little better; hard to tell.

I'm really enjoying multi-channel sound (SACD & DVD-A). For those DVD-A discs with DTS, I really don't hear any difference between DTS-96 or running it through my multi-channel analog inputs. The nice thing now is that I now have full 5.1 for SACD.

So, now, I can pretty much play any type of disc in my system (excent BluRay & HD-DVD but with upscaling, I seen no need yet). Spending lots of time enjoying 2 channel and mult-chanel audio along with the movies.

Rega Apollo

I've been doing some auditioning over the past few weeks and yesterday found a new store. Angie, the owner, took the time to listen to my concerns, ask about my system down to cables, power, room, etc.

I went in wanting to hear higher end Logans and after a great discussion regarding my 2 channel concerns, we both came to the conclusion that the money would be best spent in looking at source components.

I have been reading about the Rega Apollo and even though it has had great reviews, I thought that I was doing quite well with my Marantz universal player. So, I auditioned the Apollo (she had Clarity's on the floor and ran through a NAD receiver, mimicking my system as closely as possible) I listended to the new Moon CD-1, a Cabridge Audio unit which was much more expensive and finally the Apollo.

The Apollo seemed the most natural sounding of them all, I was quite engage in the music and finally thought that this is how 2 channel should sound in my system.

So, after some deliberation, I said 'Lets do it'. Well, its now on order and I am anxiously awaiting delivery. This may be my answer to my two channel woes. it's wait and see.. hopefully it will be as impressive in my home as it was in the shop..

Another nice little addition last week was a Harmony 1000 remote which I picked up with my Aeroplan rewards..

Rega Apollo

I picked up the Apollo yesterday and after about 10 hours of listening, and wanting to go through my entire CD collection again, I am quite pleased.

Initial impressions:
- Very smooth and detailed. I'm hearing detail that I have never heard before. I couldn't get enough. I had CD lined up for the rest of the day and heard something new in most of them. Simply amazing. Imaging is about the same as the Marantz which I was already pleased with.
- Wow! Didn't know my Clarity's could do that. Bass extension is phenomenal. I was listening in bypass mode and had to double check that my sub woofer was off. Even after 3 years, I have never heard such tight, clean, fast and responsive bass as I have in the last two days.
- Did I say smooth an musical? I never grew fatigued listening to the Rega. Usually, after a couple of hours, I had to stop listening. I probably listed for 8 hours yesterday and four more today.

I have been seeking a way to get great 2 channel out of my system and the Apollo does the trick. I found that after about 4 hours, all of the great attributes I heard in the first few hours got even better.

I'm in audio nirvana again.

Congratulations on a fine CD player! :bowdown: I have the same one and experienced much of what you described. Eventhough I spend most of my time now listening to LP, I do enjoy the Apollo immensely. Happy listening and don't forget to get up and stretch now and then.:D

Glen

Thanks Glen.. looking forward to a long and enjoyable relationship with the Rega. Took a look at your system.. some might fine equipment.. love the Mc!

Thanks Joey.. got to hold off on the upgrades for a while and just sit back and enjoy. My partner has been great over the last 18 months but when I brought the Rega home, it's the closest I have seen her to getting angry at me. I've been told :eek:

A couple of new additions..

Well.. broke the bank and updated the HT side..
Got an amazing deal on a Sharp 46" Special Edition (D94 series) and added a PS3..

As you can probably guess, BluRay is stunning on a 1080P TV and what surprised me even more is that the PS3 upscales regular DVD better than my beloved Marantz. If it wasn't for the SACD & DVD-A features of the Marantz, it would probably go. It's now relagated to audio only.
Not sure of the next steps.. bye bye Rega & Marantz and go for a dedicated CD/SACD player.. The madness continues..

Version 1.1

I'm calling this version 1.1 of my system as it is more of a technology refresh than anything else. In an attempt to improve the 2 channel side, I have gone with an external DAC and amplification. The newest piece is the Oppo and if I had known how good it was, I probably would have gone a different direction with the electronics.
Anyway, I'm pleased with the outcome, both sonically and visually. Overall, improved depth, imaging and detail. The final touch (for 1.1) next year will be a pair of Vista's.

Here are the changes:
  • AVR - refresh to the Rotel 1560. The class D amp is actually smoother losing a lot of the mid-band harshness I previously experienced. Also reduced the number of cables by 2/3. [Parasound zBreeze fan for cooling the AVR with the cabinet closed off]
  • Amp - New Aug2009 - Rotel 1572 250wpc in 8 ohms & 500 into 4 Class D - great dynamics & detail - very open & effortlessly drives the Clarity's
  • SubWoofer - refresh to the Martin Logan Grotto i.
  • Universal Player - Oppo BDP-83
  • DAC - PS Audio Digital Link III - for USB & wireless iTunes & Oppo

Attachments

• mvAvSys-iPhone[02].jpg
    mvAvSys-iPhone[02].jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 200
  • mvAvSys-iPhone[01].jpg
    mvAvSys-iPhone[01].jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Vista Upgrade

One of my Clarity's suddenly lost signal to the panel so after a few days of deliberation and a go ahead from the fiancee (awesome woman), I decided to purchase the Vista's. (still working the Clarity repair and will eventually sell them)

Here's a picture of the system in our new place. Space is tight and I know that I will not get the full potential from them. On the other hand, after a couple of days of break-in, they're a nice upgrade.

Most of my listening is now through a MacBook Air (iTunes Apple Lossless) into the DAC.. bypass, no sub.. I think I'm getting closer to that elusive 2 channel sound that I've been looking for.. really loving it.

Attachments

• mvAVSys1-mlc.jpg
    mvAVSys1-mlc.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Back