System #96 (Summit)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Reaction score
1. Craig
2. Tampa, Florida
3. Summits
4. 2006
5. Harmonic Technology AC-11 power cords on the Summits
6. Electrocompaniet EMC1 UP SE CD player, 4.7 SE Preamp, AW-220 Mono Amps, Slimdevices.com Squeezebox 3, Chang Lightspeed 6400MkII Power Conditioner, Audience Speaker Cables, Harmonic Technology Magic Link One XLR Interconnects.

Over the last 3 years my system has evolved into this. I started with Ascents then moved those to the HT system, traded in a pair of Aeons for Odysseys then those for Sonus Faber Cremonas which were recently traded for the Summits. I plan to stay with the Summits for the long haul.

The Electrocompaniet system is very nice with a warm and smooth enveloping sound for SS. However, I made the mistake of auditioning tubes with my Summits and to make the story short, I just ordered an Art Audio Jota Extended Power 300BLXS tube amp for the Summits. Yes, I'm going with SET Tube power for the Summits. Actually, a borrowed 15 watt Cary CAD 300SEI integrated tube amp followed by a 16 watt Art Audio Carissa convinced me that a Class "A" SET tube amp is the direction I wanted to go with these speakers. Note: I'm into Vinyl but that setup is temporarily on hold.

The Slimdevices SB3 is an incredible highly versatile source component for just $300. I won't get into all the details of what it can do and how well it sounds on this post but I highly recommend it if you want to get into the high-res music server/internet radio thing. That's the box sitting on the plant to the right. It talks to the computer and is remotely controlled. The sound quality is all in the execution. A DAC or volume controlled CD player with digital input specifically for the SB3 is in the upgrade plan.

Attachments

• Summit Electrocompaniet SB3.JPG
    Summit Electrocompaniet SB3.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 4,453
Last edited:
A couple more pics.

Attachments

• Summit Electrocompaniet SB3 angle.JPG
    Summit Electrocompaniet SB3 angle.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 3,650
  • Electrocompaniet SB3.JPG
    Electrocompaniet SB3.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 3,542
Damn Craig,

You got a jungle growing in your living room :D , and what looks like leopard print sofa in the corner.

Nice setup.

I'm using the leopard as a low budget bass trap. My wife is still wondering were the pillows went.

Craig said:
I'm using the leopard as a low budget bass trap. My wife is still wondering were the pillows went.

I just noticed that! LOL!!

Too much Craig... toooo much!

:D

*rolling on floor*

System change#5349u. I been playing around with tubes lately and liked what I heard on a consistent basis. As a result, I recently acquired an Art Audio Jota 300BXLS amplifier. It works well with Summits and replaced a pair of Electrocompaniet AW220 Mono Blocks. The AW220 are great solid state amps but they just don't do the magic like a great tube amp can. Although, they are as close as I've heard for solid state.

The Jota is a high-current 24 watt amp. I always thought it took much more power to drive Logans but I've learned that looking at amp wattage specs alone tells you very little about how well it will control/drive a speaker. In fact, most specs don't reveal much at all about how well you will enjoy the sound. I also learned that an amp has a lot to do with overall sound output and that most amps have very distinct differences, characteristics and sound qualities.

MLs are very revealing and therefore allow you to hear more of a difference between the components in a system. I'm very happy with this setup and lets see how long it stays this way. Maybe a tube preamp next?

Attachments

• Art Audio Jota 300BXLS 002b.JPG
    Art Audio Jota 300BXLS 002b.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 4,117
Last edited:
Your stuff amazes me Craig! Congrats on the new tubes!

Wish I could come by and hear it. Btw, YOU are the fanboy.... ;) .

Craig, what other if any amps similar to the Jota did you consider before deciding on the Art Audio?

Squeezebox SB3 with foilage enhancement!

Craig said:
The Slimdevices SB3 is an incredible highly versatile source component for just $300. I won't get into all the details of what it can do and how well it sounds on this post but I highly recommend it if you want to get into the high-res music server/internet radio thing. That's the box sitting on the plant to the right. It talks to the computer and is remotely controlled. The sound quality is all in the execution. A DAC or volume controlled CD player with digital input specifically for the SB3 is in the upgrade plan.

No doubt the plant's foilage adds a certain esoteric enhancement to the overall sound of your impressive system :)

Has your wife tried watering the speakers or the amps yet???

:D

Excellent Two Channel (Soon to be) Tubed Summit System...

Craig,

You've got a beautiful Summit system there, Wow!
You say you have your Ascent i's in a separate HT system, is that correct? If so can you tell me (us) more about your other HT system? Any photo's of your HT system as well?

Your two channel Summit system is really beautiful... ;)

I've made a few changes to the system, furniture and room acoustics since I lasted posted our system so here is an updated photo. The system uses a Wadia 581i going direct into the 220w mono amps and is about as simple as you can get without using an integrated amp.

I've added a pair of ASC bass traps in the corners behind the speakers and made acoustic panels, one behind each speaker and 2 large 2' X 6' foot tall panels on the right wall to reduce the offset effect of being much closer to the that wall than the left wall.

These panels were made by attaching two 2' X 3' canvas picture frames at each end to make one large panel frame. We covered them in black faux suede and then used these to display handmade silks I brought back from Thailand. The idea was to try and make them look more like room decor and much less like a recording studio.

I have two foam dispersion panels hidden behind the woven window shade. You can see the square outline of these when the light shines in the window but they're not visible at night or with the curtains drawn.

I also have a couple of GIK 244 traps we recovered in the black faux suede and will be draping Thai silk over those.

Toe in of the speaker is slight using the Jim Powers method. I like to toe it in just enough to focus the imaging and no more. By doing it this way I maintain more soundstage and depth.

The audio rack is also DIY and was made with the help of an expert carpenter friend. The legs are oil rubbed teakwood and the horizontal braces are clearcoated lacewood. The shelves are custom cut granite resting on MDF board. For spiked feet I used a set of the heavy duty ML spiked feet I won at the "'07 Martin Logan Get Together". I love this rack.

Vinyl would be a nice addition but that requires a whole set of additional components to add to the system including a preamp.

The systems sounds great but I'm always trying new things. I may update this post next week when it changes again if not tomorrow.

Attachments

• Summit Room.jpg
    Summit Room.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 2,870
Last edited:
Craig, those room treatments look absolutely stunning to me. Did you do anything on the backside of the frames (stuff it with foam of fiberglass insulation or anything similar). I'd really like to see a close up. I'd also like to see a close up of the rack, it looks beautiful too!

What made you go back to the Electrocompaniet's in favor of the Art Audio?

Great looking setup!

Craig,

You guys might just win the WAF award for best integration of a great hi fi system into the living room. Looks as good as I know it sounds.

If we had a WAF award, I think you'd take it home, Craig. Absolutely fantastic integration of the treatments with your room.

I bow to your prowess, good sir!

:bowdown:

Craig,
That looks fantastic and extremely functional at controlling the acoustics. I think with everyone in the Tampa bay area redoing there setup we should do another Tampa Bay Circuit.

Last edited:
Craig, those room treatments look absolutely stunning to me. Did you do anything on the backside of the frames (stuff it with foam of fiberglass insulation or anything similar). I'd really like to see a close up. I'd also like to see a close up of the rack, it looks beautiful too!

What made you go back to the Electrocompaniet's in favor of the Art Audio?

Great looking setup!

Here's a close up of the rack. I'm currently working on it's twin 3 shelf rack. After waiting two weeks the granite shelves are now ready and may be able to finish it tomorrow. The second will be good for an analog setup.

Thanks for the compliments. Getting her input on the design choices seems to help with the WAF ratings.

Attachments

• Lacewood Teak Audio Rack.jpg
    Lacewood Teak Audio Rack.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 565
Last edited:
Another view.

Attachments

• Audio rack 2.jpg
    Audio rack 2.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 562
Side view with a better look at the granite shelves. They sit on a slab of mdf board for support. The only thing holding the shelves are corner brackets and this is so heavy from the granite that I have to remove the shelves in order to move the rack.

Attachments

• side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 562
Back