System #95 (ReQuest originally, then CLS IIz , now YG Acoustic Carmel's)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And here's a shot of the DV-50S in action a few minutes ago...

Attachments

• Esoteric_small.jpg
    Esoteric_small.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,255
As always Tim, your system brings warm feelings to me... just so cozy. Dont know why, maybe it's because your equipment is top notch or maybe your "near-field" listening reminds me of my setup.

Not to mention those blue lights you have hooked up behind the ReQuests that mimic the ones on the Summits.

:)

Joey_V said:
As always Tim, your system brings warm feelings to me... just so cozy. Dont know why, maybe it's because your equipment is top notch or maybe your "near-field" listening reminds me of my setup.

Not to mention those blue lights you have hooked up behind the ReQuests that mimic the ones on the Summits.

:)
Thanks for the comments Joey, always nice to know what other members think of ones system.

The "blue" lights behind my stat panels are actually some LED candles that I picked up at Home Depot around Christmas time last year. They cycle through every color of the rainbow. We had them on the mantle for Christmas and I thought they would look cool behind the speakers when it came time to pack the decorations away. When I'm listening at night they are the only lights on in the room. They look pretty cool.

Last edited:
Turnaround is fair play !!

Alright my Rocky Mountian friend, I double checked your pics as well and I see no evidence of your BDR, so............ I'll show mine if you show yours !!!

That's BDR folks, not .....BVD's !!!

Last edited:
Alright my Rocky Mountian friend, I double checked your pics as well and I see no evidence of your BDR, so............ I'll show mine if you show yours !!!

That's BDR folks, not .....BVD's !!!

Alright Dave, you caught me... I've added a couple of Analog upgrades over the past few months. The Black Diamond Racing VPI Clamp was a great improvement as Dave mentioned in bass extension and resolution, at the same time lowering the overall noise floor allowing me to hear deeper into the recording overall. I got mine directly from Mr. DJ Casser, principal of Black Diamond Racing, at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. Truely a class guy and wonderful to do business with. A few months before that I also added the very nice Mystic Mat which had similar effect as far as the noise floor,and seemed to extend the soundstage in all directions. Finally, this week I picked up the Onzow Zerodust stylus cleaner which is essentially a very soft elastomer contained in a little green box. You simply lower the stylus into the soft (almost gel-like) plastic and then raise it up leaving all sorts of "stylus jam" behind. Very effective and couldn't be easier to use. I now clean my stylus between each side of an LP.

Overall - a nice set of effective analog upgrades. :D

Next up, possibly the Black Diamond Aries kit under the plinth spikes and motor, and the VPI Synchronus Drive System for the motor. It never ends!

Attachments

• BDR&Mystic.jpg
    BDR&Mystic.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,203
  • Zerodust.jpg
    Zerodust.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,238
Last edited:
:eek: 800 watts :eek:

Nice turntable and element

Fantastic system :bowdown:

:eek: 800 watts :eek:

Nice turntable and element

Fantastic system :bowdown:

Thanks Huey, I think it makes great music. I am soon to begin building a dedicated room for it that will allow it to breathe a bit more.

What do you mean when you say "element"? Do you mean the phono cartridge? I have given some thought to listening to the Lyra Skala sometime soon, I miss some of the "air" that a great moving coil brings to the music.;)

Hi Tim. I am still trying to see the systems of those who went to Lawrence and yours is fine, fine, fine! After hearing the Acoustic Sounds system I am thinking of upgrading my analog rig. Probably a VPI since my HW 19 has been such a good table over all these many years and I already have an SDS. I am seriously considering an Aries just like yours vs a TNT Jr. I want to use my current Graham 2.2 tonearm and Koetsu cartridge. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tim. I am still trying to see the systems of those who went to Lawrence and yours is fine, fine, fine! After hearing the Acoustic Sounds system I am thinking of upgrading my analog rig. Probably a VPI since my HW 19 has been such a good table over all these many years and I already have an SDS. I am seriously considering an Aries just like yours vs a TNT Jr. I want to use my current Graham 2.2 tonearm and Koetsu cartridge. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the complement Tony. Considering your system that's high praise! :D

You know that I'm a huge VPI fan, so it may not be fair to ask me that question. I will say that I have had absolutely no issues with my Aries - it's built like a tank, always makes great music and looks like a million bucks (although Dave's Aries 3 is even more stylish).

The thing about a VPI table that I really like is the ability to upgrade as your budget and tastes dictate. You've already got the SDS, so that will work great for you (although it will work well with any good AC motor based TT). But let's say you get an older Aries like mine for a good price, you can always come back and add the new Mini HRX feet to it, or the HRX platter and bearing, or the Ring Clamp, or maybe the outboard flywheel. Lot's of possible paths for upgrades.

One thing I will say about anyone looking for a used VPI. Make sure that the seller has the original packaging if you need to have it shipped any distance. VPI takes great care in the way the table, arm, motor and platter are all packaged seperately to insure there will be no damage. NEVER ship a newer VPI table with the platter mounted to the spindle. The platters weigh 20-40 lbs depending on the model and can damage the bearing if transported in place. I never even move mine without first taking the platter off the spindle.

I don't think you would be disappointed in the sound though!

More Analog!

I've made a slight change to the system with the addition of another analog source - a cherry vintage Marantz Model 125 Tuner! I had to make room for it, so I've removed my old Anthem CD-1 from the system and will be offering it up for sale soon. I haven't really used it since I introduced the mighty Esoteric DV-50S to the system anyway.

A few updated system shots follow...

Attachments

• Sysupdate0208.jpg
    Sysupdate0208.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 988
  • SysElectronicsUpdate0208-2.jpg
    SysElectronicsUpdate0208-2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,250
Last edited:
The new toy

It's amazing how good a nice tuner can sound when it's got a decent antenna attached. Beautiful, warm, analog sound. I love the "Gyro-Touch Flywheel" tuning on the old Marantz gear. No Sirius or XM like Gordon Gray's stunning Magnum, but it does provide me with a boatload of free Jazz and Classical music from my two favorite local stations. Most of the local Progressive Rock stations are ca-ca; but that's not the tuners fault.

:p I think she's a beaut!

Next up for me are some room treatments, especially after seeing what Jon Fo and Craig have been doing in this arena lately.

Attachments

• NewTuner.jpg
    NewTuner.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 644
Last edited:
That tuner is gorgeous! I know you are enjoying it. I would jump on one of those in a heartbeat if we had any decent stations within broadcast range. Unfortunately, that is not now and never has been the case.

........ I love the "Gyro-Touch Flywheel" tuning on the old Marantz gear............
I bought one too for the same reason, and for the blue lights and meters. And yes, it does sound great - all for about $120, if I recall correctly !!!

I bought one too for the same reason, and for the blue lights and meters. And yes, it does sound great - all for about $120, if I recall correctly !!!

I paid a bit more than that (double actually), but mine has adjustable gain and muting, as well as seperate meters for tuning and signal strength. I think yours is a Model 112 and mine is a Model 125. Same basic look though.

I have to be honest with you Bernard, I had been thinking about a newer Magnum Dynalab, but when I saw your system posted and you were talking about the Marantz tuners there it got me thinking that I wanted to check them out. I have you to thank for this addition!

Attachments

• NewTuner2.jpg
    NewTuner2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 619
I have to be honest with you Bernard, I had been thinking about a newer Magnum Dynalab, but when I saw your system posted and you were talking about the Marantz tuners there it got me thinking that I wanted to check them out. I have you to thank for this addition!
Glad to be of help. The money you saved not buying the MD went towards buying more music, I hope.

Another Analog Upgrade!

Just this week I was able to add an additional upgrade to the Analog front end via the introduction of the VPI SDS (Syncronous Drive System) - effectively an AC power regenerator for the turntable motor that sets Voltage, Frequency and overall speed. If you are familair with the sound of your turntable the effect is subtle, but quite discernable. Most noticible is an overall increase in the sense of stability to the fundamental pace of the music, very much in the sense of the Linn/Rega notion of PRAT. Net result is an increase in pitch definition, a natural sense of decay, and an ability to more easily discern individual instruments in complex passages. It is absolutely staying in the system, and I would recommend it to anyone who has a VPI table.

Attachments

• sds.jpg
    sds.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 568
Last edited:
System Update photos...

Since I've inserted the SDS into the system I thought I'd update a few of the overall system shots here.

Attachments

• sys030802.jpg
    sys030802.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 575
  • sys030801.jpg
    sys030801.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 567
The rest of the chain

And here are a few shots of the rest of the analog chain - from the source, to the sublime Aesthetic Rhea phono-stage, then on to the great BAT VK-31SE pre-amp, and finally the muscle of the BAT VK-6200. I can't tell you how happy I am with this set-up!

Attachments

• Aries08.jpg
    Aries08.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 573
  • rhea08.jpg
    rhea08.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 563
  • Vk31SE.jpg
    Vk31SE.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 563
  • BATVK6200-08.jpg
    BATVK6200-08.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 559
Tim, Congrats on the SDS purchase ! I know you will appreciate it as much as I do mine. FWIW, once a month I check mine, with a flourescent trouble light, I've had to 'tweak' my setting but once in the eight months I've owned mine.

Latest posts

Back