System #92 (SL3)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Timw

There are certainly some nice systems featured here....
I just wanted to add mine...Thx.

Member Name: Tim

ML Model(s): Fronts - SL3's

Year Purchased: 2006 (Used)

Mods/Changes:
I have installed new panels on the SL3's

Associated Electronics:

* Denon AVR-3805 A/V Multichannel Receiver
* Pioneer DV45 Universal DVD Player
* Sony(old'92) 32" TV...still going
* In Focus ceiling mounted projector
* 85" pull down Day-Lite screen
* Theta-Data Basic CD Transport& Gen-III D/A processor
* Thorens TD145-MKII Turntable
* Sony SLV-R1000 SVHS HiFi VCR
* Panasonic LX-900 laserdisc player
* American Audio DJ Dual CD player
* Numark DJ Mixer
* HHB CD850 "BurnIT" Pro CD Recorder
* Tascam CD-RW5000 Pro CD Recorder
* Sony Double Cassette recorder
* Furman PL-Plus Power conditioner
* Ramsey Electronics - FM-25 Stereo FM Transmitter
* Alesis - mini Compressor/Limiter
* IBM T-40 Thinkpad
* Cables used-mostly Straightwire rhapsody and Monster
* REAR & BACK SURROUND Spkrs are Pinnacle's
* CENTER Spkr- Custom built
* SUB - Velodyne F-1200

Comments: The ONLY reason I sold off my Thiel model 3.6 speakers is because a great deal came along on the ML SL3's that I couldn't pass up. I'm glad it worked out. The sound from these speakers is just incredible!
Unfortunately, As u can see from the pic, I have a support pole right in the middle of my room that I would love to get rid of. It would be just too costly for me right now to remove and replace with a steel beam structure. Luckily the projector image isn't affected too much by this. I may also look into getting a good 2 CH power amp to run the SL3's off of from my Denon's front channel Pre-Outs for even better 2ch music listening.....

Attachments

• timfeb06 005.jpg
    timfeb06 005.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 814
  • timfeb06 007.jpg
    timfeb06 007.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 663
  • timfeb06 010.jpg
    timfeb06 010.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 634
Good looking System...

Tim,

Wonderful set-up. :D You record to CD too I see. I agree a two channel amplifier would do wonders for your two channel music listening. What kinds of music do you listen to mostly? Your SL3's look excellent. :D

Excellent system, I'm glad you shared it with us... :D

Tim,, Welcome, nice to see your system posted here. I'm also glad to see a turntable in the mix !! as well as front projection !! I agree you will give your two channel music listening a great improvement when you go with seperates.

Thx for the comments guys.....
Robin...Yes, I like recording my own CD compilations using the DJ cd setup. This way I can keep the CDR 'rolling' and segue from one song to the other. I've put together my own "Classic Rock" and "Best Of" collections which are always fun to do.
I probably listen mostly to progressive type rock: Yes, ELP, Floyd, Genesis etc...
But also enjoy everything from "A"merica(the band) to "Z"eppelin depending on the mood...Incl some classical, new age and soundtrack music.
It all sounds sooooo damn good on the Logans!!!!

Twich, I will NEVER give up my ttable. I still enjoy long 'vinyl' listening sessions. That analog sound still amazes me!
...and the front projection setup is as close as u can get to that Movie Theater experience IMO!!! Not only are movies amazing but when I put on my concert DVD's and crank up the surround sound...It's like being at the concert!!!
My wife just shakes her head when she walks in the room..especially if I have the Zeppelin DVD cranked up! The funny thing is....When we got engaged 24 yrs ago I told her that this audio/video hobby was going to have to be the one 'sickness' of mine that she's just going to have to put up with.
Lucky for me...she has put up with it and has been great about it...most of the time ;)
Thx again.....
tim

Musical recording system with Logans great combo...

Timw said:
Thx for the comments guys.....
Robin...Yes, I like recording my own CD compilations using the DJ cd setup. This way I can keep the CDR 'rolling' and segue from one song to the other. I've put together my own "Classic Rock" and "Best Of" collections which are always fun to do.
I probably listen mostly to progressive type rock: Yes, ELP, Floyd, Genesis etc...
But also enjoy everything from "A"merica(the band) to "Z"eppelin depending on the mood...Incl some classical, new age and soundtrack music.
It all sounds sooooo damn good on the Logans!!!!

Twich, I will NEVER give up my ttable. I still enjoy long 'vinyl' listening sessions. That analog sound still amazes me!
...and the front projection setup is as close as u can get to that Movie Theater experience IMO!!! Not only are movies amazing but when I put on my concert DVD's and crank up the surround sound...It's like being at the concert!!!
My wife just shakes her head when she walks in the room..especially if I have the Zeppelin DVD cranked up! The funny thing is....When we got engaged 24 yrs ago I told her that this audio/video hobby was going to have to be the one 'sickness' of mine that she's just going to have to put up with.
Lucky for me...she has put up with it and has been great about it...most of the time ;)
Thx again.....
tim
Tim,

I think we have similar tastes in music. I wish I had not given away my record collection. I am strongly considering adding vinyl and tubes to my system someday... :eek:

Your system is beautiful and so is your music collection... :D

Robin said:
Tim,

I think we have similar tastes in music. I wish I had not given away my record collection. I am strongly considering adding vinyl and tubes to my system someday... :eek:

Your system is beautiful and so is your music collection... :D

Hey Robin, You should look to get back into vinyl someday...I think you'll be pleasently surprised at just how good it will sound thru your system. BTW....Nice system you have there!!! For the size room you have to work with...I'm amazed at how you worked such a nice setup in there! That must sound pretty cool with the surrounds hanging overhead!!!! So what kinds of music have u been into lately? Any new equipment plans in the near future for your system??? I like your 'in wall' shelving for your music/dvd collection. I have to build a new set of shelves...I'm completely out of room and the cd's and dvd's are starting to pile up!!!
regards,
Tim

Your system makes beautiful music...

Timw said:
Hey Robin, You should look to get back into vinyl someday...I think you'll be pleasently surprised at just how good it will sound thru your system. BTW....Nice system you have there!!! For the size room you have to work with...I'm amazed at how you worked such a nice setup in there! That must sound pretty cool with the surrounds hanging overhead!!!! So what kinds of music have u been into lately? Any new equipment plans in the near future for your system??? I like your 'in wall' shelving for your music/dvd collection. I have to build a new set of shelves...I'm completely out of room and the cd's and dvd's are starting to pile up!!!
regards,
Tim
Tim,

Thank you for the kind words. I love my small HT it offers "ML Killer sounds from above"... :D I've been into jazz lately, I just bought Chet Baker's CD entitled, "Chet" It is wonderful. I'll probably do a review / recommendation sometime soon. The selving in my HT was actually adding to a closet, it really helps, but I am running out of space with over 800+ DVD's and 300+ CD's. I'm concidering going caseless for all my DVD's and CD's... :)

You have a great musical system... :D

Back