System #91 (CLS IIz, Stylos)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ralflar said:
I remember the quotes saying that this deck's Adres noise reduction was very close to Nakamichi's Hicom, and better than licensees' Hicom implementations of the time which were twice as expensive. Do you remember what Adres stood for?

Not only, but the Aurex's adres can be used for external devices, too...like a reeel-to-reel device, for example. And yes, adres stands for automatic dynamic-range expansion system, do you remember dbx, SAE, these were times...sources were always ahead of loudspeakers in promising wonderful reproduction. Then came Martin Logan, and suddently all sources had to reinvent themselves, because the king was naked :)

Yes, automatic dynamic-range expansion system, responsible for the 88dB signal to noise ratio which gave the PC-X88AD its name. I also remember dbx, wasn't that what Technics' used? SAE must have escaped my attention.

Remember those discussions about the best tape brands? Most of my buddies would only use TDK. I was a Fuji and later Maxell devotee. Tried Memorex but found it less than glass shattering.

With the PC-X the tape material was not so important anyway, because with its built-in read-after-write feature one could set the required bias easily enough.

Lugano,
Just got my Alphastatic, thanks for the tip on the casters

and a Great Rack ! Now if I can only find this Nirvana thing and the view

you have i'll be set. :)

Munster said:
Lugano,
Just got my Alphastatic, thanks for the tip on the casters

and a Great Rack ! Now if I can only find this Nirvana thing and the view

you have i'll be set. :)

I'm glad to know that ! Did you also get the lighting system ? Please post pictures of your setup with the rack.
As of the landscape, for the time being it's either the view or the Martin Logans - one can not have everything together :)

oh yeah

Just made a wonderful acquisition on eBay - something I've been hunting for a long, long time.

An Accuphase tuner, and not any Accuphase... the T-103. A freaking home run. The last analog they did. WOOOW !!! Needless to say, my wife chuckled "so your Christmas present is not a subject anymore". Well, no, she is goddamn right !

Attachments

• 0183_3.JPG.jpg
    0183_3.JPG.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Congrats congrats!!!! I heard the Accuphase CDP and if that's any indication of the sound quality of this tuner you have, I'm sure you're in for a great treat!

Merry Christmas to yoU!

Joey :D

Looks like My idea inspired you too! Is the improvement as noticeable on your system as it is on my "little" Sequels?

--Richard

Looks like My idea inspired you too! Is the improvement as noticeable on your system as it is on my "little" Sequels?

--Richard

More than inspired - it gave me the kick to finally do it. The improvement is really big - a great change in "authority". Before, the CLS were talking to me like a captain, now they talk like a general. If we look at the proportions, however, I've added 30% more weight to them, right where it belongs.

Cap block

Guys, I've done the weight thing for years, however, I discovered that an 8 x 16 x 2 in thick concrete cap block (or two) placed on top of the electronics unit does a much better job (distributes the weight and damps the top of the electronics chassis nicely.) It's also good to lay a piece of thin sheet foam between the block(s) and the top of the chassis (no scratches, better contact.)

Cap blocks are available at your local building supply for very little, and are usually used to trim the top of a concrete block wall. They're available in a nice terracotta color also ;)

I just couldn't resist, I had to buy this. The TT gurus might laugh at me, but I'm happy with it. More pictures soon (gonna pick it up saturday).

What is it? I think it looks pretty cool from that pic!

I like the use of the lifting weight under the light on the Logan. The most workout I have ever had from my weights was moving them out of the way.

I just couldn't resist, I had to buy this. The TT gurus might laugh at me, but I'm happy with it. More pictures soon (gonna pick it up saturday).

Hi,
Looks like an Ortofon OM series cartridge. I'm using an OM30 in my TT...:)

Peter

Back