System #90 (Ascent, Cinema)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruppy

Reaction score
THIS SYSTEM HAS BEEN UPDATED PLEASE SEE POST 36, 03-10-08
THIS SYSTEM HAS BEEN UPDATED PLEASE SEE POST 31, 01-21-08
THIS SYSTEM HAS BEEN UPDATED PLEASE SEE POST 23, 04-28-07

1. Name: Bob Krupp (aka Kruppy – lifelong nickname)

2. Location: Rochester, Michigan (Metro Detroit)

3. Models: Mains: SL3s
Center: Cinema

4. Date Purchased: SL3s and Cinema 2004

5. Modifications/Changes: None

6. Associated Electronics:
Preamp: PS Audio PCA-2
Amp (main): Adcom GFA-5800 (My only original piece left from the early 90’s)
CD: Adcom GCD-575
SACD/DVD: Philips 963SA
Amp (center and surrounds): Adcom GFA-5503
Processor: Yamaha HTR-5860
Speakers (Surrounds): Definitive Technology PB-1
Conditioning/Power Cords: PS Audio Power Director 3.5, PS Audio Juice Bar and a couple of PS Audio Plus power cables
Digital Coax Interconnect: Audioquest VDM-3
Analogue Interconnects: Audioquest Coral throughout
Speaker Cables (Mains): PS Audio XStream Statement Bi-Wire
Speaker Cable (Center): PS Audio Plus
Speaker Cables (Surrounds): Audioquest Type 4
Rack: DIY project

7. ML Comments/Stories:
I fell in lust with Sequel IIs back in the late 80’s and early 90’s. At the time I was still in college and just about to graduate and could not afford them. I settled on some Vandersteen 2Ces which kept me satisfied for roughly 13 years. I told myself that one day I would own a pair of MLs. During this time I got disconnected from my audio hobby and lost track of the industry.

Fast forward to winter 2003/2004: I never thought much about finding audio equipment on ebay until this point. I decided to treat myself and followed Martin Logan auctions for a bit until I came across the SL3s that I bought from a very nice fellow audio junky in Elkhart, Indiana. After a 9 hour (total) journey, I huffed those monsters down to my little sanctuary in my finished basement. After almost 13 years I finally had my MLs. No, my wife does not understand this accomplishment.

Since I bought these beauties, I’ve discovered that my associated equipment was and still is not doing my speakers justice. I have been on an upgrade kick for the last 2+ years and it has taken control of my being. A lot of the equipment I own, I got at discounted prices (a combination of new and used). I tend to look for the best bang for the minimum buck (if minimum is possible in this hobby).

My listening habits are roughly 70% two channel and 30% movies. As you can see I am currently willing to compromise multichannel performance right now. My most recent purchase was the HTR-5860, new at a 35% discount (hey if I don’t pat myself on the back no one else will). I bought this knowing that I would upgrade in the next couple of years with all of the hi-res hardware and surround formats in process. I needed something to fill the immediate void as my Adcom GDD-1 Dolby Digital Decoder pooped out (what a pile of junk).

I have six short term goals, of which, four are income dependant (not in any order). 1. Upgrade my source: I've been thinking about a Rotel 1072. 2. Upgrade my Amp: I’m still undecided as to what but any of the Pass Labs amps sure are nice. 3. Add a sub: I’d like a Decent, but I don’t think I’ll ever be able to afford one (without jeopardizing my kid’s future education) so I’m leaning towards a Depth or SVS. 4. New TV/Projector: I just have to replace that 27in TV with something else. I’ve been quite happy to see the drop in HiDef prices lately (maybe another 6-9 months I’ll be ready). 5. Separate Circuit: I’m in the process of wiring in a dedicated 20 amp circuit, which should be completed shortly. 6. I need to relax and learn to enjoy what I have because it’s a lot more than what most others have.

8. Photos:

Attachments

• System Front View.JPG
    System Front View.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 1,329
Last edited:
Kruppy, very nice set-up !! I follow your listening / viewing trend as well, as well as applauding your approach to getting the best value for your dollar spent. With regards to your thought on the Rotel 1072 CD player, I own one myself and consider it to be great player for the $$ spent. Pass Labs..... good stuff, but I'm thinking about Plinius as well( I know Dan, aka DTB300 is pro-Plinius). I have auditioned Classe' as well and was favorably impressed. And then there's tubes !! ahhhhhhhh it never ends !!!!!!!!!!!

Kruppy....

Very nice system! I enjoyed the read and I'm very happy that you were able to come full circle with the Logans after 13 or so years. Here's your pat on the back... *patting*.

;)

Yep, what Tom said.

"It's about time you get your system up here!!!"

Nice system Kruppy, I like how balanced it looks.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Just a note. The pictures I'm posting look extremely bright. Actual light levels are tamed a bit, so everything doesn't look so "hospital" white.

Here's a close up of the rack:

Attachments

• System Close Up.JPG
    System Close Up.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,313
Kudos from another "cave" man !

Nice setup, Kruppy ! Your system looks well balanced !

Like you, I got disconnected from the audio hobby for many years and was drawn back by MLs. :)

Happy listening !

twich54 said:
Kruppy, With regards to your thought on the Rotel 1072 CD player, I own one myself and consider it to be great player for the $$ spent.

Kruppy, very nice setup. Just like Dave, I am also an owner of the Rotel 1072 CD player. It is cheap but does the job very well. If I was a single man, I would spend more money on audio but I am not, and like you we have other things to take care in our lives as well.

My friend bought the 1072 one week after I bought mine and his one came with a much nicer remote control :-(

Regards, Transpa.

Kruppy,
Great looking system!

I too have the Rotel 1072 and I think for the money it is hard to beat. I am looking in to having it modded and I will keep everyone updated on that.

Jeff :cool:

Beautiful System...

Kruppy,

I love how you have your room set-up very clean and oriented to audio listening. I agree your set-up is screaming for a front projector... :D
On further reflection maybe you should risk certain death and just go for it.
No, happiness and harmony is paramount... :D 6-9 months is not too long to wait, given the realities we are sometimes faced with.

The framed art on your back wall looks great. I'm curious, who are the artist's?

The digital photos you took of your system look great!

I think your system is wonderful and I believe your plans for improvement are reasonable as well as very well thought-out.

Thank you for showing us your beautiful system... :D

Hey Krupster!

Nice system! Great to finally see it. I really like how you have it set up. I think your room looks like it would be perfect for a projector! That PS Audio stuff looks familiar too. <wink> ;)

:D

Robin and Mark,
Again, thanks for the comments.

Robin,
The artwork is actually left overs from my bachelor days that doesn't fit into the upstairs decore we have right now. The two stacked frames to the right are reproductions of Deigo Rivera's large mural at the Detroit institue of the Arts. I'll see if I can find a link. The center is a photo my brother took of Luka Bloom when he played at a small bar in Ann Arbor, Mi (The Blind Pig). It was one of the best shows I've ever seen. The left is another photo my brother took of Margo Timmins (lead singer for the Cowboy Junkies) also taken at a concert I attended at the Royal Oak Music Theater in Royal Oak, Mi.

Beautiful Mural Painting...

Kruppy said:
Robin and Mark,
Again, thanks for the comments.

Robin,
The artwork is actually left overs from my bachelor days that doesn't fit into the upstairs decore we have right now. The two stacked frames to the right are reproductions of Deigo Rivera's large mural at the Detroit institue of the Arts. I'll see if I can find a link. The center is a photo my brother took of Luka Bloom when he played at a small bar in Ann Arbor, Mi (The Blind Pig). It was one of the best shows I've ever seen. The left is another photo my brother took of Margo Timmins (lead singer for the Cowboy Junkies) also taken at a concert I attended at the Royal Oak Music Theater in Royal Oak, Mi.
Kruppy,

Hey thank you for posting the mural painting of Diego Rivera, I like it. What does your brother play in the band? He seems like a great photographer as well. I appreciate your sharing... :)

Thanks again

Robin said:
Kruppy,

Hey thank you for posting the mural painting of Diego Rivera, I like it. What does your brother play in the band? He seems like a great photographer as well. I appreciate your sharing... :)

Thanks again

Not in a band, he used to do some freelance photography for a small but now defunct music oriented paper.

Easy!

One goal complete:

I just finished wiring my dedicated 20amp circuit and didn't electrocute myself. :)

I just couldn't help it, for under $50 I had to do it. :cool:

100 ft 12 gauge $35
20amp outlet $6
box $3
cover $1

As noted below I forgot the cost of a 20amp breaker: $3.25

Last edited:
Kruppy said:
One goal complete:

I just finished wiring my dedicated 20amp circuit and didn't electrocute myself. :)

I just couldn't help it, for under $50 I had to do it. :cool:

100 ft 12 gauge $35
20amp outlet $6
box $3
cover $1
Kruppy, Congrats, you just completed on of the best tweaks one can do regardless of $$, It amazing to see people spend $$ on power cables and not use a dedicated line....total waste of $$. BTW, don't forget to add the cost of the breaker to your list above !!

PS - FWIW, I know it's too late but with the length of Romex you ran(100') yuo should have run #10, some people would even say #8 !!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back