System #90 (Ascent, Cinema)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twich,
Actually, my run was under 75 feet if that matters any.

I haven't spent much time listening for any difference yet, however, it seems like my speakers are quieter with just the equipment fired up (no music playing). Seems like there's less noise (or maybe the voices in my head are silent today). I'm not sure what was on the previous circuit I was using, but I think the downstairs refrigerator was and I know the TV was. I basically had everything plugged into one outlet and have been a bit concerned about that for a while. I'm very glad its done and it was a lot easier than I thought.

What's funny is that I told myself I'd never get this involved in this crazy hobby, yet here I am.

Last edited:
Kruppy said:
Twich,
Actually, my run was under 75 feet if that matters any.

I haven't spent much time listening for any difference yet, however, it seems like my speakers are quieter with just the equipment fired up (no music playing). Seems like there's less noise (or maybe the voices in my head are silent today). I'm not sure what was on the previous circuit I was using, but I think the downstairs refrigerator was and I know the TV was. I basically had everything plugged into one outlet and have been a bit concerned about that for a while. I'm very glad its done and it was a lot easier than I thought.

What's funny is that I told myself I'd never get this involved in this crazy hobby, yet here I am.
good move, hands down the worst appliance you could have on the line would be a fridge or freezer.

System Update 4-28-07

Alrighty, just before Christmas I made what I consider a huge upgrade in the video portion of my system. This was all accomplished by selling off (ebay) a few audio extras and some biking things that I no longer had the time for.

The 27” junker TV has been banished to the armoire in the master bedroom. It has been replaced with a Mitsubishi HD1000U 720p DLP projector. I had been debating on this one and another budget projector the Optima HD70. After reading as much as possible I chose the Mits.

For a long time I thought projectors were too expensive to consider. I had my heart set on a 50” Sony DLP box in the $1500 range, which was a big budget stretch for me. Boy am I glad I dug into projectors. For under $900 I have 92in picture that I’m currently projecting on to a very light grey-ish/white wall. I have been very impressed with the colors and picture quality even though I do not have a screen.

Getting rid of the CRT box has allowed me to relocate some things. The DIY rack that I intended on using for a large screen projection TV has been move from between my SL3s (Finally!) to a side wall out of way. This had a pretty big positive sonic impact. I DIY’d an amp stand out of some extra materials from the rack. The amp was left positioned in-between the SL3s and behind the Cinema.

Moving my rack forced me into a new 28ft pair of interconnects for my main amp and speaker cable for the Cinema. I’m still flabbergasted a cable prices. I ended up with Signal Cable Analog 2 XLRs and Signal Cable Classic Speaker cable. The Analog 2s replace Audioquest Corals and the Classic replaced PS Audio Plus speaker cables. Both the Corals and Plus cables were replaced only because they were way way too short.

I still have a long way to go, but its baby steps for me…..

Oh, please forgive the pictures, I’m no photographer. I'm hoping to post a few better pics shortly.

Attachments

• IMG_1376.jpg
    IMG_1376.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1377.jpg
    IMG_1377.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1413.jpg
    IMG_1413.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_1807.JPG
    IMG_1807.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_1802.JPG
    IMG_1802.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 166
Unfortunately the dark screen shots do not give you a better sense of the size of the picture. It's pretty big. My kids were gobsmacked when I fired the Mits up for the first time.

The projector was under a grand!?!

Holy Cow, that looks GREAT! I was considering making my dedicated room an audio only room because I didn't want a big a$$'ed box-o-glass muddying up the sound, but if I could get a projector like that into the mix I'd be all over it like white on rice. Very cool addition and a great look to your room. Good for you!

The projector was under a grand!?!

Holy Cow, that looks GREAT! I was considering making my dedicated room an audio only room because I didn't want a big a$$'ed box-o-glass muddying up the sound, but if I could get a projector like that into the mix I'd be all over it like white on rice. Very cool addition and a great look to your room. Good for you!

Yup, in fact it was somthing like $890 give or take a couple of bucks from www.projectorpeople.com (there are other sites that were close but slightly more at the time). Oh yeah, shipping was included. Back in November 06 when this projector was introduced it was something like $1300-$1400 with a free bulb. Optoma had come out with their HD70 DLP for $999. Mits dropped thier price to $995 and stopped offering the free replacement bulb to try to one up Optoma. Back in December there was a couple of pricing drops for Christmas and I reeled a HD1000U in. I haven't seen any pricing lately so I don't know where they're at now.

Be careful with projectors if your not familiar with them. The HD1000U has a big offset (~33%) so you have to have the right positioning/ceiling height for the right picture size.

Kruppy,

I like the change. I bet the soundstage has improved greatly and is amazing. The picture looks great and I am sure your kids really love it.

Great job!

Jeff:cool:

GREAT !!!

(secret handshake from fellow projector guy here)

I'm sorry that I did not have the time to do something I wanted to, when Tim came to visit: play the DVD he recommended, which I bought following his advice (Krauss live) on the HT system, with the projector....

Kruppy, what about this ?

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/printer_projector-screen-1.shtml

Last edited:
Jeff,
Yes the sound stage has improved. Although, I think I now have room problems that I didn't notice prior to the TV/rack move. I'm currently waiting on an external sound card I just won off ebay so that I can start farting around with EQ Room Wizard.

Not only do my kids love it, but my non-audio/videophile wife has had girls movie night a couple of times at our house. I think she likes it, but just doesn't like to admit it.

Lugano,
Finally, I have earned a secret handshake. I've been jealous of all the secret Summit handshakes going on lately. Familiar with goo systems and I've briefly looked into DIY screens. I think I'm going to save up for budget screen. There's Elunevision from www.eastporters.com and Elite EZ frame from www.elitescreens.com. I've been pretty happy with the plain wall so far.

Hello all,
I’ve made some recent inexpensive updates to my system/room.

A few years ago made a DIY rack out of 1.5 inch square aluminum extrusions (8020 Inc) to hold a 60 inch projection TV. In December of 06 I bought my Mitsubishi HD1000U projector instead. I continued to use the rack, but it was rather big and a waste of space, so this past weekend I chopped up and turned it into a tall vertical rack. I mounted 2 lights on the top of the rack. I sold off the set of leaning black shelves that also took up way too much space and replaced them with 2 bookcases. This really made a huge visual change down in my “man space”.

In addition, I have recently purchased 2 GIK 244 acoustic panels for the front corners behind my SL3s. At this point I do not want to make any detailed comments about the panels, other than they have made a difference to the sound of my system. I spent almost 2 hours on Sunday running frequency sweeps with Room EQ Wizard and I have yet to fully evaluate the data and have very limited listening sessions. You’ll notice that most of my framed pictures and art work have yet to be hung on the walls as I am contemplating additional acoustic treatments.

Attachments

• Full Sys View smaller.jpg
    Full Sys View smaller.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 212
  • Rack View smaller.jpg
    Rack View smaller.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 210
  • Rack View in the dark smaller.jpg
    Rack View in the dark smaller.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 207
  • GIK View smaller.jpg
    GIK View smaller.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 207
Kruppy , You have a lot of room for a get together ! Hell That is a cool rack too!

Where ya get the Star Wars Models !

Kruppy , You have a lot of room for a get together ! Hell That is a cool rack too!

Where ya get the Star Wars Models !

Yeah, I know. My "man space" has been a mess until this weekend. My only issue with a get together is that I feel like my system is not quite up to the level that others are used to.

I would bet that rack weighs close to 100lbs and could probably hold 1000lbs or more.

The X-Wing, Tie Fighter and Formula Car are Legos. I've always been a huge fan of Legos. Now I feel rediculous, nothing like telling the world that a grown man plays with Legos... :eek:

Legos are cool ! Its not how god it sounds against anyones system its how good it sounds in your room !;)

Kruppy, congrats. Looking good there man.

I really like your rack (good thing you're a guy, right?) ;)

I'm eager to hear what your impressions of the treatments are.

But I do have to say, just two panels is not nearly enough :D

Another system update:

A couple of weeks ago I was lucky enough to come across a pair of Ascents for sale on the forum here that were local to me (45min drive). It was a "can't pass this up" kind of deal. What was additionally attractive about this deal is that previous owner let me take them home to set up and audition with my equipment. I was able to compare them to my recently sold SL3s for a couple of days. About a 1/2 hour after being home with them, C.A.P came over to help me tweak them into position. To be honest, I have kept them in the same location since.

Was there an improvement over SL3s? Of course or I would not have kept them. Midrange is fuller and warmer and there is a increase in low frequency response. I was sorry to see my SL3s go as they were in extremely good condition and my first Logans (which took me roughly 14 years to get), however, I'm quite happy with Ascents right now.

Hey Tom, how do I change the title of my member system from SL3s to Ascents? :D

Attachments

• Ascents Right 2 smaller.jpg
    Ascents Right 2 smaller.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 158
  • Ascents Left smaller.jpg
    Ascents Left smaller.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Very nice ! I love the sound of them. I guess UPgradeitus has struck a few of us. :music:

Latest posts

Back