System #89 (Summit)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stesom

Reaction score
Greetings All,

Steve Sommers
Eden Prairie, MN

Just taking the opportunity to display my current system. Let me know if you have any questions and/or suggestions....Thanks...Steve

Speakers:
Front Stereo: ML Summits Purchased 2/3/2006
Center: Audio Physic - maybe upgrade to Stage
Rear: Polk
Audioquest: Pikes Peak

Amps:
Ayre MX-R Mono Blocks
Marantz 3 X MA-500 Center, Rears

Pre and Processor:
Audio Research Reference 3, Classe SSP-25

Analog:
VPI TNT Jr. and JMW 12.6+ with Shelter 9000 through and Audio Research PH-7
Upgraded Mk 5 Platter/Bearing, MK6 Ball Suspension, SDS and Stainless clamp
Close enough to MK 5 for me, though HRX may be in the future

Digital Source
Audio Research Reference CD7 and Denon 5910

Video:
Hitachi 65twx20b Set up and Calibrated by AVICAL

Interconnects: Audioquest Jaguar

Attachments

• NCENTER0001.JPG
    NCENTER0001.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 1,425
  • NLEFT0001.JPG
    NLEFT0001.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 1,363
  • NRIGHT0003.JPG
    NRIGHT0003.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 1,400
Last edited:
Welcome aboard. I removed your other post. Please post those additional photos here. Thanks.

What's up with that CAT?? YIKES!! :)

Excellent Summit / Classe System...

Steve,

I am very happy to finally see your beautiful Summit System. Wow, it looks very cool and I love your Classe amplifiers... :D

Your kitty cat's name is? She gives your system even more "Classe" too. She goes to the highest part of your system because she wants to be at the "Summit" of your system. She is queen of all she surveys... :D

How big is your HT room, again?

Wonderful set-up, Steve. :D

Thanks for the warm welcome. Actually the cat is a boy (Gadget) but he did not take offence. There is a bit of a cable mess behind the rack, so I need to do some major surgury to dress it up. The equipment hides it so that my wife does not complain too much.

The room is 26 wide by 15 deep but open to our kitchen so the speakers see about 700 square feet plus the ceiling is 9 feet. So far the sound is very good as many have said an inch here and inch there makes a big diff. It will take time to dial it in but at this point I am very happy.

For anyone who has not heard them yet they can play most anything. I have not tried full sized orchestra yet. But small and large jazz, rock solo anything just wonderful. I put on some bass mechanic stuff normally researved for car audio base freeks and I will tell you that these things shook the whole house better than my two 18in bag ends. My wife freaked out it was so cool.

Very grateful to have the system it is a lot of fun........Steve

Last edited:
We got a fellow Illinoisan here with us!

Sweet!

I've seen that exact type of Summit (trim and metal upgrade) in person and I like how you have it in your system. Very nice system... very nice! I wish I had the Summits sometimes.... and looking at your system is one of those times.

Joey

Hay nice system.

Thanks for posting it, glad to finally see someone with a pair of summits in silver trim.

If you could, describe the clear aluminum finish. No disrespect to you but your camera makes the pics look to grainy to really tell what the finish looks like. I also have clear alum on the way but I ordered them sight unseen and I am worried that they look to "matte" aluminum like
Thanks

LOGANLOVE said:
If you could, describe the clear aluminum finish. No disrespect to you but your camera makes the pics look to grainy to really tell what the finish looks like. I also have clear alum on the way but I ordered them sight unseen and I am worried that they look to "matte" aluminum like
Thanks

I will take a small higher res pic tonight for you and post it here. The pic quality suffered since they needed to be shrunk down to under 200k. The finish is a matte aluminum. They are not polished and coated, but a bit like sandblasted and finished. They are not smooth and shiny like the Chrome upgrades ($5000). My wife really likes the look and the finish is classy, but it is not perfectly smooth, it has a little texture......Steve

LOGANLOVE said:
Thanks

Like I said in your other thread LoganLove... you ordered the Matte finish... for $5000, you get the Chrome finish that you always see on the Summit ads.

Joey_V said:
Like I said in your other thread LoganLove... you ordered the Matte finish... for $5000, you get the Chrome finish that you always see on the Summit ads.

Agreed matte finish it is......I dont mind paying extra for a special finish. But $5k is half the price of the speaker.....would be hard to justify under any circumstance for me, but the chrome really does look good in the photos.

Joey_V said:
I Spoke to Joel Lopez this morning at Martin Logan and he said that the speakers in the Pic I posted in my thread were in fact Clear aluminum although all the lighting in the pic makes it look more like chrome, but he aided in the photoshoot so he knows which speakers they are. He said they have only manufactured 2 pairs with chrome alum trim and they are a 7000 dollar upgrade not 5000. yikes!!! $17,000 speakers!!!!!

Last edited:
stesom said:
I will take a small higher res pic tonight for you and post it here. The pic quality suffered since they needed to be shrunk down to under 200k. The finish is a matte aluminum. They are not polished and coated, but a bit like sandblasted and finished. They are not smooth and shiny like the Chrome upgrades ($5000). My wife really likes the look and the finish is classy, but it is not perfectly smooth, it has a little texture......Steve
Hi Steve,

I think the resolution is fine, just shrink the image to a smaller size and it will be clear and under the 200K limit. You can use any photo editing package (ie. Photoshop) to do this.

thanks.

Tom.

LOGANLOVE said:
I Spoke to Joel Lopez this morning at Martin Logan and he said that the speakers in the Pic I posted in my thread were in fact Clear aluminum although all the lighting in the pic makes it look more like chrome, but he aided in the photoshoot so he knows which speakers they are. He said they have only manufactured 2 pairs with chrome alum trim and they are a 7000 dollar upgrade not 5000. yikes!!! $17,000 speakers!!!!!

Just make sure... I've seen the exact same Summit as Stesom has and they are NOT chrome-y. They are definitely matte. That said, I think that given the right components (amps, tv) that match the color "matte aluminum" - the results are pretty stunning.

Joey_V said:
Just make sure... I've seen the exact same Summit as Stesom has and they are NOT chrome-y. They are definitely matte. That said, I think that given the right components (amps, tv) that match the color "matte aluminum" - the results are pretty stunning.

They match perfectly my Classe componenets aluminum finish and again my wife likes them since the trim is a good contrast to the black panels. They really do help tie together the mix of black and aluminum I already had....Steve

Attachments

• DSCN2182.JPG
    DSCN2182.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,590
Last edited:
stesom, the Summits are not listed in this forum's time line. I know that Martin Logan has new owners and this is their newest product, but what size does it equal to in the past: Odsseys, Ascents...etc...what type of bass woofer does it have?

stesom, the Summits are not listed in this forum's time line. I know that Martin Logan has new owners and this is their newest product, but what size does it equal to in the past: Odsseys, Ascents...etc...what type of bass woofer does it have?

Ascent sized... but with 2x10" woofers per cabinet, it has more woofage than the Oddysey.

Joey, I went to the Martin Loagn web site and looked up the specs. Where is the second woofer...its not in the front, there is only one showing, and its not in the back for I can see the inputs...is it underneath? Also I figure that it has more "Woofage" than the Odyssey because it has it's own amp to power the woofers...interesting:eek:

Back