System #86 (Ascent, Descent, Theater)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Lustig

Reaction score
System #86 (Ascent, Descent, Theater, Aerius)

1. Jim Lustig

2. Wyandotte, MI

3. Ascents, Descent, Theater, Aerius

4. I finally began my odyssey in the fall of 2003 with the Ascents and have built from there

5. As built by ML

6. Signal Cable power cables and ICs
Jolida JD 100A CDP
Sony DA 4ES pre/pro (Receiver)
Denon 5900 DVD
Panamax 5300 Surge / Line Conditioner
Sony 57" Rear projection

7. I first heard / saw Logans in about 1993. At the time I was 19 and barely had a dime to my name (damn college). I knew someday I would own them and even though it took 10 years, I finally got there. While I wish I could have done it sooner, it was well worth the wait. We are now in the process of looking for a new house and with that will come a dedicated theater / sound room. :) Lucky for me I have a fiancé that understands my disease. :D

Attachments

• System Left.JPE
    System Left.JPE
    14.2 KB · Views: 852
Last edited:
Beautiful System...

Jim,

Welcome to the ML Club!
Your system looks fantastic! :D
Which Sunfire Cinema Signature Grand do you have, the "five" or the "seven", the 200 or 400 watt versions? Do you plan to acquire more ML for subwoofer, surrounds and rears someday? If so what are you thinking of purchasing? finally what percentage of the time do you listen to Movie vs. Music?

Beautiful system, it's good to have you here... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Thanks for the compliment on the system! I bought the Logans for Music originally and that is still their primary use, however we do enjoy watching a good movie also. One of our favorite things to do though is turn the lights down, throw in a good disc and drink a good bottle of wine and the Logan's make it all come together. I do have a Descent, but I couldn't get it in the picture with the Ascents and tv so I have attached it to this email. I was finally able to find a black oak top for it on audiogon so that will be here next week make the sub match the Ascents. I will wait until the we are in the next house to buy the rears, but I have no intentions of buying sides at this time. You never can tell though. I will most likely look for a pair of Aerius for the rears when the time comes unless I can find a great deal on Aeon's. And finally to answer your question about the amp, it is the signature model 5x400. As most can relate, the electronics have been some what of a revolving door in my set up, but I think I am good now (for a little while anyway).

Attachments

• Descent.JPG
    Descent.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,223
Last edited:
Here is a little bit better shot of the electronics.

Attachments

• Rack.JPE
    Rack.JPE
    15.5 KB · Views: 846
Last edited:
Actually I purchased most of it from sellers on Audiogon. I was able to find the Ascents from someone within a 30 minute drive from me so that worked out great. Currently only the tv was purchased new. The TV from Almas HI FI in Royal Oak. The only piece I had any shipping problems with was the Theater center where Fed Ex stabbed it with a fork lift. Bastards denied my claim for some reason, but Jim at ML took care of me. He sent me a new bottom panel completely pre-wired. All I had to do was solder a few connections and put it all together. Luckily Fed Ex's fork lift driver missed the cones and panel and only caused significant cosmetic damage.

Last edited:
I've been to that Alma's, although, not since they remodeled within the last oh 6-8 months. I was just wondering if there was a HiFi place that I didn't know about, but needed to visit.

30 minute drive for the Ascents, you're lucky. I drove 4+ hours to Elkhart IN, for my SL3s (althougth I don't regret a single minute of it).

Bummer about the Theater. Search for posts by Dolfin. You'll relate to his experience with FedEx and his Theater.

After about a year of part time work, my basement is finally ready for unveiling. I stripped it bare so I could start with a clean slate and am very happy with results. Prior to completion, my audio/video gear was crammed into a 14x12 room. Now, while the width is still a little narrow, the depth makes up for it. Here are the new details and the new equipment list. I finally made the move to a preamp instead of the Sony for my music and can't believe ther results. My wife is happy that I am finally content with what I have.

1. Jim Lustig

2. Wyandotte, MI

3. Ascents, Theater, Aerius

4. I finally began my odyssey in the fall of 2003 with the Ascents and have built from there

5. As built by ML

6. Room size 11wide x 36 deep
The Main power line is a dedicated 20 amp circuit the speaker outlets are all on the same 15 amp circuit.
The Theater is secured to the wall with 2 x 12's behind the drywall for strength.
PS Audio XStream Statement Speaker Cables for the Ascents
Signal Cable power cables
Conrad Johnson PV 12 preamp
Jolida JD 100A CDP
Sony DA 4ES pre/pro (Receiver)
Denon 5900 DVD
Panamax 5300 Surge / Line Conditioner
Sony 57" Rear projection

Attachments

• Picture 002.JPE
    Picture 002.JPE
    15.5 KB · Views: 578
  • Picture 003.JPE
    Picture 003.JPE
    14.9 KB · Views: 574
  • Picture 004.JPE
    Picture 004.JPE
    15.6 KB · Views: 581
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 583
Last edited:
When ya gona host a get together ? ...........:D Ill be doing one one as soon as it gets hot July prolly !

Hehe! Famous last words! Just wait till Joeyitis hits !!

Been down that road a couple of times already. I didn't bother to list all of the pieces that have cycled in and out over the last 3 years. I feel like I have hit a point of diminishing returns.

And yes, now that I have this project completed I will be looking at having a listening party sometime over the summer. Not only do I have the room for it now but I finally feel confident enough with my system to have the Michigan crew over.

Back