System #85 (Ascent i)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkNewbie

Reaction score
Mark N.

Indianapolis, IN

Ascent i with Cherry trim

Purchased New in 2005

Associated Electronics as follows
Pass Labs X-350 Solid State Amp
McIntosh C2200 Tube Pre-Amp
Shanling SCD-T200 SACD Player w/ slight mod
Bendix 6385 Red Banks for Shanling (tubes)
PS Audio Power Director
Arcici Air Suspension Rack
Transparent Audio Inter Connects
MIT Speaker Cable Bi-Wired

Just a pure 2 channel system for right now. Will move to a HT setup at some point but that is down the road.

Attachments

• Ascent i left.jpg
    Ascent i left.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 1,353
  • Ascent i right.jpg
    Ascent i right.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 1,274
  • Arcici1.jpg
    Arcici1.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 1,295
  • PS Audio.jpg
    PS Audio.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 1,258
And the rest of the components

Here are the rest of the components.

Attachments

• Shanling.jpg
    Shanling.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 1,067
  • Mac.jpg
    Mac.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 1,174
  • Pass amp.jpg
    Pass amp.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,117
  • Arcici.jpg
    Arcici.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 1,356
Finally

Very nice Mark, glad to see you finally posted your system.

I hope to do the same as soon as I get my rack completed and then re-organize my set up.

Do you have any more comments on your Arici and PS Audio additions? I know you added both at the same time so it might be difficult to say what improvements, if any, were attributable to which component. Satisfied?

You also mentioned a while back a funny story about the fella you either bought your rack from or was going to buy a rack from, care to share?

Bob (Kruppy)

Resolution held !

Beautiful combination of tube and solid state amplification !

Thanks for posting your setup and sharing !

Happy listening !

Last edited:
Kruppy said:
Do you have any more comments on your Arici and PS Audio additions? I know you added both at the same time so it might be difficult to say what improvements, if any, were attributable to which component. Satisfied?

You also mentioned a while back a funny story about the fella you either bought your rack from or was going to buy a rack from, care to share?

Bob (Kruppy)

It is really hard to tell which made the bigger difference in my system Bob. I mean there was a noticable improvement when I finished putting everything on the suspension stand but I added the Power Director the same time. All I can do is give them both equal credit. The difference is even hard to explain. It is almost as if the sound is cleaner or more pure. The entire soundstage opened up more than I ever expected. I have played a lot of music and listened in what is certainly the sweet spot in the room and when you close you're eyes, you can point to the different instruments!

The funny story
When I was looking to purchase the Arcici, I looked all over the internet, audiogon, & eBay. There was a guy on audiogon (Wegrzyn Loudspeaker) that was evidently a dealer and we went back and forth with emails negotiating a price. During this process, I found another dealer out of MO that was willing to sell me the Arcici for $150.00 less then this guy's lowest price. Since I had been dealing with him so much, I felt that I should give him another opportunity to "sharpen" his pencil. I thought you might enjoy reading the chain of emails. I have put them in the order they were sent back and forth. His last email is something else, I was totally stunned when I read it.

My email telling him about the other dealer's price

Hello Walter,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I did a search on line today and found a couple of dealers that were under your price by a hundred or so including shipping. My problem is that Arcici does not have a dealer in Indianapolis, IN. I found you on Audiogon. Just realized that I didn't need to tell you that. Will "oops" suffice? Now that we are over that, let me get to my point. If your price is more competitive with others out there, I would prefer to buy through Audiogon as it would help to build my feedback rating up. I am not interested in the smaller rack as it will not suit my needs. Shoot me a number and if it's something that will work for me, we can consummate this by the end of the week. I have a flight out in the morning but will be back home early Friday morning. We could finish this up then if your number is right.

Again, thank you for your promptness.

Mark

His response

Hello Mark-

Thank you for getting back with us. It is appreciated. I did a search for 'ARCICI' on all major search engines & come up with nobody that is advertising Arcici pricing; not even me. What do you have, a search engine on steroids?

If you are able to pay with a bank cashier's check or postal money order (or any type money order), then I can offer you my absolute lowest price (SEE REASON FOR THIS PAYMENT TYPE BELOW):

$1,999.99 (includes shipping)

Reason I offer this lower cash price is that we lose 5% for taking credit cards. That's just Bank of America's current merchant rate for credit cards. Check my reputation in Audiogon, under the username of: wegrzyn11 to see that we are honest & have people send us cashiers checks & money orders all the time. If we 'screw' just one person, nobody in AudiogoN would buy from us. Reputation is that crucial & important. We will post you a very positive AudiogoN feedback once you receive the Arcici Suspense S-1 rack.

You are right in that your reputation in AudiogoN, feedback-wise, means everything in used hi-fi buyer & seller "TRUSTWORTHYNESS". You have only 3 positive feedbacks & have a good start going. Let's build on that with this transaction, if you are comfortable with it. We have 95 positive feedbacks (no negatives or neutrals), & should have many more positives, but a good percentage of AudiogoN buyers are lazy & don't leave feedback, for whatever reason. You sometimes have to beg them to post feedback. You are not obligated in AudiogoN to leave feedback; it is just recommended & a gesture of good faith.

If the above cash price looks good, here's our info:

Make Payable To: Wegrzyn Loudspeaker Company

Send Payment To:

Wegrzyn Loudspeaker Company
Attention: Walter M Wegrzyn
138 West Tenth Drive
Mesa, AZ 85210-3613

Cordially,

Walter
Wegrzyn Loudspeaker Company
Phone: 1-480-464-5547

My email declining his offer
Walter,

Thank you for getting back with me and I apologize for taking so long to get back to you. I am going to pass on your offer. I appreciate your words regarding feedback on Audiogon. I agree that positive feedback is very important. Since your last message I have found another dealer that has a price that saves me substantial money over your offer without restriction on payment type. As much as I want more positive feedback, I simply cannot justify paying additional monies for it. I hope this makes sense to you.

Again, thank you.

Mark

His reply to the above email

Hello Mark-

It doesn't make sense! Who's the dealer & what's his price? Quit beating around the bush, otherwise your just a non-verifiable bullshitter. I don't believe you for a minute.

Your behavior is not typical for an AudiogoN member. You haven't gone through the learning curve yet & still suffer from I don't know, e-bay mentality? Sorry & have a good life!

WMW

I so wanted to reply to the above message but my mother's words kept ringing in my head "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".
Hope this wasn't too long wind'd. :eek:

Last edited:
MarkNewbie said:
His reply to the above email

Hello Mark-

It doesn't make sense! Who's the dealer & what's his price? Quit beating around the bush, otherwise your just a non-verifiable bullshitter. I don't believe you for a minute.

Your behavior is not typical for an AudiogoN member. You haven't gone through the learning curve yet & still suffer from I don't know, e-bay mentality? Sorry & have a good life!

WMW

QUOTE]

Can you say C-ya :eek: . I mean really, what a load of ****. All he had to do was say I understand. Totally unacceptable. Great system by the way. I love the pass/mcintosh combo. Must be sweet!

Nice looking system Mark! Now that you've posted your system I guess I'm going to have to post mine too -- maybe this weeked after I finish assembling my popcorn maker.

its so funny how some "dealers" are so curtious and friendly, (practically your best friend even though they don't even know you) when they are hoping for a sale. once they find out you're either not serious or have found a better deal elsewhere, they're complete morons. they don't give you the time of day and say that "you're getting it lower than MY cost". boy, have i heard that same song and dance in my lifetime. im glad you got it elsewhere, guys like that deserve to go bankrupt for their attitudes. you should send him a pic of the rack and the price you paid.... but not who you got it from, just to **** him off. he would probably cry to the manufacturer that they are selling it and they're not supposed to!!!!! hahaha.

The lights at night

Had to post some shots of the components when they are lite up at night. Even when I am not listening to music at night, I leave them on just because they look so cool. :cool:

Attachments

• Pass amp dark.jpg
    Pass amp dark.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 984
  • mac pre dark1.jpg
    mac pre dark1.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 970
  • shanling dark2.jpg
    shanling dark2.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 1,079
  • Powr dir dark.jpg
    Powr dir dark.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 1,035
They are soooo cool is correct...

MarkNewbie said:
Had to post some shots of the components when they are lite up at night. Even when I am not listening to music at night, I leave them on just because they look so cool. :cool:
Mark,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your post, but I was in shock and awe... :D What a beautiful set-up, Wow! It looks even better than I was imagining. Your Arcici Air Suspension Rack, looks fantastic. It seems to hold all of your compents with effortless ease, no matter how big. Your McIntosh Tubed Preamp above your PASS Labs X350 looks just totally awesome. I agree they look soooo cool lite up and the Shanling, well you know how I feel about how wonderful it is especially with the Bendix Red Band tubes... :D It was truly worth the wait to see you musical system. Your system seems to be the true senergy or sonic nirvana balance between tubes and solid state. I must confess I've been antisipating seeing your system for a while and now that I can visualize its more wonderful your photos are great. You mentioned future plans for a HT. What speakers will you be looking to add next? A subwoofer? or surrounds next?

Wonderful musical system Mark, Thanks for posting... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Robin said:
Mark,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your post, but I was in shock and awe... :D What a beautiful set-up, Wow! It looks even better than I was imagining. Your Arcici Air Suspension Rack, looks fantastic. It seems to hold all of your compents with effortless ease, no matter how big. Your McIntosh Tubed Preamp above your PASS Labs X350 looks just totally awesome. I agree they look soooo cool lite up and the Shanling, well you know how I feel about how wonderful it is especially with the Bendix Red Band tubes... :D It was truly worth the wait to see you musical system. Your system seems to be the true senergy or sonic nirvana balance between tubes and solid state. I must confess I've been antisipating seeing your system for a while and now that I can visualize its more wonderful your photos are great. You mentioned future plans for a HT. What speakers will you be looking to add next? A subwoofer? or surrounds next?

Wonderful musical system Mark, Thanks for posting... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Just know that you're other post in the New Year's Resolution thread inspired me to finally get pictures taken and posted on here. The HT project is well down the road. I live in a three bedroom condo and the layout is not conducive for a HT set up. I would have to do some remodeling and change my living room furniture. I have a 21 foot sectional couch that takes up a whole lot of space. One wall is all built in bookshelves and a fireplace and there isn't room for a TV larger than 42 inches. When I do the HT thingy, I would want a much larger TV. I would most likely buy new speakers for the fronts and move my Ascents to the rear. Who knows at this juncture. The HT will be in the next house or condo that I purchase. The next purchase for my system will be a turntable, arm and cartridge. I have a bunch of records, some of which have not even been taken out of the sleeves. Plus a turntable will sit nice on top of the Arcici as the top platform is isolated and sits on a cushion of air. I am trying to buckle down on my spending so the turntable just might be my Christmas present to myself at the end of the year.

Thanks to everyone for you're comments and know that it was Robin who inspired me to finally get this on here. ;)

Your system inspires too...

Mark,

Thank you for your kind words. :D Your system has inspired me towards thinking it is possible to have two systems in one, that long trem goals are worthy and that a perfect balance - "Sonic Nirvana" is not just a possibility, but can be a reality. Now, I can just show my friends and family, my friend, Mark's "System #85" on the the ML Club site, showing what is really possible and worth concidering... ;) How awesome sounds with tubes and SS both can be sucessfully achieved... :D

I look forward to seeing the changes / additions in your system. The turn table sounds excellent. Have you given any thought as to possible brands of turn tables at this time?

Cheers

-Robin

Mark, Love what you've done so far ! I too was thinking how a great T-table would look sitting on top !! I upgraded my analog section late last summer and although I am trully happy with my Music Hall mmf-9, if I did it again I would have waited a bit, saved some extra $$ and gone for the VPI, I think they are the best value overall in analog. I also understand your "HT" pains as well. I spent considerable time deciding which way to go with my system. I will say this.... if you goal is movies then by all means go with front projection and curtain treatments for the screen. It is the only way to really come close to the "theater" experience. No "TV" will ever compare, and I'm not talking about spending five figures on a projector either.

good luck, keep us posted as you move ahead !!

ps- I'm jealous of your Nelson Pass amp !!.......maybe someday !

Geesh.....didn't Tom ban you the last time you pulled a disappearing stunt like this?! :devil: :D

Glad to see you're back. :clap:

Hey there Kruppster! Actually Tom threatened me with making me a "Moderator" so I told him that someone else here was thinking of buying Bose speakers and they became a "Moderator" instead. Dodged that bullet!

Latest posts

Back