System #62 (Ascent, Script, Stage, Descent)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCWolfPck

Reaction score
1. Member Name: Scott Sylke

2. Location: Fredericksburg, VA

3. ML Model(s): Ascent, Stage, Cinema & Descent

4. Year Purchased: Ascents (2004), Scripts (2001), Descent (2004), Stage (2007)

5. Mods/Changes: None

6. Associated Electronics: See Component list here.

7. Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience: I've been hooked on MLs since I saw them at an audio store back in the late 90s. A few years ago I started of with the Aerius Is with Scipts and Cinema and a Sunfire Sig Sub. A couple of years ago I was able to upgrade to the Ascents w/ Descent and I'm loving every minute of it. As you other ML fans out there know....you can never get tired of listening to MLs. I have no future upgrade plans.

8. An image of your system: More Hi-Res Images can be found here.

Here you go:

1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure the better part of your day is coming home to this great set-up. Very nice indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
SugarMedia said:
I'm sure the better part of your day is coming home to this great set-up. Very nice indeed.

No, the better part of my day is looking at the systems on this website and thinking what my system could be like. :) Thanks though.

Beautiful system

Scott,

What a gorgeous all Martin Logan system!!! I am courious as to your room dimensions? What percentage of the time do you listen to music vs HT movies?
Also do you find the corner placement of your subwoofer to be optium for your HT?

You've got an awesome system! Welcome to the ML Onwers Club! :) :D

Cheers

-Robin

Love your system! How do you like the descent for movies as I yet to audition one as the Martin Logan dealer in my area sells Velodyne, B&W, Paradigm high end subs?

Luke

Robin said:
Scott,

What a gorgeous all Martin Logan system!!! I am courious as to your room dimensions? What percentage of the time do you listen to music vs HT movies?
Also do you find the corner placement of your subwoofer to be optium for your HT?

You've got an awesome system! Welcome to the ML Onwers Club! :) :D

Cheers

-Robin

Thanks Robin. The room dimensions for the actualy family room is 13'6" wide by 16' long. However, as you can probably tell from the photo that there is no right wall to this room. It opens up to a 16'x20' breakfast nook and kitchen area.

My viewing/listening percentage is probably around 50% TV, 30% movies, 20% music.

About the sub corner positioning, I placed it in the corner because that's where I thought was generally considered the best place to put it. However, I have been toying with the thought of moving it a couple of feet away from the corner so it would be between the left Ascent and TV. However, it sounds great where it is and I'm not sure if it will make it sound even better.....or worse.

Thanks again.

Scott

ltholley said:
Love your system! How do you like the descent for movies as I yet to audition one as the Martin Logan dealer in my area sells Velodyne, B&W, Paradigm high end subs?

Luke

I love the Descent for both movies AND music. I was extremely impressed with how much better it sounded compared to my previous subwoofer (Sunfire Signature Sub). I thought I had top-of-the line before....but the Descent took my HT and music to new places.

All of the brands that you listed also put out some very nice subs, but you have to go listen to the Descent before you decide. :)

I forgot to ask.....I am going to order some new rails for my Ascents, but was unsure which would match best with my Bello Rack. What do you all think, Natural Cherry or Dark Cherry? Thanks!!

KCWolfPck said:
I love the Descent for both movies AND music. I was extremely impressed with how much better it sounded compared to my previous subwoofer (Sunfire Signature Sub). I thought I had top-of-the line before....but the Descent took my HT and music to new places.

All of the brands that you listed also put out some very nice subs, but you have to go listen to the Descent before you decide. :)

No one can mess with the Descent in its price range. The Descent is one mean monster.

Very nice system - makes me jealous. :)

Very nice system KCWolfPck :)

Juste one question: you can sit four persons on one row. Since that row is quite large (due to the dimension of the armchairs), how well can those sitted on each end can benefit from the rear speakers? Is it well balanced?

pat17 said:
Very nice system KCWolfPck :)

Juste one question: you can sit four persons on one row. Since that row is quite large (due to the dimension of the armchairs), how well can those sitted on each end can benefit from the rear speakers? Is it well balanced?

Well, I always sit in the middle and the system is obviously calibrated for my seating position. I'm sure the sides don't have it as good. When my kids start complaining about the rear speaker balance....I'll let you know. :D

I've updated the pics. Things changed since last posted:

* I now have natural cherry trim on Ascents and Descent instead of black.
* Added a PS Audio Power Director 4.7
* Replaced black faceplates with silver faceplates on the B&K Ref 50 and Amp
* New PS Audio power cables all around
* Ran surround speaker cables into wall and through basement
* Straightened out cables for a cleaner appearance
* Moved sub out of corner and placed in between TV and Left speaker

So much for my statement in my original post. "I have no future upgrade plans" HAHA!!! I should have known better. One more item to add soon.....XBox 360 on Nov 22nd. Can't wait!!!

WOW great improvements...

KCWolfPck said:
I've updated the pics. Things changed since last posted:

* I now have natural cherry trim on Ascents and Descent instead of black.
* Added a PS Audio Power Director 4.7
* Replaced black faceplates with silver faceplates on the B&K Ref 50 and Amp
* New PS Audio power cables all around
* Ran surround speaker cables into wall and through basement
* Straightened out cables for a cleaner appearance
* Moved sub out of corner and placed in between TV and Left speaker

So much for my statement in my original post. "I have no future upgrade plans" HAHA!!! I should have known better. One more item to add soon.....XBox 360 on Nov 22nd. Can't wait!!!

Scott,

You have such a beautiful home. It must be great to watch Kill Bill 1 & 2, with beautiful 'Samuri' swords hanging near by... :D Don't you just love the "Natural Cherry" trim on the Ascents and Descent? I have that trim too. Your system looks so neat and professional in your goregous home.

My son has pre-ordered the XBox 360 too... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Updated - Recently added a Samsung HL-S6187W 1080p HDTV and a Cambridge Audio Azur 640H Digital Music Server. I thought I'd update my system.

Also note that I updated links in my original post. One for my Component List and another link to more pictures.

Last edited:
Ok, It's been a while since I've updated my photos. In additional to adding the Anthem and Blu-ray player for XMas, I just got an Escient MX-531 and a Sony ES DVD changer to store all of my DVDs. I'm loving it far more than the Cambridge Audio server it replaced.

New photos can be seen here. Here are a couple samples:

I'm thinking about getting the Stage to replace the Cinema. Any opinions?

Last edited:
Update: I've now made the following changes to my system:

1) Replaced Cinema with Stage
2) Replaced 61" DLP with a Panasonic PT-AE2000U 1080p projector coupled with a Carada Criterion 100" 16:9 BW screen (1.4 gain)
3) Moved main speakers closer together
4) Painted wall

Last edited:
Ok....transformation from 61" DLP to projection system is complete.

Changes since last update:

- Placed components in new component stand (BDI Avion 8529)
- Placed sub in corner and moved mains even closer together
- Added some LED backlighting for night-time music listening

Updated photos:
CIMG1322.jpg

CIMG1330.jpg

CIMG1332.jpg

Screenshot:
CIMG1445.jpg

Backlighting:
CIMG1460.jpg

More photo and screenshots here (check sub-folders).

Scott
LOOKS GREAT!!

How's the soundstage sound without the projection Tv in the middle?

I think I need a Babysitter!:D

Scott,

I'm a little unclear on the specs of your preamp. Have you updated the AVM50 and the BDPS1? With that combo are you able to listen to Dolby TureHD?

Thanks!

Back