System #61 (Odyssey)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gain for mc cartridge

jjqiv
I was away from the cyberworld for nearly 3 weeks on a/c of vacations etc. Have checked with the manufacturer of the preamp. A moving coil cartridge should be no problem. Would a new cartridge really make a distinct improvement? Was planning to further improve the insulation of the TT by placing it on a granite slab. The problem as I see it is that the sound appears a bit thin so much so that I almost prefer cd playback!! A friend tells me that the problem could be with cartridge loading. I am not sure that I really understand what this means. Anyway he has promised to comeover on the weekend and investigate.
Cheers and have a great year

a quick update

Recent pics showing the twin mono blocs, a new audio rack etc. Will borrow a better camera and post some sharper pics soon.
Cheers

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 220
  • Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 211
Sunnyboy 1956 said:
jjqiv
I was away from the cyberworld for nearly 3 weeks on a/c of vacations etc. Have checked with the manufacturer of the preamp. A moving coil cartridge should be no problem. Would a new cartridge really make a distinct improvement? Was planning to further improve the insulation of the TT by placing it on a granite slab. The problem as I see it is that the sound appears a bit thin so much so that I almost prefer cd playback!! A friend tells me that the problem could be with cartridge loading. I am not sure that I really understand what this means. Anyway he has promised to comeover on the weekend and investigate.
Cheers and have a great year

Yes, cartridges can make a big difference. Still, the Arum shouldn't sound real thin. It may be a setup issue. It the platter level? Is cartridge properly aligned and have the correct traking force? As far as isolation goes, a wall shelf is the best way to go. DIY options are easy or you can buy one. How does the table sound without the inner tube under it? Cartridge loading would be an issue for MC cartridges.

better pics

jjqim
some pics with better lighting.Have done away with the bicycle tube under the TT. Probably contributed some instability. I think my TT problems are largely setup problems compounded by less than optimal room acoustics. Am working on it.
Cheers

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 200
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 220
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 198
  • 5.jpg