System #545 (CLX)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan F.

Reaction score
CLX Art speakers with JL Audio e110 subwoofers. Amp is Mark Levinson 585 integrated. Sources are Marantz SA-10 for CD/SACD, Project The Classic turntable with Sumiko blue point #2 cartridge and ifi iphono 2 preamp, dCS network bridge for Roon. Cabling is all Audience Au24 SX. GIK absorber panels behind speakers. Room is 23x16x8.75
800E70D9-6AE1-4D8C-88D2-F472710FD732.jpeg
669CD209-A0F8-49F6-84FB-EC2F6E75D380.jpeg
ADB795DE-0C9E-4CD4-8387-D19E8F2511B5.jpeg

Still making slight positioning adjustments, but getting great imaging now with speakers 5' from front wall and 3' from side walls, and toed in slightly. Once I'm sure of final position I will install the spikes. Just turned on the subs today as well so fine-tuning the sub volume. It was quite easy to find the null and get the right phase adjustment. Since this room is now my office I am looking forward to work days a bit more now. I can't imagine ever getting the itch to change from these speakers. My first "real" speakers were Thiel 3.6, followed by Genesis V (I really liked these but they weren't really going to work for home theater); then next 2 channel setup was Paradigm stand-mount Signature S2 (v. 2); then in this room I inherited some 25 year-old SL3s that introduced me to the magic of electrostatic speakers. While I enjoyed them, I could tell (compared to the Paradigm's beryllium tweeter) that they were getting tired (yes I vacuumed them). So, given that I had the room to accommodate the CLX, I knew they would sound incredible. I am surprised just how special they are. While there may be certain things high-end cone speakers can do better, I doubt for the kind of sound I'm looking for that the CLX can be bettered. I can't say that I have heard a lot of other high-end speakers, but at this point I don't feel the need to. Thanks to Shawn at DaVinci Media for his help in getting me to this point.

How do you go about using spikes on a nice hardwood floor? Is there something you can put down under the spike to protect the floor from getting destroyed? What if your speakers weigh 135 lbs? The Prodigy speakers I have dont have spikes now, but I have some for my depth i sub and took those off when we put down hardwood.

I have round metal discs with a small dimple in the middle that the spikes can rest on. Got them years ago from audio advisor.

You are going to love these speakers!!

For the CLX owners- have you ended up tilting them back or forward at all vs. standard? I’ve noticed soundstage image could maybe be a touch higher but maybe I just need to get used to the presentation.

Mine was low also at first so toed in and that helped a lot.

Curious - what are your room dimensions? Right now the inside corner of the CLX are 5" closer to the front wall than the outside corners. Not sure what angle degree that represents (I was told there would be no math....)

CLX Art speakers with JL Audio e110 subwoofers. Amp is Mark Levinson 585 integrated. Sources are Marantz SA-10 for CD/SACD, Project The Classic turntable with Sumiko blue point #2 cartridge and ifi iphono 2 preamp, dCS network bridge for Roon. Cabling is all Audience Au24 SX. GIK absorber panels behind speakers. Room is 23x16x8.75View attachment 20755View attachment 20756View attachment 20757

Very nice! I just bought a pair of CLX’s and I’m looking forward to hooking them up. I noticed your GIK panel. Is that a 242 or a bass trap? The reason I ask is because I have the GIK 6A Alpha panel behind my Odyssey speakers and soon the CLX speakers. The Alpha 6A was a recommendation by GIK to have the Alpha with the scatter plate to create a even larger and wider sound stage and the 6A does exactly that!

Attachments

• 77438BE6-45AF-4D36-973E-49EF84C67B3F.jpeg
    77438BE6-45AF-4D36-973E-49EF84C67B3F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
I have the GIK 242 absorber panel. When I had the SL3 it was recommended to absorb the back wave to avoid comb filtering effect from reflected sound off the front wall. With the SL3 I thought it was a big improvement in image focus. I know some feel diffraction is better than absorption. The absorption also may not be as much of a requirement if speakers are pulled far enough into the room. Mine are 5’ from the front wall. I can try taking them down and see how it sounds. But I think based on the SL3 experience I’m going to prefer keeping them in place. They won’t be as much of an absorber for the CLX at any rate given the larger panel size.

I have the GIK 242 absorber panel. When I had the SL3 it was recommended to absorb the back wave to avoid comb filtering effect from reflected sound off the front wall. With the SL3 I thought it was a big improvement in image focus. I know some feel diffraction is better than absorption. The absorption also may not be as much of a requirement if speakers are pulled far enough into the room. Mine are 5’ from the front wall. I can try taking them down and see how it sounds. But I think based on the SL3 experience I’m going to prefer keeping them in place. They won’t be as much of an absorber for the CLX at any rate given the larger panel size.
That’s what is great about the alpha panel it does both. It absorbs and diffuses all in one panel with random scattering.

For the CLX owners- have you ended up tilting them back or forward at all vs. standard? I’ve noticed soundstage image could maybe be a touch higher but maybe I just need to get used to the presentation.
First things first. The CLX Art loudspeakers look resplendent. Congratulations.

Second, whenI just acquired my ESL9 the soundstage image could perhaps be a touch higher. Seem to me top quarter of panel was producing no sound. A quick fix was to reduce back tilt to maximum so the panels are more or less vertical. Soundstage height improved but still sound still not from full panel. I do not remember time period with accuracy but was long time before I got to hear the full panel produce soundstage.

Finally i read a longtime ago for CLS back tilt suitable if listening is done standing up. No back tilt if listening done when not standing.

Update on my system - DAC/streamer is now dCS Bartok, preamp Pass Labs XP-22, amp Pass Labs X250.8, interconnects and speaker cables now Audience frontRow, shunyata power cables. I’m thrilled with the sound.

Back