System #503 (CLX Art)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian don’t see why they would not work on any faceplate. It comes with two foam overlays with a plastic pin to place in the two grounds. Then remove the adhesive plastic then position around the foam overlays for perfect alignment then just remove the pins and foam. Some of my plug terminations fit tighter then others but even if not tight it keeps the plug from sagging. Nordost cables are so stiff it helps a lot for cables that are more flexible probably not needed.
I think I understand what you are saying and it's probably very straightforward if I actually saw it in person. I've been using various AudioQuest cables for all my power and while I doubt they are as stiff as the Nordosts, some of them are pretty tough to deal with. I need a couple of power cables for my new surround amp (Anthem P5) that's on it's way in. This big boy takes two 15A power cords and can draw 1800W on each so I just came to another realization that I probably need to run each to a different circuit off my main panel... as opposed to just plugging them into the same duplex outlet and calling it a day. :unsure: Our friend Shawn wants me to consider using a pair of the equivalent Nordost cables for this application, but I sort of hate to drift down another path as I soon could find myself replacing every power cable in my entire system! :ROFLMAO:

Sounds like a good idea on another separate duplex plus it sounds like it’s pretty easy to do on that wall.

Just got my newest PC

That cable is Sexy as Hell! And I just PMed Brian that I wanted to know what those outlet supports were in your photo. LOL He must have read my mind before I even asked the question or saw this thread. LOL Thanks for the info I'm going to pick 2 of those up for sure. System is looking amazing!

Thanks for comments. Yes I like them ss well

Stirling came flew in Sunday night and started Monday on my system. First took down my rack and internally went over the DAC, pre and both boxes of the Aurender. Tightening and cleaning connections. Then rebuilt the rack with a 3 place decimal digital level controlled by his iPhone. He is super impressed with my rack design and look. He then went on to level the amps, QSource/QKore rack on the right and QB8 on the left with QV2’s and QK1’s. Forgot to mention reordered the rack with the Aurender with the Screen on top and Bricasti pre and DAC below it I had the DAC on top just cause it runs hotter but it’s working fine in the lower rack
36C0A067-9A8F-4425-9E7A-F467CD18EF67.jpeg

Last edited:
2nd day now we get to speaker placement. Started on the left speaker around 10 now it’s just after 2 and getting close he says. Excited in what all my room and component changes are doing for the sound.
B64070CE-7DF6-403A-999F-5D6AADD079F3.jpeg

As a further note he really really likes these speakers and that is saying a lot he has seen most speakers with many many times the cost of CLX’s. This weekend he is leaving for Singapore. I still don’t understand why ML discontinued these and for years after the introduction of their latest hybrid models like 5 years ago completely abandoned all advertising and never played them at audio shows.

As a further note he really really likes these speakers and that is saying a lot he has seen most speakers with many many times the cost of CLX’s. This weekend he is leaving for Singapore. I still don’t understand why ML discontinued these and for years after the introduction of their latest hybrid models like 5 years ago completely abandoned all advertising and never played them at audio shows.
Speculation is the cost to manufacture was just getting too high. I wish ML would put out a statement to their customers.

Robert they can certainly charge more I think customers would have no problem. Dennis C from ML said for years at shows this speaker they should charge more. I heard the wood guy retired. The wood is great but does not look that complicated for some else to master.

Robert they can certainly charge more I think customers would have no problem. Dennis C from ML said for years at shows this speaker they should charge more. I heard the wood guy retired. The wood is great but does not look that complicated for some else to master.
That's my thought about the price too. It just doesn't make any sense. Maybe the volume they sell per year was just too small to justify producing them?

They produce the insanely expensive Neolith though, can't imagine they sell a lot of them.

Volume low?? I guess when you don’t advertise or display at shows that’s kind of what happens after years of doing that. Like I said once the new lower series came out ML totally ignored the CLX. I had a couple of people come to my home as nobody had them on display in the entire US including ML. A lot of dealers thought they were obsolescence when there was a few years to go. Talk about a poor way to handle this product. They could of came out with a special package that included 2 210 or 212 subs but never happened.

. I still don’t understand why ML discontinued these and for years after the introduction of their latest hybrid models like 5 years ago completely abandoned all advertising and never played them at audio shows.
It seems that, from the get-go, Sanders and Sutherland believed that hybrid was the way to go. They never actively plugged the full range line. The CLS was introduced a few years after the Monolith, evolved through II, IIa, IIz, then was discontinued. The CLX started at a much higher price point. The one time I heard them was at a show in NYC. Dennis was there, and made a point that the criticism of no bass was greatly exaggerated.

I ended up getting a pair of Ascents, but never cared for the bass. Eventually I found a pair of CLS II's, and have never looked back. I think the latest generation of hybrids could sway my thinking about full range, but at this point I'm so enthralled with the CLS II's (and the money for either the Masterpiece series or used CLX's is beyond my practical means, and could be better spent somewhere else) that I'm by no means actively looking.

I'm not sure how much, if any, involvement, in the company Sanders has now, but I think there's a corporate philosophy favoring hybrids.

The silver obround is to hold the plug from drooping. Furutech sells these for their duplexes. The horizontal outlets I just wanted low and just thought they looked better.
So you mounted them neutral up, correct? These days for more common vertical mounting, ground up is preferred, to reduce the likelihood of something falling between plug and receptacle and becoming live. I imagine codes have something to say about horizontal mounting too. Of course, if your using some elaborate kind of plug retention it may not matter.

Back