System #503 (CLX Art)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have posted any changes for quite sometime but my system has certainly evolved in many ways. I’ll update my signature with the details but the DAC, amps, Aurender and cables have all been updated. Added another Nordost QKore, QPoints and a QSource. On the digital side added a Sotm switch with its own dedicated power supply including upgrading all network to AQ Diamond. The impact of all this has been profound and if interested would be happy to answer questions.

However my main reason to update is my latest addition is in wall power and grounding. To not make this too long I will address each separately.

Grounding first. I’ve been a big fan starting with My first Entreq box. Since then Nordost QKore both excellent products. But once I cleaned up my digital with Sotm switch I got to wondering about the power side.
If you have ever tried to measure just how good your ground is at your panel you will find out it’s not an easy process even if you know where your ground rods are which I did not. So I found and purchased a clamp on ground tester. Long story short went fro around 10ohms to .092 ohms as my panel ground. This was step one next is power.

Attachments

• 0BC45D63-F521-4A1D-92EE-5BEC8928164F.jpeg
    0BC45D63-F521-4A1D-92EE-5BEC8928164F.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 24
Power. I will be getting into a touchy subject here but power cords do make a difference for those who agree continue others read at your own risk.
In another forum heard about this in wall wire EE / F-S 2.6 |電線・ケーブル・オーディオ・専門店 小柳出電気商会(オヤイデ、oyaide) and the good comments that past users had so decided to get it. I only have about a 25’ run so at $60/ft it was not bad. Previous I had 12 ga romex 10ga fully shielded. Terminated with Furutech duplex, wall and cover plate. Other used Silver/Tungsten circuit breakers and updated the tin over aluminum ground buss bars with Tin over copper. The results of having great ground ( technically the standard is below 15 ohms but for audio need below 5 and obviously the closer to 0 the better)
Will post what I heard next

I turned the system on about noon and then left the house shortly thereafter until about 3 as it was down about 4 days. I’m just so impressed how the Oyaide wire, improved grounding and upgraded outlets improved my sound. I actually could not stop listening ended up going to bed around 2am!!!

As a starting point had 12ga romex and ground tested out at 10 ohms which was well below the 15 ohm electrical standard but not good for audio. I’m now at .092 ohms. It was a dedicated line but with multiple outlets now just one. Tried to upgrade the old line to 10 romex but did not work without major drywall work.

I’m a big fan of cables particularly power cables but takes what I’ve heard them do before to a all new level. Really like the look of the Furutech setup!!

Also tested for noise in my line with a volt meter the common blade in a duplex to the ground of what a system is plugged into. I just tested mine it’s 0 volts on the neutral side and 120volts on the hot side.

So here are my observations:

1. The system is a bit louder like 1- 2 dB. I know it’s not it’s must that the background is more quiet and my system was quiet to begin with in my opinion but apparently not.
2. The bass is better actually one if my favorite improvements. Not louder just more authority to it. My bass was already good just ask Tim G! What’s not to like about good solid deep bass!!
3. The attack of the notes is much quicker over the whole spectrumThis was very noticeable.
4. Depth of the sound has improved but the width has greatly increased.
5. Hearing little things here and there I don’t remember hearing before and in general better clarity.

Best upgrade in a long time highly recommended!!

Hola GW,
You are right!, and that's the reason why I went with a balanced AC line conditioner. This device offers the quietness operation available. We all have heard a blender motor, a mixer motor or a vacuum cleaner motor through our speakers. And this unwanted noise is coming in the pour ground connectors, and loosen ground cables at their connectors of our house.

What you just did, is what all the audiophiles should do too. Great job GW!!!

Happy listening!

Roberto I was thinking like I said about Balanced as this is another way to get good power on top of what I have done but not longer. But yes I agree balanced is another way to get to the same end.

I had a guy come in to professionally set up my speakers. The results are fabulous!! I did have a love seat on the right side that is now gone and the speakers are out about 4' with the subs behind. Huge improvement on sound stage, texture in the bass and imaging. Very happy with the results. Attached are pictures of the results and how the room started. The cable management is just a work of art that no one will understand except audiophiles.

Attachments

• IMG_7490.jpg
    IMG_7490.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_7491.jpg
    IMG_7491.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_7492.jpg
    IMG_7492.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_7493.jpg
    IMG_7493.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7125.jpg
    IMG_7125.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 78
One more thing for those that know Nordost the QX4's were placed on each speaker with very good results. In the before picture you can see I had them on a shelf in the rack running the power through them. So obviously one shelf was removed once the QX4's were placed on the CLX's which is a good thing to lower the rack.

Looks like you have at least 5" of toe-in there - have experimented with different amounts of toe-in?

I had a guy come in to professionally set up my speakers. The results are fabulous!! I did have a love seat on the right side that is now gone and the speakers are out about 4' with the subs behind. Huge improvement on sound stage, texture in the bass and imaging. Very happy with the results. Attached are pictures of the results and how the room started. The cable management is just a work of art that no one will understand except audiophiles.
Can you tell me who you used to professionally set these up? Thanks!

The second day he spend hours on the left speaker placement so yes toe-in, rake and room placement were all totally reviewed for the optimal placement.

Thanks Brad. Planning next year now.

Working on a rack from end cut bamboo and Nordost Sort Fut

FDDFEA6E-B95A-4298-B982-F80782107716.jpeg

Any comments or like usual nothing??!!

Maybe over your head. Just never really know as this group is so much about getting something for nothing but audio does not work that way.

I don't remember if I posted this here Mike.
I built this for an audio friend from counter top slabs. He loved the improvement in sound from his lesser rack.

It ended up weighing well over 200 lbs. Don't get your fingers pinched under large pieces it is not forgiving.

3r2Eua9RQF2MAg0Z%g9L5A.jpg

Brad looks nice. Was it made from end cut bamboo?

Back