System #49 (SL3)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjcarr

Reaction score
Upgraded from Aerius to SL3's:

Name: James Carroll
Model: SL3
Year Purchased: 2007

Speakers:
Martin Logan SL3's
Custom line array surrounds
Custom Peerless 10" passive radiator sub
I'm not a fan of center channels, so I phantom it.

Electronics:
Lexicon MC1 processor
NHT amp2 icepower amp
Monster Power Line conditioner
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray
Apple TV piping lossless audio via digital interconnect to the processor

Cables
DIY pure silver interconnects
Cardas interconnects to the subs (10' interconnects)
DIY shielded power cables on all audio electronics and the speakers, these use Pass & Seymore connectors and Belden cable
The speaker cables I honestly don't remember the brand, got them at a show, I'll see if I can dig up info.

Misc
Toshiba 80hr Tivo II with DVD
Vizio 50 Plasma TV
Tivo 3 w/extended hd
Ikea cabinets

Details
Started out with SL3's about 6 years ago, then got CLS's, Innersound Eros, then ReQuests. Downscaled the system to Magnepan MG10qr's, but couldn't live without that stat magic. Got some Aerius', but found a great deal on some SL3's again.

The room is about 15'x16'. The SL3's are about the biggest speaker I'd want to put in this room though.

I use a home-made sub which use a Peerless 10" long-excursion driver and 10" passive radiator. It is powered by 250w plate amps from Madisound. The specs on the sub called for a much bigger box, but I found by accident that the smaller box (13"x13"x13") makes them very musical.

logans2.jpg

logans1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking clean system James.

I used to use Aerius i's and Definitive Tech BP10's for the rears with a C1 center channel for a couple of years. The system will always change and evolve. :rolleyes:

Nice set up (clean is a good word), but I have a few questions about the sub's.

1. How are they hooked up to your system?

2. That is to say does the preamp have a dual or seperate "out" for the subs, or do you have to "split" your signal another way?

3. If that's not a center speaker sitting on top of the TV, then what is it?

4. This is late in the game to be buying an orginal pair of Aerius speakers (mine are holding up well), did you or the previous owner replace the stats or wash them or what?

kach22i said:
...I have a few questions about the sub's.

1. How are they hooked up to your system?

2. That is to say does the preamp have a dual or seperate "out" for the subs, or do you have to "split" your signal another way?

The Meridian supports stereo sub preamp output with separate right and left sub channels, and does the crossover internally. It also supports a direct output mode that doesn't do any processing (well, less anyway) and cuts the subs out of the system for when I want to listen to pure music.

3. If that's not a center speaker sitting on top of the TV, then what is it?

Tivo

4. This is late in the game to be buying an orginal pair of Aerius speakers (mine are holding up well), did you or the previous owner replace the stats or wash them or what?

No indication from the previous owner that they had, or had not, been replaced, but they are in excellent shape.

Here's a shot of the system at night, the camera makes it look brighter than it really is...
aeriusnight.jpg

Nice, but I have to ask if you have a maid/cleaning service come in, or vacume behind there your self. It's just so clean, like you just moved in.

I have to clean the stereo area(s) myself. Trained my wife on that long ago - told her not to even spay anything within ten feet of the speakers.

Spay............ like Pledge spray wax.

We have a cat, and she does not spray either. :D

kach22i said:
Nice, but I have to ask if you have a maid/cleaning service come in, or vacume behind there your self. It's just so clean, like you just moved in.

Nah, just recently put the Aerius in there so I vaccumed before arranging everything.

Nice system!

I think that night pic looks familiar. Have I seen it before on anotehr site? I've made a comment on someone's pic who had lights put behind their MLs like in yours.

One last question - where did you get your cabinet?

Peter_Klim said:
Nice system!

I think that night pic looks familiar. Have I seen it before on anotehr site? I've made a comment on someone's pic who had lights put behind their MLs like in yours.

One last question - where did you get your cabinet?

I had lights behind my ReQuests which were a member system on the old site.
It's an Ikea cabinet.

Just Upgraded to SL3's

Update, sold the Aerius, got some SL3's. Updated the original post.

Question? What kind of lighst are you using behind your speakers?? Thanks

Man, I forgot my system was still up here...I'll have to update it....

Those are HomeDepot can up-lights. About $12 each. Little white cans with swivel bases. I use 20w mini projection-style bulbs.

Please do update it for us all - with pictures; we're all picture Ho's here.

Hey, are you still in Golden? I'd like to try to set up a regional meet sometime soon for the Colorado guys.

Please do update it for us all - with pictures; we're all picture Ho's here.

Hey, are you still in Golden? I'd like to try to set up a regional meet sometime soon for the Colorado guys.

Nah, I'm a Texan at heart, had to come back to Austin. Will do on the pics...

Back