System #461 (Theos)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktchnman

Reaction score
Name - Scotty Wolfson

Location - Ocala, Fl.

Speakers-Martin-Logan Theos and Dynamic 700 Sub, purchased 12/12.

Pre-Audio Research SP-11 Mk II Pre-amp, upgraded caps and wiring (Jan. 2013). Work done by Bill Thalmann at Music Technology.
Amp-Cary 200.2 Power Amp, Mark Levinson # 27 Power Amp
Source(s)-Audio Research Reference CD-8,
-McIntosh MR 71 Tuner, with "Modafferi Mod". Work done by Richard Modafferi himself, at Audio Classics (Dec 2012). Every tube is ORIGINAL (mid-late '60's) McIntosh and checks good!!
-Rega P-5 TT, w/Groovetracer Reference sub-platter, Groovetracer Delrin platter, Mitchell Delrin clamp,
external power supply, RB-700 Tonearm, Rega P-9 feet, Rega Apheta MC Cart.. Phono input for cart set at 30 Ohms.
-Nakamichi CR-5A Cassette Deck, refurbished by Willy Hermann (Dec. 2012).
-Stax SRM-1 "Professional" headphone amp and SR-A Lambda Electrostatic "Professional" earspeakers,
-Mapleshade Samson v.2 4-shelf Equipment Rack, custom height, and Maple Isolation Platforms w/Micropoint Heavyfeet Brass footers, also by Mapleshade
-All Interconnects, Power Cords and Speaker Cables are Moon Audio "Black Dragon", w/WBT connectors and locking gold bananas.
-VPI 16.5 Record Cleaner
-P S Audio "Quintet" distribution center
-Now using a pr.of PrimaLuna Prologue 7 Mono Blocks (August 2013)
-Now using a Rogue Audio "Medusa" Hybrid Class D amp (May 2013)
-Rolled tubes in amp to "Black Sable" 12AU7's (Tube Depot) cryo RCA clear tops
-Rolled tubes in Pre-amp to Telefunken (German, circa 1968!!), cryo treated (Upscale Audio)....wow, very nice. (June 2013)
-Rolled Regulator tube in ARC CD-8 to Russian SED 6550 "Winged C" w/cryo treatment (Upscale Audio) (June 2013).

Attachments

• System sm.jpg
    System sm.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,782
  • MR 71 sm.jpg
    MR 71 sm.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,394
  • P-5 sm.jpg
    P-5 sm.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,592
  • CD-8 sm.jpg
    CD-8 sm.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,363
  • electronics sm.jpg
    electronics sm.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,533
Last edited:
hey Scotty, always good to have another vinyl guy aboard !

Yeah, I hear tell they're working on some new-fangled stuff (LOL). Vinyl is my love, without question.

Welcome from another vinyl guy here too. I really like the look of that Mapleshade Sampson rack!

Thank you.
I wouldn't have believed it unless I heard it. I started with the 4" piece for my amp, and there was an instant improvement. So that got me started, and everything they've told me has been true, (so far anyway). It will be a beast if I ever have to move it, though. It weighs a ton, LOL. I had the regular 4 shelf rack made a few inches taller than "standard" so I would have plenty of room for the tube units and the top-loading CD player. They cut the posts on site, so it was a very minimal charge. I usually talk to Eldon when I call them.
Have you ever listened to any of the CD's they've produced? Probably the cleanest, most dynamic digital music I've ever heard. Great stage and depth. His entire minimalist philosophy in recording is right on the money.

Very nice system. I love the toys you have to play vinyl .

I was going to venture into spinning records but man it turned out to be expensive so I went digital with some tubes

Back